Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The length of the exhaust stack tells me that thing has a DPF. I see no rub rails at the bottom, either.

Correct, and 8xxx to be exact. I have another photo, that shows a bit of an 8 on the back of the bus. 

Webp.net-compress-image.thumb.jpg.7803250138b5a6f9de3276b955206216.jpg

2 hours ago, ViaRail6440 said:

I don't know much about the TTC, so i was just wondering. What GO Transit routes use the 401 and the 407?

Almost all of them actually, except for the ones that go primarily northbound i.e. 38, 61, 71, 81, 88 and the Niagara routes 12 and 15. And the 16 I guess, but a lot of operators will make their own routes within the stops to avoid traffic. 

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

A couple of routes do operate on highway 427, which is almost as exciting to drive as the 401.

The 401 has never been exciting.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 10:27 PM, A85 Gate Delta said:

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Toronto in the future (rest assured, once normal life resumes and it's safe to travel about). What sights/transit riding/spotting would anyone recommend for a brief (2-3 day) visit?

Looking possibly for a trip to Niagara Falls, and I’d like to ride the Scarborough RT and the Bloor-Danforth lines, alongside maybe some brief bus spotting if that helps.

Thanks!

There's this: 

5 hours ago, ViaRail6440 said:

Hi all:

Are any of you guys able to tell me all the routes of the TTC that operate on the highway 401?

I've wondered about an eastbound service from Yorkdale to the Yonge Line.  I don't know if that would eat into GO's traffic (how much traffic runs between Finch/Sheppard/York Mills and Yorkdale?) if it ran on the 401.  There is the express service on Sheppard, Wilson and Lawrence but (since the schedules have been modified I can't confirm) they don't run at all times of the day.

The only other time the TTC ran service on the 401 in recent memory was during the PanAm Games with the 194 Aquatics Centre Rocket between Don Mills and U of T Scarborough.

image.thumb.png.f9989b38bc50b957e97ff8b576e270ea.png

12 hours ago, Gil said:

I've wondered about an eastbound service from Yorkdale to the Yonge Line.  I don't know if that would eat into GO's traffic (how much traffic runs between Finch/Sheppard/York Mills and Yorkdale?) if it ran on the 401.  There is the express service on Sheppard, Wilson and Lawrence but (since the schedules have been modified I can't confirm) they don't run at all times of the day.

I suspect that it has less to do with "eating into GO's ridership" and more to do with - why? Is there enough ridership travelling from the Spadina Line to Yonge? The fact that neither of the express routes on either Sheppard or Wilson run all the time, coupled with their limited headways, should be a good enough indicator of what the ridership levels are. If they were high enough I don't see why the TTC couldn't run a branch along the 401.

12 hours ago, Gil said:

The only other time the TTC ran service on the 401 in recent memory was during the PanAm Games with the 194 Aquatics Centre Rocket between Don Mills and U of T Scarborough.

image.thumb.png.f9989b38bc50b957e97ff8b576e270ea.png

There have been several more routes than just that particular version of the 194. There was an earlier version of the 194 that travelled to the Zoo. There was an early version what is now the 985A that used the 401 for some very limited runs. And if you go back far enough, there was a downtown-to-Scarborough Town Centre express that used the DVP to the 401 to get to the mall.

Dan

16 hours ago, Orion VI said:

Correct, and 8xxx to be exact. I have another photo, that shows a bit of an 8 on the back of the bus. 

Webp.net-compress-image.thumb.jpg.7803250138b5a6f9de3276b955206216.jpg

It appears the license plate starts with 163 but none of the 8000 series have 163 at the beginning. 

DSC_0897.thumb.JPG.a4105dba72c464647901da3e46822892.JPG

29 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

It appears the license plate starts with 163 but none of the 8000 series have 163 at the beginning. 

The plate (as mentioned before), is 163 0BK, again, the CPTDB's wiki doesn't show a match for that plate, it could be new. 8095 has come up as a guess, but I don't know. 7575 and it's parts bus were beside 2444 (or another fishbowl, just a guess, as 2345 was visible in another location). There was also another 7 OG, but i couldn't catch any numbers or licence plates. In the picture, the furthest 7 to the left is 7575's parts bus, and the 7 in the middle is 7575. (btw, what is happening with that?), plus the fishbowl in the middle. The other unknown OG was towards the bottom left, but not visible here. You could only see the destination sign as a result.

