Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

On 3/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Nfitz is right that you'll need data/wifi which they can't expect everyone to have and can't on the subway.

Checking the balance only shows the recent 3 transactions on the card, if you went hopping on and off, you can't see the initial time you paid with the card.

Lets be real now... if you get a fancy smartphone, you should have data, that IS the main point of a smartphone.  And all stations have wifi, so.... 

18 minutes ago, BusDude said:

Lets be real now... if you get a fancy smartphone, you should have data, that IS the main point of a smartphone.  And all stations have wifi, so.... 

I was trying to do this the other day, after I tapped into Christie, by the time the wi-fi connected, I was still trying to open the Presto app when the train arrived (about 2-3 minutes). And unlike some other cities, there's no wifi in the tunnels.

I suppose I could have chosen to miss my train to check my card - but surely the main point of the subway is to go somewhere on the train. Much later at home, I noticed I had tapped in at the 1:59 mark.

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I was trying to do this the other day, after I tapped into Christie, by the time the wi-fi connected, I was still trying to open the Presto app when the train arrived (about 2-3 minutes). And unlike some other cities, there's no wifi in the tunnels.

I suppose I could have chosen to miss my train to check my card - but surely the main point of the subway is to go somewhere on the train. Much later at home, I noticed I had tapped in at the 1:59 mark.

Or you could of put your card in Presto machines at the station and see your balance...... 10 seconds to do, you would of caught your train 🙂

1 minute ago, BusDude said:

Or you could of put your card in Presto machines at the station and see your balance...... 10 seconds to do, you would of caught your train 🙂

Assuming there isn't a line up to those machines.

For smartphone, as I mention, check balance only shows the recent 3 trips. Card history in the card page is based on what is uploaded to the server. Some tap data don't get uploaded for hours. It's not an 100% reliable mention.

3 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Assuming there isn't a line up to those machines.

For smartphone, as I mention, check balance only shows the recent 3 trips. Card history in the card page is based on what is uploaded to the server. Some tap data don't get uploaded for hours. It's not an 100% reliable mention.

there usually never a lineup at the machines...except for the last day of the month cause everyone waits for the last minute to buy there passes.  

15 minutes ago, BusDude said:

I wasn't looking for my balance. I was looking for how many minutes I had left. I suppose if I'd checked my balance previously that day, I could do the math - but that's kind of obsessive - even for me!

But still - why risk just missing a train, and spending time using the machine? That's surely putting a lot of onus on the passenger, rather than having a simple system where you just tap and go.

15 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Also, regarding if your transfer expires while you’re in the fare paid area, I usually take a paper transfer from the red boxes if I’m still in the system, I’m not sure if that’s allowed however. You can pretty much stay in the system the entire service day, if you know what to do, although one thing I find is that the “Not valid for re-entry into the subway system” rule is rather vague. Does it mean showing it to a collector makes it invalid? Or is it by taking a vehicle into a fare paid area of a subway station invalid? The latter seems to be rarely enforced however.

Technically not allowed, since the transfer is supposed to be obtained when and where you had paid your fare. But of course, the machine is just sitting there available for use.

Not valid for re-entry into subway system refers to not going through the station's fare line using the transfer ie) Showing the collector

Over the last week or so I noticed that when northbound trains arrive at Queen they initially stop well short of where they are suppose to and then it takes them several tries to get to the proper stopping position. What is causing them to do this? Is it ATC?

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Over the last week or so I noticed that when northbound trains arrive at Queen they initially stop well short of where they are suppose to and then it takes them several tries to get to the proper stopping position. What is causing them to do this? Is it ATC?

There is a weird quirk with the ATO at that particular migration point where it seems to kind of misjudge the stopping distance coming up to the end of the ATC. Some crews are mitigating this by operating the train in CABS from King to Queen, rather than relying on the ATO. It's hoped that the next software release will resolve it.

Dan

22 hours ago, Mike said:

That has been happening since the first day of ATC being extended to Queen. I've also noticed something similar at NB St Clair West in the recent couple of weeks, if the preceding train had gone into the centre track (even if a few mins ago). Otherwise it's a normal smooth stop.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've also heard quite a few ATO issues over the radio. Trains not being able to move off after servicing a station. Sounds like pretty glitchy system.

Off topic, but how many Orion 7 buses do you guy have left and when do you think the last Orion 7 will be retired by the Toronto Transit Commission? 2025 or so?

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Off topic, but how many Orion 7 buses do you guy have left and when do you think the last Orion 7 will be retired by the Toronto Transit Commission? 2025 or so?

Check the wiki for quantities. Retirement dates I don’t know

11 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've also heard quite a few ATO issues over the radio. Trains not being able to move off after servicing a station. Sounds like pretty glitchy system.

There's been the odd thing here and there - the current one is trying to resolve an issue where the system can't detect a Zero Speed command from the TR's drive and brake system - but by and large the changeover to ATO has gone over smoother than most other brownfield installs.

Dan

9 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Apparently the TTC is modifying the 504 King platform at Broadview to fit two Flexities. They're installing a second curb cut but I can't visualize how the modifications will work unless they're extending the platform onto the curve.

Why isn't the 505 being done? Platform length restriction or the route just don't run frequent enough to warrant the 2nd platform?

9 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Apparently the TTC is modifying the 504 King platform at Broadview to fit two Flexities. They're installing a second curb cut but I can't visualize how the modifications will work unless they're extending the platform onto the curve.

They are extending the platform into the curve. They've also moved the walkway back west about 20 feet.

Dan

10 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Pouring concrete (and reducing accessibility) to store cars rather than swapping operators to keep vehicles in motion...

1 hour ago, dowlingm said:

Pouring concrete (and reducing accessibility) to store cars rather than swapping operators to keep vehicles in motion...

The current platform only can fit one car. Expanding it to two doesn't change much, or nullify the need to also change the way cars are operated.

Currently, if they end up with 3 cars approaching Broadview station at the same time (and this was happening this morning), two have to leave immediately, so the third one can unload. And that's with the relatively infrequent service 504 currently has. There at least needs to be enough space to not force two cars to leave the station at the same time - no matter who is driving them.

Ditto for Spadina station ... though that will not be as trivial.

7 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Aside from major excavation work, the only possible fix I see at Spadina station is removing the glass panels at the west end of the platform.

Exactly how long is that platform? It must be close to 50 metres. I wonder if there's a protocol they could use, where they don't open the front door of the loading car, and the back door of the unloading car, if there's a car close behind.

At the same time, I don't know why, when the platform is empty, why they stop, unload, close doors, move forward, and load ... as often there is a second car waiting by the time they leave. They could save time by doing both at once.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

The current platform only can fit one car. Expanding it to two doesn't change much, or nullify the need to also change the way cars are operated.

Currently, if they end up with 3 cars approaching Broadview station at the same time (and this was happening this morning), two have to leave immediately, so the third one can unload. And that's with the relatively infrequent service 504 currently has. There at least needs to be enough space to not force two cars to leave the station at the same time - no matter who is driving them.

Ditto for Spadina station ... though that will not be as trivial.

Agreed, but compare to the subways. It is simply not tolerated to have crews take a break at Coxwell and return. The crews are exchanged. The vehicles get moving.

Now, there can be reasons to hold a car in order to not have too big a gap to the next one arriving, but that's a different situation. In any event, this work should have been done before the 505 was made a streetcar again - the queues to enter the station were bad enough before.

• Like 1