Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

Do the aux heaters for the hybrid LFS's blow tons of black smoke on startup? I have noticed this on more than one occasion, where the Hybrid LFS was spewing black smoke while parked, but it's not from the engine exhaust, it comes from down below on the drivers side. 

If I'm not mistaken, that's likely the Webasto heater starting up. If you look closely, there's a little tailpipe down there. 

It is, but typically they shouldn’t smoke if everything is working right .

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Are they the same ones used on non hybrid units? The non hybrid ones dont smoke. 

They do smoke sometimes and I've had it happen a few times while driving a Nova hybrid, but as Bus_Medic said if they're working right they don't smoke. 

5 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

When Line 1 got extended and TTC pulled back all of its north of Steeles routes in the west end, didn't they free up some buses or was that a minimal amount? Surplus buses there.

It did. Around 40 of them were freed up and substantially reallocated to the new express routes in fall 2018. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

They do smoke sometimes and I've had it happen a few times while driving a Nova hybrid, but as Bus_Medic said if they're working right they don't smoke. 

It's a glorified oil furnace burner.  It'll smoke if it's out of adjustment.  Pick up a copy of the Audel's Oil Burner guidebook if you want to know more.  I got one at a vintage store when I bought my house which had oil heat.  It was worth the king's ransom of $1.50 that I paid for it back in 2013.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It's a glorified oil furnace burner.  It'll smoke if it's out of adjustment.  Pick up a copy of the Audel's Oil Burner guidebook if you want to know more.  I got one at a vintage store when I bought my house which had oil heat.  It was worth the king's ransom of $1.50 that I paid for it back in 2013.

I think buying a coffee would be better use of my money. 

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The fuel mixture is too rich?

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Knowledge > coffee 

Indeed.  I agree totally.

The oil heat ran into a problem in between visits to look at the house and conked out in the middle of January so I was able to get the estate sale people to accept an offer that was $10,000 less than original.  So after spending the $1.50 on the book at the vintage store and doing some reading, I came out $9,998.50 ahead.  That buys a whole hell of a lot more coffee than the $1.50 outlay I spent on the book would.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

The fuel mixture is too rich?

Pretty much.  The goal is to tune the burner into a sweet spot so that it has enough air to allow the oil or diesel to completely combust and not cover all the heating surfaces with soot and clog the exhaust which causes an efficiency hit, but without any excessive air draft through the combustion chamber which blows heat out the chimney and knocks efficiency down that way.

Oh I forgot to mention, the boilers for trainline steam heat back in the day used an autoadjustment mechanism on the air vents to regulate air flow automatically to match the firing rate of the burner so the two would track for proper combustion at whatever burn rate was needed for the heat requirements on the train.  I don't know if the Wabasto heaters work similarly or if they're more close to a domestic oil burner where you have to manually adjust the air doors and use a firite analyzer to check the exhaust gas contents to get the burner tuning lined up properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Knowledge > coffee 

If I had an oil heater then yes. Since I don't have an oil heater and I don't intend on screwing around with the aux heater on any bus, this knowledge is not relevant to my needs. 

7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

If I had an oil heater then yes. Since I don't have an oil heater and I don't intend on screwing around with the aux heater on any bus, this knowledge is not relevant to my needs. 

Knowledge >>> Coffee

Why do you think Technology Connections and AvE are so popular? Regardless, if you don't think you'll have a use for some knowledge today, you may apply it to other things in the future. You may not think that's the case now, but without that knowledge to begin with, you won't be able to tell when you should apply it. 

Never stop learning

PS: Tea >>> Coffee

There’s a fixed restrictor plate at the air intake with an adjustment set screw. We manually set it up with a flue gas analyzer during the fall hvac check.

20 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Knowledge >>> Coffee

Why do you think Technology Connections and AvE are so popular? Regardless, if you don't think you'll have a use for some knowledge today, you may apply it to other things in the future. You may not think that's the case now, but without that knowledge to begin with, you won't be able to tell when you should apply it. 

Never stop learning

PS: Tea >>> Coffee

I don't need a life coach but thanks for trying. I am perfectly capable figuring out how to adjust an oil furnace with my existing knowledge. The concept of having a proper air to fuel ratio is not foreign to me. Perhaps you should pick up that book and expand your knowledge. 

As far as coffee versus tea. some people a coffee, some people like tea, some people like water, some people like red bull. Don't be obtuse and make blanket statements. 

9 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

There’s a fixed restrictor plate at the air intake with an adjustment set screw. We manually set it up with a flue gas analyzer during the fall hvac check.

Very simple 👍 

Yesterday there was a shooting at Markham and Ellesmere and teenage boy was killed. One bus got a bullet hole through the glass but luckily no passengers were injured.  Scary stuff going on out there. 

IMG-20200120-WA0008.jpg

• Sad 5

On 1/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, Someguy3071 said:

Yesterday there was a shooting at Markham and Ellesmere and teenage boy was killed. One bus got a bullet hole through the glass but luckily no passengers were injured.  Scary stuff going on out there. 

Yikes, I heard about that but didn't know a bus was hit. And rather unsurprising, the 15 year old teen was killed by another 15 year junior gangbanger, who was charged with first degree murder. About f'n time. Here's hoping it sticks and the little sh*tbird rots in jail.

Nothing surprises about Scarborough anymore.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but what is with the black stains on most (if not all) Nova LFS Artic buses on their right rear most windows? IMG_1204.thumb.jpg.36097007a6fcffeb9e5ee05bab7577dc.jpg

9 hours ago, Finch East said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but what is with the black stains on most (if not all) Nova LFS Artic buses on their right rear most windows? IMG_1204.thumb.jpg.36097007a6fcffeb9e5ee05bab7577dc.jpg

One of two things:

Excess grease that gets picked up from the front door pivot pins on the Orions by the wash rack brushes. Gets re deposited all along the other buses.

or,

Someone who was careless with an angle grinder, and got sparks on the glass. They have the potential to mar the surface.

• Thanks 7

With VISION being down all day it got me wondering, do operators carry tetra radios with them?
Every bus I took today had their TCH units stuck on reboot which means no way of communicating with transit control. Surely their would be backups in place for events like this.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, Mike said:

What would have worked best is to have tail tracks and crossover north of Finch and have each train arrive on the northbound platform, unload, move north (leaving space on northbound platform for next train) then crossover and move to southbound platform.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, John Oke said:

I’m pretty sure on some parts of the Underground in London that’s normal practice.

It seems to be the standard pretty much anywhere in Europe - that's how it works in Prague, Warsaw, and Budapest (with the exception of Örs vezér tere, the eastern terminus of line 2 (one of only 2 outdoor stations on that line), where the trains just dwell on the platform before reversing since there is no pocket track there, just a dead end). Pretty sure Moscow is the same, at least for some terminal stations.

56 minutes ago, Andythagiant said:

With VISION being down all day it got me wondering, do operators carry tetra radios with them?
Every bus I took today had their TCH units stuck on reboot which means no way of communicating with transit control. Surely their would be backups in place for events like this.

The handset was capable of rudimentary 2 way communication if the button is held down.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The handset was capable of rudimentary 2 way communication if the button is held down.

A few buses I was on today you can hear from the visions unit 2 people talking faintly.  Driver on 1 bus said it's been like that for a while today

• Like 1

One of my buses kept trying to reboot as not even the stop announcements were working. The machine was making beeping noises and I also heard some faint talking several times on both of my buses.