Jump to content
Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, 9924 said:

People have been forced into online shopping, they want a choice even if it just means going out to browse.  Retail will pick up.

Retail has been having hard time with stores for a while. Its worse in the USA then here but even here there has been store closings and even total brand closings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if they’re routing the 506 away from High Park while it’s closed? ie: Short turning at Landsdowne or going to Dundas West instead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John Oke said:

Does anyone know if they’re routing the 506 away from High Park while it’s closed? ie: Short turning at Landsdowne or going to Dundas West instead 

Doesn't seem necessary. They're probably doing what they always did at night, which is end and start their trips at Howard Park and Parkside, and go into High Park Loop without customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Retail has been having hard time with stores for a while. Its worse in the USA then here but even here there has been store closings and even total brand closings

I realize that, this could be the boost they need, although temporary.  People are tired of online shopping, need a change of scenery and go out and look and hold things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 9924 said:

I realize that, this could be the boost they need, although temporary.  People are tired of online shopping, need a change of scenery and go out and look and hold things.

Agree to disagree year after year the numbers keep increasing for online shopping with the numbers for most malls going down. The A and B class malls should be fine , the lower class community malls are changing from retail to mixed development that includes medical, education and residential. Those can help with transit riders. Agincourt Mall, Galleria, Shoppers World Brampton come to mind that will be going through these changes  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard anything what the TTC might do to reinstate front door boarding on buses, with operator safety in mind of course, so that payment other than Presto can be used again, or any sort of fare enforcement on streetcars - again if they can come up with a way that's safe.

The reason I ask is because since that policy was introduced and fare enforcement effectively paused, not only has the TTC bled money like a stuck pig not only from ridership loss due to COVID-19, but also people taking advantage and not paying, and the bigger problem of homeless & drug addicts using the TTC vehicles & premises as their personal injection sites as well as other mischief...

Over the radio I've heard of people defecating & urinating in stations, injecting drugs on trains and bathrooms at an alarming rate, undressing themselves, throwing buggies & bicycles on track level, and tons of aggressive and belligerent people threatening the TTC staff as well as the public.

When the province decides to open up more places of work in the coming weeks/months, ridership will increase and this will only become a bigger issue IMO.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine that more visible law enforcement presence would help. People act out more when they think they will face no consequences. Of course it won't eliminate all the riff-raff, but it may cause people to think twice before doing their unsavoury activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Has anyone heard anything what the TTC might do to reinstate front door boarding on buses, with operator safety in mind of course, so that payment other than Presto can be used again, or any sort of fare enforcement on streetcars - again if they can come up with a way that's safe.

The reason I ask is because since that policy was introduced and fare enforcement effectively paused, not only has the TTC bled money like a stuck pig not only from ridership loss due to COVID-19, but also people taking advantage and not paying, and the bigger problem of homeless & drug addicts using the TTC vehicles & premises as their personal injection sites as well as other mischief...

Over the radio I've heard of people defecating & urinating in stations, injecting drugs on trains and bathrooms at an alarming rate, undressing themselves, throwing buggies & bicycles on track level, and tons of aggressive and belligerent people threatening the TTC staff as well as the public.

When the province decides to open up more places of work in the coming weeks/months, ridership will increase and this will only become a bigger issue IMO.

 

 

When 80% or more of your riders have vanished, fare evasion is the least of your worries.

I'd like a more reliable citation than "I've heard over the radio" for the other problems you list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

 

I'd like a more reliable citation than "I've heard over the radio" for the other problems you list.

Well it's not like there's other ways to get information now, especially that there are no board meetings.

I'm just sharing what i've heard monitoring the TETRA system, surface supervisors, subway stations managers, transit enforcement channels... Believe what you will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Has anyone heard anything what the TTC might do to reinstate front door boarding on buses, with operator safety in mind of course, so that payment other than Presto can be used again, or any sort of fare enforcement on streetcars - again if they can come up with a way that's safe.

The reason I ask is because since that policy was introduced and fare enforcement effectively paused, not only has the TTC bled money like a stuck pig not only from ridership loss due to COVID-19, but also people taking advantage and not paying, and the bigger problem of homeless & drug addicts using the TTC vehicles & premises as their personal injection sites as well as other mischief...

Over the radio I've heard of people defecating & urinating in stations, injecting drugs on trains and bathrooms at an alarming rate, undressing themselves, throwing buggies & bicycles on track level, and tons of aggressive and belligerent people threatening the TTC staff as well as the public.

When the province decides to open up more places of work in the coming weeks/months, ridership will increase and this will only become a bigger issue IMO.

I wonder if it'll actually become less of an issue as things reopen.  Right now, for the most part, the subway's pretty empty by all accounts which probably means the people pulling this crap are probably doing it because they think they can get away with it "because no one's around", or at least very few people are around.  Start returning to more populated levels of occupation and the disincentive to pull this sort of thing in public goes down.  Remember this stuff wasn't nearly as rampant pre-COVID-19 when the TTC was packed as usual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I wonder if it'll actually become less of an issue as things reopen.  Right now, for the most part, the subway's pretty empty by all accounts which probably means the people pulling this crap are probably doing it because they think they can get away with it "because no one's around", or at least very few people are around.  Start returning to more populated levels of occupation and the disincentive to pull this sort of thing in public goes down.  Remember this stuff wasn't nearly as rampant pre-COVID-19 when the TTC was packed as usual.

