Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Not sure if this has been answered, but seeing as the 79xx/80xx VII are staying around for at least a few more years, will they be repainted in the LFLRV scheme once the NGs are done, or will they be left alone in favour of working on the 40ft Novas?

I know Artic 9003 is a write off due to accident damage. I know MiWay has had an LFS Artic suffer fire damage. I wonder if they could use the undamaged sections from both buses and make one good bus out of the two damaged sections. More importantly who would this bus go with: TTC or MiWay?

Does anyone know about a new type of bus shelter at Jane and Eglinton? apparently they have automatic doors 

20 minutes ago, Young said:

Does anyone know about a new type of bus shelter at Jane and Eglinton? apparently they have automatic doors 

Looks like they are installing one at Neilson and Ellesmere as well (the stop going east in Ellesmere).

Looks like the one they built a couple of years ago at Meadowvale Loop, just north of Sheppard.

When I saw it, I assumed there were others ... but I can't recall seeing one elsewhere. You can see it on Google Streetview

image.thumb.png.cbf3579782a933fc5c204d3a2c7c9e7d.png

• Like 1

Regarding these people using children presto cards an easy solution would be to have them make a different noise when you tap them. 

So this way instead of beep if it makes a burp noise you can see that the person is not 12 years or less. 

Also make them another color, making it easy to identify.

40 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Regarding these people using children presto cards an easy solution would be to have them make a different noise when you tap them. 

So this way instead of beep if it makes a burp noise you can see that the person is not 12 years or less. 

Also make them another color, making it easy to identify.

All cards with a discount applied to them do make a different noise than the standard tap.

Dan

22 minutes ago, smallspy said:

All cards with a discount applied to them do make a different noise than the standard tap.

Dan

Does it make a different noise than senior discounts? So then it should be easy to identify if it's fraud or not. 

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

Does it make a different noise than senior discounts? So then it should be easy to identify if it's fraud or not. 

No it doesn't. Seniors, students, children, employees, etc. all make the same noise.

45 minutes ago, Archer said:

No it doesn't. Seniors, students, children, employees, etc. all make the same noise.

But that should be enough (except for the student/Child one), since if you're an adult, you don't get any reduced fare whatsoever. 

23 hours ago, Shaun said:

Doesnt matter anyway, the operators don't confront anyone anymore about fare. people's cards buzz with no money and they just let them all on. just like when they sneak in on the back doors on regular bus routes (non rear boarding).

Presto readers should say child when a child presto card is scanned. 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, Shaun said:

23 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Presto readers should say child when a child presto card is scanned. 

It'll take Metrolinx 5 years to implement that with their highly intelligent programmers that they contracted.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

But that should be enough (except for the student/Child one), since if you're an adult, you don't get any reduced fare whatsoever. 

BUT - Employees, post sec students (who I believe also activate the concession beep and yellow light), and seniors which look good for their age can look like "adults"

6 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

BUT - Employees, post sec students (who I believe also activate the concession beep and yellow light), and seniors which look good for their age can look like "adults"

Yes, Post-secondary students paying full adult fare would use the concession beep. They could appear as fare evaders as there is no differences between them and a child card.

5 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

... since if you're an adult, you don't get any reduced fare whatsoever. 

There's no age limits on post-secondary students. And there's also the discounted adult fare for those receiving Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Ontario  Works (OW) assistance or a Toronto Child Care Fee Subsidy.

Lots of valid reasons an adult's card would have the concession beep. One one occasion recently I accidentally tapped the Senior's card I forgot was carrying! As the other card in my wallet - the one I'd meant to tap - had a pass loaded, the only person I was cheating was myself!

On 2/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, Young said:

To drag up a (slightly old) topic, here are some pictures of the shelters under construction.

DSC_3081.thumb.jpg.54e2992ae2e9f6201fca2b6a5bfb7169.jpg

Above picture is the shelter on the southwest corner, presumably to be utilized by southbound Jane buses (and possibly those eastbound on Eglinton).

DSC_3083.thumb.jpg.a6f0b4f28637ae3b4f1e427723b77b6f.jpg

Second picture is the shelter on the northeast corner. The northbound stop will presumably move from its current south side location to the north.

2 minutes ago, Articulated said:

To drag up a (slightly old) topic, here are some pictures of the shelters under construction.

DSC_3081.thumb.jpg.54e2992ae2e9f6201fca2b6a5bfb7169.jpg

Above picture is the shelter on the southwest corner, presumably to be utilized by southbound Jane buses (and possibly those eastbound on Eglinton).

DSC_3083.thumb.jpg.a6f0b4f28637ae3b4f1e427723b77b6f.jpg

Second picture is the shelter on the northeast corner. The northbound stop will presumably move from its current south side location to the north.

They’re also on the SE corner of VP and Ellesmere

9 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

They’re also on the SE corner of VP and Ellesmere

There is also one at the SW corner of Neilson and Ellesmere.

Here's hoping these shelters won't be a space abused by the vagrants and hooligans smell like pi$$ and vinegar.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Here's hoping these shelters won't be a space abused by the vagrants and hooligans smell like pi$$ and vinegar.

We all can hope but we know that they will eventually, these will probably turn into a house for someone because they meet the ground and are sealed well, does anyone know if they are heated?

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

We all can hope but we know that they will eventually, these will probably turn into a house for someone because they meet the ground and are sealed well, does anyone know if they are heated?

So it's better if the homeless stay on the sidewalk where we can step over them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

Access Hub shelters are heated.