Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Last year, I made three footages of uncommon subway events on the TTC. I am not sure if they are the first of that kind to be filmed that clearly. They have became my "hits" on my YouTube channel. I hope they can be edited and posted on TikTok, so please suggest for any improvements! 🧐

Recently, I added subtitles so there will be less waiting as my percentage viewed aint too good, and I am still waiting for actual footage of a train heading beyond the Sheppard station on Line 4...

The Eglinton Center Track

The Vaughan Tail Track

• Confused 1

The train going past VMC is just going into the tail track. Many reasons, but most likely a changeoff train for one coming in with mechanical issues, or just staging a spare train.

Not all that uncommon, happens multiple times a day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

How come TTC spec the LFS with the rearmost windows sealed when I see other systems have that openable?

It’s a spec choice by the agency because sometimes you’ll have outside exhaust come into the bus, OC Transpo for example has the back windows closed on their 60ft

it also may not be needed on smaller agencies that don’t sit in stop and go traffic all day like Toronto 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

It’s a spec choice by the agency because sometimes you’ll have outside exhaust come into the bus, OC Transpo for example has the back windows closed on their 60ft

it also may not be needed on smaller agencies that don’t sit in stop and go traffic all day like Toronto 

Which then begs the question why the Orion VIIs all have that rearmost window openable...

5 hours ago, Orion V said:

Which then begs the question why the Orion VIIs all have that rearmost window openable...

Different times, different exhaust pipes and systems. It could very well be that the exhaust pipe didn’t have smoke make its way into the bus, or simply that nobody thought of it in the days of diesel VIIs 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, MK78 said:

The train going past VMC is just going into the tail track. Many reasons, but most likely a changeoff train for one coming in with mechanical issues, or just staging a spare train.

Not all that uncommon, happens multiple times a day.

Hahaha. Which times are the best for seeing a train pull into a tailtrack? In my impression one train, out of service, always arrives at the left VMC tailtrack every weekday midnight. It is that one impression which led me to infer that they do that regularly, and what interests me to film that footage.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

Hahaha. Which times are the best for seeing a train pull into a tailtrack? In my impression one train, out of service, always arrives at the left VMC tailtrack every weekday midnight. It is that one impression which led me to infer that they do that regularly, and what interests me to film that footage.

They didnt built a cross over in the tail track?

On 6/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, bus_7246 said:

I read on the Queensway Division Facebook group that bay 6 is currently being torn down. Just thought that some of you would like to know

So this could mean Islington Station could start the major overhaul, right?

I have a feeling that they will demolish that old bus-bay and replace to the one similar style to Kipling. I am wondering how it will be. 

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

I have a feeling that they will demolish that old bus-bay and replace to the one similar style to Kipling. I am wondering how it will be. 

The current redesign plan for Warden station looks very similar to Kipling's Miway/GO terminal.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

I think there are guides available on the website divisioninfo.net that detail when and which trains enter into tail tracks. Look under the subway run guides section.

3 hours ago, raptorjays said:

With MiWay poised to take over the 50 BURNHAMTHORPE (and the 49 BLOOR WEST) that's one less route needing a bay in the new terminal.  All that would be left will be the 37 ISLINGTON, 110 ISLINGTON SOUTH and 937 ISLINGTON ROCKET.  It will have a much smaller footprint than the current terminal and will hopefully be conducive to having something built on top to recoup the cost of both demolition of the existing terminal and construction of the new one.

I'll just leave this here:

Islington Station Redevelopment, Toronto, designed by AECOM for Toronto Transit Commission

Work has already started on moving buses to the south end of the terminal. This would allow for the existing bus bays, and the bus concourse to be demolished. Nothing will be built atop of the new bus terminal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Well.......yes and no.

The current issue is that the structural slab that the bus bays are built upon is failing.

By tearing down Bay 6, they will be able to open up the south end of the property, and build a temporary loop/terminal that doesn't require the buses to operate on the slab. That is the immediate priority

In the long run, the plan is to build a permanent - and smaller - bus terminal where the current kiss-and-ride is. And while the station is supposed to be made accessible by 2025, it seems that we're still a long way away from that happening.

Dan

3 hours ago, Dil said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a forum on here for TTC route/system maps, and their design?

I don't want to unnecessarily create a new forum.

Thanks in advance 

I don’t believe there’s one for TTC route/system maps, but there’s an extensive collection of previous maps over the years on the Transit Toronto webpage

https://transittoronto.ca/index.shtml

Inability of the TTC to provide service as per the schedules is nothing new.  However,  during the pandemic while both passenger and traffic volumes are much lower I would have expected them to be a little better at it.

I passed the bus loop at Beyview and Steeles around 1:40pm today and there were two 11 buses in there with a third turning from Bayview to Steeles to get into the loop.  The service at that time should be every 13 minutes.   So likely there hasn’t been a southbound 11 bus in about a half hour. 

Over the last year and a half I have driven past that loop more than usual - at different times of the day and on weekdays/weekends.  I have seen multiple 11 buses in the loop more than once.

Anyone else has seen such examples of careless attitude towards service during the pandemic in other routes?

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I passed the bus loop at Beyview and Steeles around 1:40pm today and there were two 11 buses in there with a third turning from Bayview to Steeles to get into the loop.  The service at that time should be every 13 minutes.   So likely there hasn’t been a southbound 11 bus in about a half hour.

Check the service summary.

Terminal time midday is a generous 23 minutes. Three buses can have a confab and still be pretty close to on time. It's also a question of how padded the schedules are. It's possible that southbound service does indeed depart every 13 minutes, but northboud service is nowhere like the schedule if the buses are racing northbound.

Steve Munro has written many posts on the TTC's "statistics" as well as the relentless schedule padding under Rick Leary.

Why do some of these routes have no (or very little) terminal time at all? You can see the logic for some routes, like the 8, probably never getting backed up enough for them to require recovery time, but others are really odd, like the 32C getting 2 minutes on Saturday afternoons. With Eglinton being a perpetual zoo, it should be very easy for buses to fall behind schedule, and unless something has changed of late I believe they don't do short turns either, so is that bus just... not ever catching up?

Also, how are driver breaks handled on these routes? Is there someone to relieve them at the end of every other trip?

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Check the service summary.

Terminal time midday is a generous 23 minutes. Three buses can have a confab and still be pretty close to on time. It's also a question of how padded the schedules are. It's possible that southbound service does indeed depart every 13 minutes, but northboud service is nowhere like the schedule if the buses are racing northbound.

Steve Munro has written many posts on the TTC's "statistics" as well as the relentless schedule padding under Rick Leary.

I would have thought taking the extra time at Davisville would be more useful since there are places to eat / use the facilities etc there.  Although, during the pandemic you might as well rest at Steeles where you are less likely to run into anyone.  

Also, I would have thought that drivers are much more likely to be supervised  as they leave out of Davisville.  Could it be the case of buses leaving on time from Davisville then racing up the street and then having long breaks at Steeles and leaving on time southbound?

Either way, this just means that they could be providing more frequent service with the same number of vehicles if they fix the schedules/allocated trip times.  This should be really easy to accomplish given the data they must gather from GPS which is on all vehicles.  It’s time for the TTC to move into 21st century and actually use all of the data that technology installed on their vehicles allows them to gather and analyze.

9 hours ago, Dil said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a forum on here for TTC route/system maps, and their design?

I don't want to unnecessarily create a new forum.

Thanks in advance 

There is the TTC Ride Guide thread which I suppose you could use since it hasn't seen much action lately.  There are even older threads if you start going back through all of the pages!