9 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

DSC_0897.thumb.JPG.a4105dba72c464647901da3e46822892.JPG

The plate (as mentioned before), is 163 0BK, again, the CPTDB's wiki doesn't show a match for that plate, it could be new. 8095 has come up as a guess, but I don't know. 7575 and it's parts bus were beside 2444 (or another fishbowl, just a guess, as 2345 was visible in another location). There was also another 7 OG, but i couldn't catch any numbers or licence plates. In the picture, the furthest 7 to the left is 7575's parts bus, and the 7 in the middle is 7575. (btw, what is happening with that?), plus the fishbowl in the middle. The other unknown OG was towards the bottom left, but not visible here. You could only see the destination sign as a result.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

This was the only part of the bus that's visible: DSC_0901.thumb.JPG.76f64269ab7d12f839dafa2c16b0fdd8.JPG

19 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

This was the only part of the bus that's visible: DSC_0901.thumb.JPG.76f64269ab7d12f839dafa2c16b0fdd8.JPG

That one should be 7575.

7936 is circled:

646A4CC9-6FB4-43DA-83FC-F4A70E92A9E6.thumb.jpeg.eaecfd82c0592ba8362da0bfdb344b36.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Bus_Medic said:

That one should be 7575.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Any word on the plan for that (understanding that there are no plans during this epidemic for anything "frivolous")?

1 minute ago, Orion VI said:

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Any word on the plan for that (understanding that there are no plans during this epidemic for anything "frivolous")?

Parting out and disposal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I saw one of the Mall buses, either 111 or 112, running east along Dundas to Kipling station with DROP OFF ONLY displayed. It seemed fairly full for these days, maybe 10 people aboard. Was that sign to keep the bus from picking up additional passengers and create an unsafe environment?

(Of course this was a Queensway bus. Interesting that this was the afternoon before the refusal to work.)

20 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Yesterday I saw one of the Mall buses, either 111 or 112, running east along Dundas to Kipling station with DROP OFF ONLY displayed. It seemed fairly full for these days, maybe 10 people aboard. Was that sign to keep the bus from picking up additional passengers and create an unsafe environment?

(Of course this was a Queensway bus. Interesting that this was the afternoon before the refusal to work.)

i'm assuming so. A couple of days ago, I overheard some wilson ops at Lawrence West talk about how when they arrived at work, they didn't have any gloves, or masks for them. He was pretty miffed about it, and called a couple people relatively loudly. As much as we feel for the front line workers, the secondary workers, (Transit personnel, delivery people, food staff) deserve more thanks than we give them. They are exposed to many members of the public everyday, and most don't complain. If any real TTC employees see this, this is my heartfelt thanks to you.

• Like 1

Heard from a friend that 1500, 1662, and 7955 through 7957 have been converted to EMS transport buses. Any truth to that? Also any photos of them?

5 hours ago, ttc_fan said:

Heard from a friend that 1500, 1662, and 7955 through 7957 have been converted to EMS transport buses. Any truth to that? Also any photos of them?

That's information that is on the wiki. Yes, It's true for the 79xx buses, but for the NGs, idk.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ttc_fan said:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meltingtomato said:

That being said, I haven’t physically seen them seatless.

I’m hearing now that a total of 10 units are tapped for hospital service.

Perhaps they rethought recruiting hybrids, and went with 7900s instead for reliability. Seeing as how service demand isn’t going to warrant returning the full fleet to service anytime soon- let alone have the city in financial shape to do so.

It would  certainly be inconvenient if a hybrid was to fail with a load of gurneys onboard.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

GM NEW LOOK Model bus

(Red/Black/White-actual double rear doors)

I'm not sure which colour scheme this is, but I lnow corgi Die-Cast models made a two TTC buses in two colour scheme's a Redish/cream colour & red/black/white colour scheme in 1:50 scale. the only issue with those two where the rear doors where incorrect.

I've found a TTC Bus in the Red/Black/White paint scheme with the real rear doors in a 1:43 scale from Vector Models on E Bay-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GM-New-Look-Bus-TTC-Toronto-Custom-Made-1-43/293546061886?hash=item4458b5703e:g:QjUAAOSwFOleRwrE

its going for $215 US. I bought one. Also on the same sellers site there's a Mississauga Transit  GM Artic $445 US as well as OC Transpo GM Artic $445 US 8222. He had 8201 GM Artic which I bought at cheaper price he has it "make offer" listed.A OC Transpo GM New Look with Maple Leaf(error on fleet# though)

If anyone decides to buy one just a heads up even though it states seller from Israel, the package is shipped from the Ukraine and takes long time to get here 6+weeks but worth it. 