Yeah, but I think these people are getting in far easier now, because of the rear door boarding policy, and no enforcement on streetcars, and heck, probably just walking into stations as is if they don't see any TTC enforcement officers.

I'm just curious what might happen once more people are back to using the system, that includes myself once my work resumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MK78 said:

Well it's not like there's other ways to get information now, especially that there are no board meetings.

I'm just sharing what i've heard monitoring the TETRA system, surface supervisors, subway stations managers, transit enforcement channels... Believe what you will.

 

Your sources are at least better than people ranting on talk radio. But I'd like to see some actual statistics. There was all kinds of bad behaviour on the system in the Before Time.

I see two claims here that might be problematic:

  1. Problems with bad behaviour, from vandalism and drug use to what might be mental health episodes, has increased since the lockdown
  2. The homeless and drug-dependent are the usual suspects

It's possible that the homeless and the drug-dependent stayed away from the TTC in the Before Times, and now have decided to all hang out there. But there were problems in the past anyway, and I don't see why an emptier system would cause an increase in bad behaviour.

There's already a large industry which tells everyone that taking public transit simply exposes you to crazy people and crime and disease; you should be in your own car like a decent human being. It doesn't need being added to unnecessarily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know even if they make any such statistics public, it would probably be a PR nightmare with the kind of people that get upset about everything.

But I've been listening to the TTC on the scanner for over 8 years now, and I've heard it all before, but it has definitely increased since the outbreak. Today some guy tried to attack the driver on a Jane bus, trying to rip off the shield. They didnt say anything if anything happened to the operator or not, but I think the TTC will need to explore full driver shields before any sort of front door loading is allowed again, not just because of the virus, but the number of assaults will probably increase as time goes on with more people losing their marbles due to various effects of the pandemic on society.

I truly feel bad for the TTC staff having to deal with it all now.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 3:41 PM, Ed T. said:

 

Your sources are at least better than people ranting on talk radio. But I'd like to see some actual statistics. There was all kinds of bad behaviour on the system in the Before Time.

I see two claims here that might be problematic:

  1. Problems with bad behaviour, from vandalism and drug use to what might be mental health episodes, has increased since the lockdown
  2. The homeless and drug-dependent are the usual suspects

It's possible that the homeless and the drug-dependent stayed away from the TTC in the Before Times, and now have decided to all hang out there. But there were problems in the past anyway, and I don't see why an emptier system would cause an increase in bad behaviour.

There's already a large industry which tells everyone that taking public transit simply exposes you to crazy people and crime and disease; you should be in your own car like a decent human being. It doesn't need being added to unnecessarily.

The reason they homeless are seen more now on the TTC during Covid is they used to hang out in other public places also fast food joints and malls that are now closed so no where for them to go but the TTC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

The reason they homeless are seen more now on the TTC during Covid is they used to hang out in other public places also fast food joints and malls that are now closed so no where for them to go but the TTC

Are you seeing more homeless on TTC? I've not seen any recently - but my sample size is smaller than usual.

To my surprise though, I've been walking downtown occasionally, and haven't seen any. There seemed more around in mid- and late- March, just as this was getting going. I was giving out $5 bills all over the place. And then none recently, where there normally is some. I did see one up on Danforth the other day ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nfitz said:

Are you seeing more homeless on TTC? I've not seen any recently - but my sample size is smaller than usual.

To my surprise though, I've been walking downtown occasionally, and haven't seen any. There seemed more around in mid- and late- March, just as this was getting going. I was giving out $5 bills all over the place. And then none recently, where there normally is some. I did see one up on Danforth the other day ...

I have been seeing more then there used to be cause they dont have the places to go but stay in the system. Also TTC's hands are kinda of tied as the police cant really do anything to them unless they are violent . They are mostly staying in the subway system and in the stations

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

They are mostly staying in the subway system and in the stations

There's always some in the stations - but I haven't been in any of the stations since March - so I haven't observed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a stream you can listen to, easy enough to find, not sure if its appropriate to post a link here. Earlier I was listening about a woman who was going up and down trains on L1 tearing down the COVID-19 social distancing signage...

People are all kinds of crazy now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MK78 said:

There's a stream you can listen to, easy enough to find, not sure if its appropriate to post a link here. Earlier I was listening about a woman who was going up and down trains on L1 tearing down the COVID-19 social distancing signage...

People are all kinds of crazy now.

https://twitter.com/that_crazy_meg/status/1259683599068119043

https://twitter.com/that_crazy_meg/status/1259685329138855949

I've seen her around before, never noticed her causing any trouble until this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, nfitz said:

There's always some in the stations - but I haven't been in any of the stations since March - so I haven't observed.

Yes there has but there is more then normal since I use the system still everyday for work. Also more just laying out on the trains then normal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turtle said:

They say she's a regular doing this. And they had a helluva time getting to her, without holding service. she was jumping on and off back and forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MK78 said:

They say she's a regular doing this. And they had a helluva time getting to her, without holding service. she was jumping on and off back and forth.

If they really want to get her, they would but they need some emergency acts to throw her in jail for breaking criminal law or it's pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 1:10 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

I sometimes find the criminals have more rights than other people.  

Just sometimes? 😆

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...