Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

1 hour ago, dowlingm said:

Agreed, but compare to the subways. It is simply not tolerated to have crews take a break at Coxwell and return. The crews are exchanged. The vehicles get moving.

It's not tolerated short-turning at Coxwell to take a break on the 506 either. It's very rare these days to see unscheduled short-turns at Coxwell Loop except when there's been some kind of service interruption. (after evening peak, there are some 506 runs that are scheduled to turn at Coxwell ... as they return to Russell or Leslie, and some AM bus trips terminate at Coxwell).

On 3/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, dowlingm said:

In any event, this work should have been done before the 505 was made a streetcar again - the queues to enter the station were bad enough before.

505 doesn't become a streetcar again for another couple of weeks, so that gives them a bit of time - I was up there Wednesday, and they are making progress. In reality, they should have dealt with all the loops, etc., before the Flexitys started arriving.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:03 PM, nfitz said:

It's not tolerated short-turning at Coxwell to take a break on the 506 either. It's very rare these days to see unscheduled short-turns at Coxwell Loop except when there's been some kind of service interruption. (after evening peak, there are some 506 runs that are scheduled to turn at Coxwell ... as they return to Russell or Leslie, and some AM bus trips terminate at Coxwell).

I was referring to Coxwell Subway where Line 2 crews are exchanged, not Coxwell loop. 

I wonder if the TTC is considering reducing service levels... But on the other hand, having more space on vehicles means people can sit farther apart...

On the other hand, i hope they will let us cancel the 12 month pass without penalty, or at least pause it. My work is shutting down after this week, I won't need it hardly at all. Certainly not $140 worth.

FFBBB1BD-1066-405E-BD72-77502A238460.thumb.png.65d4217a76d666663586e3c00b01edda.png

Because it’s only the operators at risk.....

Thanks, Rick.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

FFBBB1BD-1066-405E-BD72-77502A238460.thumb.png.65d4217a76d666663586e3c00b01edda.png

Because it’s only the operators at risk.....

Thanks, Rick.

Nothing quite says "I care" like hiring a photographer to follow you around, taking photos that make it look like you care...

• Like 6

So while customer service was congratulating operators on Twitter, a mechanic at Duncan has been diagnosed.

Duncan’s closed, all the guys are quarantined.

• Sad 12

17 hours ago, MK78 said:

IOn the other hand, i hope they will let us cancel the 12 month pass without penalty, or at least pause it. My work is shutting down after this week, I won't need it hardly at all. Certainly not $140 worth.

Yes, I hope they do. And we have to say within a day or so whether we want to cancel for April (and pay the accumulated penalty).

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

• Sad 15

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

So while customer service was congratulating operators on Twitter, a mechanic at Duncan has been diagnosed.

Duncan’s closed, all the guys are quarantined.

Saw this tidbit. Not a smart cat, this guy.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the worker is a mechanic “who does not work on frontline service maintenance.” He works at the Duncan Shop, where bus rebuilds and overhauls take place.

Green also said around 130-170 employees are currently in self-isolation as a result.

“The employee worked one shift on March 11 after returning from travel and was sent home sick. They have not returned to work since,” TTC CEO Rick Leary said in a letter to employees on Thursday morning.

43 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Saw this tidbit. Not a smart cat, this guy.

Indeed. He’ll have to face his co workers later.

HR policy or no, the prison yard will find out, one way or the other. In the end though, if it wasn’t him, it would’ve been someone else picking it up from a handrail or passenger tomorrow. 

Snowflake in a blizzard.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Indeed. He’ll have to face his co workers later.

HR policy or no, the prison yard will find out, one way or the other. In the end though, if it wasn’t him, it would’ve been someone else picking it up from a handrail or passenger tomorrow. 

Snowflake in a blizzard.

Speaking of that though, all this week I saw bus operators with their shields folded down... That surely isn't helping.

54 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Speaking of that though, all this week I saw bus operators with their shields folded down... That surely isn't helping.

Probably not. But taken to the logical conclusion, neither is showing up to work, period. Then everybody without a car is up shit creek.
Passenger(s) say use the barriers, but the city said (until today) that masks are prohibited because they cause panic?

Somewhere in this mess, government orders end and personal accountability  begins. And then who should I give I higher priority? The health of my family and household? Or my job? Because they’re be brutally honest, right now the city is asking me to put my job first. 
My wife and daughter are having a problem coming to terms with that. Frankly as every day goes by, I’m having a harder and harder time reconciling it within myself.

Sure as shit I’m not doing it because of some disingenuous tweet from customer service. /end rant. For now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MK78 said:

That shield is pretty much useless to keep air and water droplets away from the driver. It would be a different story if we had a sealed off compartment like used in many places outside of North American.

15 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That shield is pretty much useless to keep air and water droplets away from the driver. It would be a different story if we had a sealed off compartment like used in many places outside of North American.

I dunno, it would seem to me that it could prevent people getting in the face of the operator, leaning and touching the folded door, and if you put some clear packing tape on those holes, could possibly minimize the effect of an errant sneeze or cough.

Every small thing should help, no?

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

I dunno, it would seem to me that it could prevent people getting in the face of the operator, leaning and touching the folded door, and if you put some clear packing tape on those holes, could possibly minimize the effect of an errant sneeze or cough.

Every small thing should help, no?

It’s a smart thought, but it wouldn’t do much since the front end of the shield is open air as well. Strictly rear door boarding, with a reduced passenger count seems like the better idea coming from a person already on the frontlines 

• Like 1

It is interesting to see the TTC cancel multiple routes today, the 141, 142, 143, 144, 145. TTC Customer service is claiming at this point it is just for the day. Hope its not the sign of more reduction to come. 

Paper Transfers will not be provided at this time

In order to reduce contact between our Operators and customers, Operators will not be issuing paper transfers at this time. Our Operators and Collectors have been informed and are aware that customers who have paid by cash, TTC ticket or token will not have a paper transfer and should be permitted to board a bus or enter a station. PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket customers should continue to tap their card when they board a vehicle and enter a station.

So whats the point in paying?  Instead of them saying you need a presto card/ticket they basically are saying ride free, just tell the driver you paid already. Then they say they lose millions and blame the riders 

2 hours ago, CBlake said:

Hope its not the sign of more reduction to come. 

Oh, it most certainly is. The amount of open work every day has more than doubled in the past week.

Dan

2 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Oh, it most certainly is. The amount of open work every day has more than doubled in the past week.

Dan

What is open work, drivers starting to call in sick etc?

58 minutes ago, CBlake said:

What is open work, drivers starting to call in sick etc?

Many have children to look after.

3 hours ago, BusDude said:

Paper Transfers will not be provided at this time

In order to reduce contact between our Operators and customers, Operators will not be issuing paper transfers at this time. Our Operators and Collectors have been informed and are aware that customers who have paid by cash, TTC ticket or token will not have a paper transfer and should be permitted to board a bus or enter a station. PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket customers should continue to tap their card when they board a vehicle and enter a station.

So whats the point in paying?  Instead of them saying you need a presto card/ticket they basically are saying ride free, just tell the driver you paid already. Then they say they lose millions and blame the riders 

They are already expected to lose millions

• Like 2