GM Mississauga Artic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GM-New-Look-Articulated-Coach-Bus-DIESEL-DIVISION-Hand-Made-1-43/293174244495?hash=item44428bf48f:g:1BcAAOSwdhdcM74x

OC Transpo Artic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GM-New-Look-Articulated-Coach-Bus-New-Paint-Ottawa-Canada-Hand-Made-1-43/293186133380?hash=item4443415d84:g:vAcAAOSw8EhdUdFe

OC TRANSPO GM NEW LOOK Maple Leaf(Note: not correct Fleet #, should of been 8000-8200 series)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GM-New-Look-TDH-5301-Bus-Ottawa-Canada-Custom-Made-1-43/293187056849?hash=item44434f74d1:g:5S8AAOSw~BxdSc1H

s-l1600.jpg

TTC NEW LOOK E Bay

s-l1600.jpg

OC TRANSPO GM ARTIC E BAY

s-l1600 (1).jpg

MISSISSAUGA GM ARTIC E BAY

s-l1600 (2).jpg

OC TRANSPO NEW LOOK E BAY

s-l1600.jpg

My OC Transpo Artic I bought off E BAY

• Like 1

The author is a stone cold idiot.

FEF9C838-2A42-4E07-A5F2-AF9C8F11E3DF.thumb.jpeg.cc599e1c872ed75b85a26496a065052f.jpeg

Click on the red link she cites.....

854EF55B-9443-4BB8-8497-F114BF493F5B.thumb.png.579637c3a1c869aa19b6bb922b31812a.png

....and the Wikipedia article contains this image.

Another example of the quality journalism Blog TO has become renowned for. Required reading for urban trust fund babies everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The author is a stone cold idiot.

FEF9C838-2A42-4E07-A5F2-AF9C8F11E3DF.thumb.jpeg.cc599e1c872ed75b85a26496a065052f.jpeg

Click on the red link she cites.....

854EF55B-9443-4BB8-8497-F114BF493F5B.thumb.png.579637c3a1c869aa19b6bb922b31812a.png

....and the Wikipedia article contains this image.

Another example of the quality journalism Blog TO has become renowned for. Required reading for urban trust fund babies everywhere.

I try to not loose too much brain cells to blogTO

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, Bus_Medic said:

You are being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too generous suggesting this is journalism.

There was this alarming post to reddit today from someone claiming to be a TTC employee that has inside knowledge on the future situation. I’ll let you read it

I believe the TTC service is about to get significantly worse.

I am a TTC employee and I believe we are about to see our transit system buckle under extreme financial pressure. I've seen posts about overcrowding on the TTC despite calls for social distancing. I get the feeling that it's about to get much worse.

The TTC is currently losing about $90M/month. In an effort to save money wherever possible, TTC is making some dramatic changes, both service-oriented and operationally. Salary increases have been paused for non-union staff, any business travel has been eliminated, overtime costs have been removed unless related to COVID-19, all contract/co-op positions are being removed, and any open positions are being removed.

On top of that, 1000 unionized employees are being laid-off, as well as 200 non-union staff. When all of this is done, it will save $25M of that $90M. We will still be losing $65M. More rounds of layoffs are likely to come, and service will get even more sparse.

The new service period starts May 10. On that date, all express routes are being pulled except the 900 and 927. All special service (high park, bluffers park, toronto zoo, etc.) are pulled. The 140's are pulled. A handful of the 300s are pulled. And of all the standard routes that are remaining, their service levels are dropping significantly (my colleague told me roughly 20-25% decrease for all routes).

A sad reality: There is no "bail-out" for TTC despite it being an essential service. With 27 employees testing positive for the virus, the Queensway Garage currently shutdown until May 1st due to managing a potential outbreak, and already several groups of employees walking out on the job, I think between now and September, transit within Toronto is going to continue to become worse.

This isn't intended to be a "boohoo, help me, I'll lose my job" post, because tons of companies are experiencing extreme financial hardship. Despite being an employee, I am one of the TTC's biggest critics, and there are a million things they could have done to be more resilient in the face of this. With that being said, we're about to see just how much Toronto truly relies their transit system.

Good luck, everyone!

• Sad 4