Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

35 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

They seem to have fixed this. Noticed a number of buses today with the rear sign fitting the entire P/R message on two lines similar to the "Not In Service" rear sign.

It was fixed yesterday.

So I was talking with a friend last night and the subject of some relics like the Peter Witt skeleton up by the Haliburton Scout Reserve and the mess hall at Camp Endobanah which is not far from there, which was a wartime building from the Eglinton division that was surplussed, taken apart then moved and reassembled at the camp came up along with 2890 at Seashore.  One of the reasons Seashore wanted a Toronto Peter Witt was because of the generous amount of windows which would provide a good view of the line for passengers if they were to get it regauged and running which in turn brought up the subject of the Peter Witt that's built into a cottage up near Pointe Au Baril as an enclosed porch/sunroom/living room type deal.  I wonder, from the part of the roof profile visible, if it might've been a Brill.  Does anybody know what the fleet number of this one was?

The TTC was running extra-frequent (15 minutes, I believe) night service on 301, 304, 310 due to a shortage of overnight storage space. Is this continuing now?

20 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looks like it, looking at 310's data from this morning - https://www.transsee.ca/triplist?a=ttc&route=310&date=2020-04-01

306 every 20 minutes as well!

1. I should get premium access to Transsee, but I don't have PayPal, and the last time I checked Transsee was probably mid-February.
  2. I hear the 301 service in the wee hours if I'm being a bit insomniac. Sometimes a bit of a squeal going around the loop, but much more noisy running on rough rails eastbound from the loop to Thirty Seventh St. I don't know if the bad rail is patchy, or if the noise is travelling through gaps in buildings. But I hear it through good quality closed insulated windows at a distance of at least half a kilometre.
  3. I would think that with the shutdown of bars and restaurants, as well as schools and colleges and universities, late-evening and early-morning travel on these streetcar routes (Queen, King, Carlton) would be way down. No problem keeping physical distance on these cars.
  4. But If enough operators call in sick or are self-isolating, what would the TTC do if they can't send the excess streetcars out to mitigate the storage issues?

I don't think you need a pay pal account ... just a credit card. I certainly don't recall telling it about my pay pal account ... just my credit card.

I hadn't realised that was premium data though ... I thought that just got rid of the ads!

Most of the overnight traffic I see when I rode ... except perhaps early Friday to early Sunday - are people heading to/from work. Especially by 3 or 4 AM (you don't have to tell me about insomnia ... fortunately mine is mostly cured!)

Often to and from the hospitals (at least on 506).

• Like 1

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of subway cars. I had to scan some documents this evening so I thought I'd throw these onto the end of my job. Hopefully some of you will find this information of value.

49736666291_c2acab8313_z.jpgSubway H1-4 datasheet by T3G, on Flickr

49736997232_f2a7ca924c_z.jpgSubway H5-6 datasheet by T3G, on Flickr

49736997662_3ac2316911_z.jpgSubway T1 datasheet by T3G, on Flickr

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Toronto in the future (rest assured, once normal life resumes and it's safe to travel about). What sights/transit riding/spotting would anyone recommend for a brief (2-3 day) visit?

Looking possibly for a trip to Niagara Falls, and I’d like to ride the Scarborough RT and the Bloor-Danforth lines, alongside maybe some brief bus spotting if that helps.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, A85 Gate Delta said:

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Toronto in the future (rest assured, once normal life resumes and it's safe to travel about). What sights/transit riding/spotting would anyone recommend for a brief (2-3 day) visit?

Looking possibly for a trip to Niagara Falls, and I’d like to ride the Scarborough RT and the Bloor-Danforth lines, alongside maybe some brief bus spotting if that helps.

Thanks!

High Park Loop on the 506 (even with the flexities), any of the surface sections of Line 2, the maple leaf park next to the Union Station rail corridor if you fancy VIA/Heavy rail equipment, Russell (especially if you like the CLRVs). Always sit in the first car of a train on line 2 — you can look out the front window. 

Rosedale station is a great spotting spot. Line one north of St. George has some amazing stations (Dupont, Yorkdale, Pioneer Village, Sheppard West, VMC come to mind and while the platform shots may not be the best at most of those (except Dupont and Sheppard West), you can definitely get cool perspective shots at all.

