Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

5 minutes ago, Tunnelrat said:

What's the best app for Android to see buses on a map in real time? The ones I have downloaded only show bus stops with arrival times not the actual buses. 

It's not fancy, but on Android, if I really want to see where they heck things are, I use the https://totransit.ca/ website - as it only maps what's reporting on a certain route, with no concern about what they are doing.

Hint ... if 506s are missing, it's not impossible to find them signed in as 306s in broad daylight. Normally I just leave all the 500 streetcar routes and 304, 306, 301,310 on at all times ... occasionally I see some odd situation when a 501 is up at Main Station, giving me a quick trip to Queen and Parliament!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have been on that PCC on September 23rd.  That specifically was the breaking point for me for putting up with former garbage. A friend of mine who works for another transit agency and

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of sub

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

It's not fancy, but on Android, if I really want to see where they heck things are, I use the https://totransit.ca/ website - as it only maps what's reporting on a certain route, with no concern about what they are doing.

Hint ... if 506s are missing, it's n impossible to find them signed in as 306s in broad daylight. Normally I just leave all the 500 streetcar routes and 304, 306, 301,310 on at all times ... occasionally I see some odd situation when a 501 is up at Main Station, giving me a quick trip to Queen and Parliament!

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. 

• Like 1

I wanted to ask if replacing the batteries on the hybrids with Lythium accomplish resolving the problems that the TTC was experiencing with them? 

Were the issues with the electronics fixed during the rebuild process?

I guess that with newer Hybrids being so reliable and efficient it doesn't make sense to keep the NG's running. 

15 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Does anyone know where I can find information about what routes have what runs at certain times.

Info is available here. May be difficult to parse, though, as this is raw data meant to feed into next vehicle prediction programs.

https://ckan0.cf.opendata.inter.prod-toronto.ca/fa_IR/dataset/ttc-routes-and-schedules/resource/c1264e07-3c27-490f-9362-42c1c8f03708

• Like 1

This is wracking my brain right now! There is a handful of pics on the inter web of the TTC New Flyer ‘TUF’ demonstrator (early version of the D40LF), but I can’t seem to find them. Does anyone know where I can find these hard to find gems?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of documents that are hard to find, I seem to recall that there was a report/article/anecdote/something posted that said that the Nova hybrids were failing to meet reliability expectations. Does anyone know if this was actually a thing that was posted on here and where I might find it, if true? The usual search hasn't turned up anything but I might not be searching in the right threads or with the right keywords 

EDIT: I might've dreamt the whole thing. I've been browsing through the CEO's reports from December 2019 and onward and there seems to be nothing in there particularly damning about the Novas. The December 2019 report indicates they are performing above reliability targets and in January this year the MDBF for the hybrid fleet was 30k km while for diesel buses it was 20k. The reports from the past year repeatedly state "Nova LFS Hybrid buses equipped with the BAE Hybrid drive system are performing well above the expected reliability with respect to the hybrid powertrain system."

That's good to see, I find these to be handsome machines and I am glad to see them doing well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ultimate said:

Spotted a new P/R today on a Nova on the 116. All I was able to read was "Exemptions Apply", anyone know what the full exposure is?

"Please keep your nose, mouth and chin covered" 

"at all times while riding the TTC"

"exemptions apply"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Flyer has unveiled their new Xcelsior CHARGE NG vehicle which is lighter, more efficient and has more range (13%). It is also equipped with the new Siemens ELFA 3 traction system which is 69% lighter than the Siemens ELFA 2. Plus, the battery capacity can be anywhere between 160-525 kWh depending on the configuration. It has up to 90% battery recovery, has fewer parts, recyclable components, and is easier to maintain.

https://insideevs.com/news/495307/new-flyer-xcelsior-charge-ng/amp/

• Like 1

From the department of you never know what you're going to run across, I came across this CFTO signoff from 1992 while I was looking for something else but it's got a great shot of two PCCs passing each other in the intersection at College and University.

