Jump to content
Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Recommended Posts

What’s everyone’s least favourite bus route in Toronto? Mine’s the 94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, John Oke said:

What’s everyone’s least favourite bus route in Toronto? Mine’s the 94

Sure i'll play:

-80 Queensway is a joke with its 30 minute headways

-52 Lawrence West has one of the most irreliable service i've seen out of any route in the city

-501 Queen as the TTC still cant operate the route properly along the central portion

*These are all pre-pandemic notes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lip said:

-52 Lawrence West has one of the most irreliable service i've seen out of any route in the city

Irreliable, eh?   That is a new word. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mike said:

Irreliable, eh?   That is a new word. :)

Guess I can be pretty innovative every now and again, I'll be sure to submit to Webster's Dictionary for consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on routes shared by two divisions: Since Mount Dennis opened, apart from the 35/95 and Blue Night/Streetcar shuttles, why did the TTC stopped from having two divisions from operating one route (e.g., 54) or branches of a route (e.g. 7/7G at Wilson, 7A/B at Davenport). 

How does the TTC run daytime bus routes that are shared between two divisions? For example, before 2008: 32 EGLINTON WEST/52 LAWRENCE WEST (Queensway/Wilson), 37 ISLINGTON/45 KIPLING (Arrow/Queensway), 54 LAWRENCE EAST (Comstock/Malvern), 60 STEELES WEST (Arrow/Wilson), 77 SWANSEA/79 SCARLETT ROAD (Arrow/Queensway) 110 ISLINGTON SOUTH (Arrow/Queensway) and 87 COSBURN/113 DANFORTH (Birchmount/Comstock).

Even if McNicoll opens, will the post-2008 arrangement remain unchanged to have one route operate only in one division? Perhaps I do not see shared daytime routes are being reintroduced anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express Network said:

Question on routes shared by two divisions: Since Mount Dennis opened, apart from the 35/95 and Blue Night/Streetcar shuttles, why did the TTC stopped from having two divisions from operating one route (e.g., 54) or branches of a route (e.g. 7/7G at Wilson, 7A/B at Davenport). 

How does the TTC run daytime bus routes that are shared between two divisions? For example, before 2008: 32 EGLINTON WEST/52 LAWRENCE WEST (Queensway/Wilson), 37 ISLINGTON/45 KIPLING (Arrow/Queensway), 54 LAWRENCE EAST (Comstock/Malvern), 60 STEELES WEST (Arrow/Wilson), 77 SWANSEA/79 SCARLETT ROAD (Arrow/Queensway) 110 ISLINGTON SOUTH (Arrow/Queensway) and 87 COSBURN/113 DANFORTH (Birchmount/Comstock).

Even if McNicoll opens, will the post-2008 arrangement remain unchanged to have one route operate only in one division? Perhaps I do not see shared daytime routes are being reintroduced anytime soon.

From what I have heard (from operators), it has to do with the fact that the TTC now prefers to use street changes (instead of short-turns) to get vehicles back on time when they are running late. Operating routes out of a single division gives supervisors maximum flexibility, as it ensures that all operators on the route are qualified to operate all bus models on the route.

 

For example, in the case of the 95 York Mills, Malvern operators may not be trained on the VII diesels, and Wilson operators may not be trained on LFS hybrids. This would impose an operational constraint, as it makes certain street changes impossible compared to keeping the route at one division.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Short turns still happen but not very often. 

It's mostly as a result of accident-related delays, etc., these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TTC103 said:

From what I have heard (from operators), it has to do with the fact that the TTC now prefers to use street changes (instead of short-turns) to get vehicles back on time when they are running late. Operating routes out of a single division gives supervisors maximum flexibility, as it ensures that all operators on the route are qualified to operate all bus models on the route.

 

For example, in the case of the 95 York Mills, Malvern operators may not be trained on the VII diesels, and Wilson operators may not be trained on LFS hybrids. This would impose an operational constraint, as it makes certain street changes impossible compared to keeping the route at one division.

you forgot each division has stand by buses to do the Street changeover if needed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think that the TTC will meet the September 2022 deadline for ATC completion on Line 1? I kind of doubt it but who knows. Currently ATC is between Vaughan and Queen with expected extension up to Rosedale in November of this year and then from Rosedale to Eglinton in November 2021 and then completion in September 2021 from Eglinton to Finch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TTC GM NEW LOOK ARTIC?

 

Question?

I know the TTC had GM New Look Artics back in the 1980's just like Ottawa, Hamilton & Mississauga I know when they first got them they had silver stainless steel lower panels.(I believe)

 

But?

Later did some get all white lower panels(I'm guessing after rebuild?) I saw a pic but I can't tell if the lower half is white or stainless steel silver panels? the angle of the pic is hard to tell?

 

The reason I ask is I got 3 Gm New Look artics 1:43 scale models from Vector Metal Works Models 2 OC Transpo(Red Stripe 8201 & 8222  paint scheme )1 Mississauga paint scheme. I want to do the last one in TTC colours either in silver lower half or if they have white in lower half? Not sure yet which to do it in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

TTC GM NEW LOOK ARTIC?

 

Question?

I know the TTC had GM New Look Artics back in the 1980's just like Ottawa, Hamilton & Mississauga I know when they first got them they had silver stainless steel lower panels.(I believe)

 

But?

Later did some get all white lower panels(I'm guessing after rebuild?) I saw a pic but I can't tell if the lower half is white or stainless steel silver panels? the angle of the pic is hard to tell?

 

The reason I ask is I got 3 Gm New Look artics 1:43 scale models from Vector Metal Works Models 2 OC Transpo(Red Stripe 8201 & 8222  paint scheme )1 Mississauga paint scheme. I want to do the last one in TTC colours either in silver lower half or if they have white in lower half? Not sure yet which to do it in? 

They were purged from the fleet by the mid 1980s and never received any paint mods from original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Thanks. At least now I have only one choice Silver Stainless steel lower half?

Thanks Bus_Medic

That makes my choice easier.

The panels weren't stainless steel. They were stamped aluminum. That's why they were usually unpainted - and why they needed to be shaped with the fluting.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did any of the buses built from 1981 received the yellow “PLEASE YIELD” stickers? If so, I believe these buses from #8520-#8561 and #8380-#8486 were the first to get one or it just the next order.

When did the TTC start putting up the yield stickers on their buses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, bus_7246 said:

@MCIBUS try using the pics on this page: 

https://public.fotki.com/esbdave/canadian-transit/ontario-transit-agencies/ttc/page33.html

They aren’t the best lit pictures, but there are other fleets of newlooks to compare with

Thanks for posting that link.  I enjoyed a lot of the other pictures on there as well as the GM artics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...