The Sheppard line is a fun little stub run. I'd do it just for novelty's sake

Make the trek out to Halton if you have a car too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A85 Gate Delta said:

Thanks!

Davisville yard, viewed from the Belt Line bridge by Yonge and Merton Streets, is something that comes to mind. With a bit of luck, you may run into some interesting work equipment, including the last Hawker-Siddeley H4 work cars in the city, parked in the yard.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, PCC Guy said:

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of subway cars. I had to scan some documents this evening so I thought I'd throw these onto the end of my job. Hopefully some of you will find this information of value.

Those are interesting.  At first glance I thought those were copies of the pamphlets that were written up by Ray Corley back in the day but those are something newer and not quite as detailed as the original ones that Corley prepared and the text writeup didn't contain as much background information on the vehicles and the context of the orders and features.  It's kind of odd on the H car sheets that they gave the gear ratios but left it at "four motors per car" with no rating information which is a strange omission, for example.  I wonder what prompted the TTC to make up new sheets vs. reissuing the older ones?  

Edit:  I completely forgot to ask the question I came here to post.  I'll stick it in this thread since it's about the TTC but also applies to Go plus the other transit agencies in the area.  With ridership down and reduced levels of service being operated, have they done any temporary layoffs to scale the workforce to match the level of service being operated until things bounce back?  I hope they've been able to keep everyone working even if it means people are being kept home on standby days or something similar to backstop anyone that needs to go on sick leave.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Those are interesting.  At first glance I thought those were copies of the pamphlets that were written up by Ray Corley back in the day but those are something newer and not quite as detailed as the original ones that Corley prepared and the text writeup didn't contain as much background information on the vehicles and the context of the orders and features.  It's kind of odd on the H car sheets that they gave the gear ratios but left it at "four motors per car" with no rating information which is a strange omission, for example.  I wonder what prompted the TTC to make up new sheets vs. reissuing the older ones?  

Edit:  I completely forgot to ask the question I came here to post.  I'll stick it in this thread since it's about the TTC but also applies to Go plus the other transit agencies in the area.  With ridership down and reduced levels of service being operated, have they done any temporary layoffs to scale the workforce to match the level of service being operated until things bounce back?  I hope they've been able to keep everyone working even if it means people are being kept home on standby days or something similar to backstop anyone that needs to go on sick leave.

nope.

Oakville, Kingston and Longueil have taken contingency measures.

A bit of boredom yesterday led to this:

00.thumb.JPG.1d2f15f73a06b1c771a217d7ea6766e6.JPG

I guess we already knew about 9003 (donating parts), but what is the bus behind it? When looking up 163 0BK in the CPTDB's list, it is blank. Anyone have an idea?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, Orion VI said:

I guess we already knew about 9003 (donating parts), but what is the bus behind it? When looking up 163 0BK in the CPTDB's list, it is blank. Anyone have an idea?

Maybe 8095?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, Orion VI said:

If you look at the wheels it has it's skirts on. So it has to be 7575.

The length of the exhaust stack tells me that thing has a DPF. I see no rub rails at the bottom, either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ViaRail6440 said:

Hi all:

Are any of you guys able to tell me all the routes of the TTC that operate on the highway 401?

None that I know of

47 minutes ago, ViaRail6440 said:

Hi all:

Are any of you guys able to tell me all the routes of the TTC that operate on the highway 401?

We don't have any routes that use the 401. We do take it at times, but not in service. I took a bus on the 401 yesterday.  

11 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

A couple of routes do operate on highway 427, which is almost as exciting to drive as the 401.

Thanks all. Any use the 407?

2 minutes ago, ViaRail6440 said:

Thanks all. Any use the 407?

Are you thinking of GO Transit? Because the only freeways that the TTC use (in service) are Highway 427 and the DVP.

2 minutes ago, meltingtomato said:

Are you thinking of GO Transit? Because the only freeways that the TTC use (in service) are Highway 427 and the DVP.

I don't know much about the TTC, so i was just wondering. What GO Transit routes use the 401 and the 407?