The footage of the two PCCs going by is definitely older than 1992 though given the last of the junk PCCs got pulled in 1991 and those two A6 still have their water bumpers.  I figure early to mid 80s on that one; anything older wouldn't have had the route number signs.

• Like 1

The fate of route 6 BAY is in the balance. Would the TTC renumber route 6 BAY before the LINE 6 FINCH WEST LRT opens in 2023? They’re still planning to renumber the 5 AVENUE ROAD to 13 AVENUE ROAD when the Crosstown opens next May.

1 hour ago, Eren Jaeger said:

The fate of route 6 BAY is in the balance. Would the TTC renumber route 6 BAY before the LINE 6 FINCH WEST LRT opens in 2023? They’re still planning to renumber the 5 AVENUE ROAD to 13 AVENUE ROAD when the Crosstown opens next May.

Again, you answered your own question.

• Like 6
On 3/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, Wayside Observer said:

From the department of you never know what you're going to run across, I came across this CFTO signoff from 1992 while I was looking for something else but it's got a great shot of two PCCs passing each other in the intersection at College and University.

Wow, I was not expecting to hear "God Save the Queen" at the end of that sign off! 😮

15 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

13 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Again, you answered your own question.

Which brings up the question that I think was trying to be asked here: what will the 6 BAY be renumbered to once the Finch West LRT opens?  I don't think I've come across any material that would have given it a provisional number and/or name until it's made official.  The only document in the foreseeable future would be more detailed plans of the Ontario Line (now will it become the new Line 3 or will it be Line 7, which would impact the 7 BATHURST?) which will impact the Bay St. corridor eventually.

5 hours ago, Gil said:

Which brings up the question that I think was trying to be asked here: what will the 6 BAY be renumbered to once the Finch West LRT opens?  I don't think I've come across any material that would have given it a provisional number and/or name until it's made official.  The only document in the foreseeable future would be more detailed plans of the Ontario Line (now will it become the new Line 3 or will it be Line 7, which would impact the 7 BATHURST?) which will impact the Bay St. corridor eventually.

I'd put the 6 into either 18 or 19

6 hours ago, Gil said:

I read it a few weeks ago on Steve Munro's site. TTC already have the Bay and Avenue route numbers made up. I forgot which article and forgot the numbers.

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

I read it a few weeks ago on Steve Munro's site. TTC already have the Bay and Avenue route numbers made up. I forgot which article and forgot the numbers.

Last page of this report indicates that these route numbers will be:

5 Avenue renamed to 13 Avenue Road

7 Bathurst renamed to 19 Bathurst

I am thinking 6 Bay will be renamed 18 Bay most likely. Since it is only the only remaining number not taken in the 10 series other than 13. Though, I think some people are a bit superstitious regarding anything numbered 13 depending on who you are. To me, it is simply a number.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/February_25/Reports/Changes_to_TTC_Bus_Routes_in_Eglinton_Corridor_for_Line_5_Ra.pdf

2 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

I'd put the 6 into either 18 or 19

19 is already taken by Bathurst. Already planned out years ago when planning for Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown route reconfiguration which some routes will be changed to better accommodate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Though, I think some people are a bit superstitious regarding anything numbered 13 depending on who you are.

Considering that the TTC has had multiple buses with the number 666 in them, I doubt this is something they would care about. And rightfully so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Gil said:

The only document in the foreseeable future would be more detailed plans of the Ontario Line (now will it become the new Line 3 or will it be Line 7, which would impact the 7 BATHURST?) which will impact the Bay St. corridor eventually.

According to the mock-up map in this document (page 13), the Ontario Line will become Line 3.
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2021/February_10/Reports/8_Transit_Network_Expansion.pdf

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Considering that the TTC has had multiple buses with the number 666 in them, I doubt this is something they would care about. And rightfully so.

Not saying this is a reason for them to not number buses with 666, but wasn't it 7666 that struck someone back in 2013?  Although I can't find an article for it, I do recall listening to 680NEWS when they reported she sadly succumbed to her injuries (which is why 7666 was later renumbered to 7883).
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2013/01/24/witnesses-sought-after-woman-hit-by-ttc-bus-in-scarborough/