Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

10 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Has there been an update to this project?

This is a very short extension of the infrastructure so I'm surprised they are putting the East Bayfront portion to Cherry St first. They should both be done at the same time and forget about the Villager Island extension for now.

I was talking with a friend of mine and we were shooting the breeze about the old days and I pointed out that this one's good because 4500, 4549, and the PCCs up at Halton don't have them.  His response was that most people here wouldn't be old enough to remember, fair enough 1991 was 30 years ago(!), so I thought I'd better explain the picture:

BEE9DBBD-5316-49BB-B3C4-01645350BC34.thumb.jpeg.bab78e0e618fae60633d734cc0bf21c0.jpeg

This is a window crank from a TTC PCC car.  The A8s, 4500-4549, which were rebuilt into the A15 4600 series cars that hung on until the end in late 1995 didn't have these which is why someone that's only experienced PCCs at HCRR or on 4500 and 4549 in Toronto wouldn't be familiar with these.  On everything before the A8 class and on many of the used PCCs, you'd reach up and spin the crank to open or close the windows.  That's what I was getting at about the beautiful spring weather.  PCCs had a generous amount of window space that could be opened up compared to the CLRVs and ALRVs so on a nice day, you could go for a ride with tons of fresh air and a beautiful breeze through the whole car.

Dropping all the windows completely open in a Gloucester car was another get a breeze through the whole thing, especially with the cool tunnel air, that was another warm spring day treat after the winter.

Honestly, the bloody awful 2020-2021 pandemic environment has me seriously nostalgic for the old days of just enjoying the simple pleasure of going out for a ride unencumbered by anything.

I seem to recall that some of the 4400s had cranks and some had thumb latches. And some had robin's egg blue seats, and some had maroon seats (the non rebuilt ones, of course).

To nitpick further, if you got a ride on 4000 at HCRR, you got window cranks.

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I seem to recall that some of the 4400s had cranks and some had thumb latches. And some had robin's egg blue seats, and some had maroon seats (the non rebuilt ones, of course).

I'm really having trouble remembering if the 4400s were mixed.  All the ones I remember specifically and truth be told, I didn't really pay much attention to fleet numbers back then apart from trolley buses to see if a new one showed up at Eglinton that I hadn't been on yet.  Give me a PCC or a Gloucester back then and I was happy; it didn't matter which one it was.

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

To nitpick further, if you got a ride on 4000 at HCRR, you got window cranks.

I agree, this is true, but that car's seen such little service at HCRR outside of the first couple of years of the 2000s plus they keep the doors padlocked on it so it isn't possible to go see the interior that it's probably as outside of the experience of a lot of the younger members here as were the junkers before they got pulled in 1991. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I made three footages of uncommon subway events on the TTC. I am not sure if they are the first of that kind to be filmed that clearly. They have became my "hits" on my YouTube channel. I hope they can be edited and posted on TikTok, so please suggest for any improvements! 🧐

Recently, I added subtitles so there will be less waiting as my percentage viewed aint too good, and I am still waiting for actual footage of a train heading beyond the Sheppard station on Line 4...

The Eglinton Center Track

The Vaughan Tail Track

• Confused 1

The train going past VMC is just going into the tail track. Many reasons, but most likely a changeoff train for one coming in with mechanical issues, or just staging a spare train.

Not all that uncommon, happens multiple times a day.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I read on the Queensway Division Facebook group that bay 6 is currently being torn down. Just thought that some of you would like to know

Bay 6 at which station?

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

How come TTC spec the LFS with the rearmost windows sealed when I see other systems have that openable?

It’s a spec choice by the agency because sometimes you’ll have outside exhaust come into the bus, OC Transpo for example has the back windows closed on their 60ft

it also may not be needed on smaller agencies that don’t sit in stop and go traffic all day like Toronto 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

It’s a spec choice by the agency because sometimes you’ll have outside exhaust come into the bus, OC Transpo for example has the back windows closed on their 60ft

it also may not be needed on smaller agencies that don’t sit in stop and go traffic all day like Toronto 

Which then begs the question why the Orion VIIs all have that rearmost window openable...

5 hours ago, Orion V said:

Which then begs the question why the Orion VIIs all have that rearmost window openable...

Different times, different exhaust pipes and systems. It could very well be that the exhaust pipe didn’t have smoke make its way into the bus, or simply that nobody thought of it in the days of diesel VIIs 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, MK78 said:

The train going past VMC is just going into the tail track. Many reasons, but most likely a changeoff train for one coming in with mechanical issues, or just staging a spare train.

Not all that uncommon, happens multiple times a day.

Hahaha. Which times are the best for seeing a train pull into a tailtrack? In my impression one train, out of service, always arrives at the left VMC tailtrack every weekday midnight. It is that one impression which led me to infer that they do that regularly, and what interests me to film that footage.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

Hahaha. Which times are the best for seeing a train pull into a tailtrack? In my impression one train, out of service, always arrives at the left VMC tailtrack every weekday midnight. It is that one impression which led me to infer that they do that regularly, and what interests me to film that footage.

They didnt built a cross over in the tail track?

On 6/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, bus_7246 said:

I read on the Queensway Division Facebook group that bay 6 is currently being torn down. Just thought that some of you would like to know

So this could mean Islington Station could start the major overhaul, right?

I have a feeling that they will demolish that old bus-bay and replace to the one similar style to Kipling. I am wondering how it will be. 

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

I have a feeling that they will demolish that old bus-bay and replace to the one similar style to Kipling. I am wondering how it will be. 

The current redesign plan for Warden station looks very similar to Kipling's Miway/GO terminal.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

I think there are guides available on the website divisioninfo.net that detail when and which trains enter into tail tracks. Look under the subway run guides section.

3 hours ago, raptorjays said:

With MiWay poised to take over the 50 BURNHAMTHORPE (and the 49 BLOOR WEST) that's one less route needing a bay in the new terminal.  All that would be left will be the 37 ISLINGTON, 110 ISLINGTON SOUTH and 937 ISLINGTON ROCKET.  It will have a much smaller footprint than the current terminal and will hopefully be conducive to having something built on top to recoup the cost of both demolition of the existing terminal and construction of the new one.

15 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Well.......yes and no.

The current issue is that the structural slab that the bus bays are built upon is failing.

By tearing down Bay 6, they will be able to open up the south end of the property, and build a temporary loop/terminal that doesn't require the buses to operate on the slab. That is the immediate priority

In the long run, the plan is to build a permanent - and smaller - bus terminal where the current kiss-and-ride is. And while the station is supposed to be made accessible by 2025, it seems that we're still a long way away from that happening.

Dan

3 hours ago, Dil said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a forum on here for TTC route/system maps, and their design?

I don't want to unnecessarily create a new forum.

Thanks in advance 

I don’t believe there’s one for TTC route/system maps, but there’s an extensive collection of previous maps over the years on the Transit Toronto webpage

https://transittoronto.ca/index.shtml