Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

21 minutes ago, Shaun said:

You would think that by using the same technology in LRT traction motors they could power and do regenerative breaking on each axle. 

Your grasp of the obvious is astounding.

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Like this 

STM specifically has purchased their own tire siping machine, and manufactures their own snows...and as much as the foamer who shot the video is convinced that everything was better before because- GM, I pushed plenty of fishbowls out with the 4wd truck when they were around.

If an operator throws common sense to the wind, one can get a Sherman tank stuck.

• Like 2

Are the current TTC streetcar facilities built to handle only the 30m long Flexity cars or can it accommodate the longer 7 modules ones at 40m?

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Are the current TTC streetcar facilities built to handle only the 30m long Flexity cars or can it accommodate the longer 7 modules ones at 40m?

Many of the facilities aren't built to handle even the 30-metre long cars. The stop at Spadina station in particular comes to mind, where the platform length should be a minimum of 60 metres long, to handle the streetcar that's loading, and the one that's unloading - but seems closer to 45 metres long, which means that the unloading car invariably as to sit there, waiting for the loading car to leave.

Other termini are also problematic, including Union (which is at least scheduled for a rebuild) and Broadview (where at least they are looking at it).

17 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

only one streetcar at a time at Broadview.  During rush hour you will see a line up outside of the Broadview station.

Imagine come Spring 2020 when 505 uses Flexities; how the rush hour situation would be during rush hours...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

only one streetcar at a time at Broadview.  During rush hour you will see a line up outside of the Broadview station.

I know step back crews are happening at Spadina station, but is the same happening over at Broadview?

If so it's probably time for double step-backs.

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

It's the same for Dundas West. There would be a car or two stuck outside sometimes with two in the station.

The split 504A and 504B branch means ops only have the station at one of the terminals and would take their washroom break/coffee run at the station. The extra time makes everything worst. Maybe they should invest in operator lounges at the other ends.

7 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The split 504A and 504B branch means ops only have the station at one of the terminals and would take their washroom break/coffee run at the station. The extra time makes everything worst. Maybe they should invest in operator lounges at the other ends.

There is a bathroom at Exhibition West for the operators. Just like there has been for the past 80 or so years.

Dan

Merry Christmas

I got the magnets tile patterns of all the Subway stations from the Spacing Store they gave me two Bessarions and no Leslie so I’ll have to swap one for it

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Random question:

do the PCC’s and the Peter Witt track on Transsee?

Like the above user said, they can't be tracked on transee.  The reason they can't be tracked because they don't have a trump unit or a vision system.  Having said that the fishbowl cannot be tracked either. 

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Like the above user said, they can't be tracked on transee.  The reason they can't be tracked because they don't have a trump unit or a vision system.  Having said that the fishbowl cannot be tracked either. 

But the fishbowls have/had trump units... So why can they not be tracked? 

Also why do flexity streetcars still have tump units? I thought that the system that supports it was going to be taken offline. 

4 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Also why do flexity streetcars still have tump units? I thought that the system that supports it was going to be taken offline. 

2252 has a trump unit just for show. Why would they use that old hardware anyway? They are getting rid of trump units, so no point.

7 hours ago, John Oke said:

Merry Christmas

I got the magnets tile patterns of all the Subway stations from the Spacing Store they gave me two Bessarions and no Leslie so I’ll have to swap one for it

image.jpg

Merry Christmas to you too.  The subway map’s nice even with the duplicated Bessarions but what really brought back memories was the Hardy Boys books on the shelf below.  I used to love unwrapping those on Christmas morning and my collection was a similar mix of old and new cover styles too. 

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Even the PCCs and some trolleybuses had Trump units near the end.  The issue surrounds the telecommunications back end and Bell withdrawing service among a few other things which all amounted to strong arming the TTC to Dump Trump (some of my friends south of the border are jealous they can’t do the same).

• Haha 7

On 12/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Are the front and side destination signs on the TR's operated by different systems? 

Some trains where showing "finch west" going north and southbound but the side destination sign says to Vaughan. 

Are the front and side destination signs on the TR's operated by different systems? 

Some trains where showing "finch west" going north and southbound but the side destination sign says to Vaughan. 

15 hours ago, Shaun said:

I believe it is separate. On the T1s it is seperate, since I was once on a T1, the side signs were working until Pape, but when the operator touched something at Pape, the side signs turned off.

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

Yes, they are two different and discrete systems. The TTC asked Bombardier about integrating the two, but Bombardier either said "no" or gave them a go-away price - and so they will stay discrete.

47 minutes ago, 7749 said:

I believe it is separate. On the T1s it is seperate, since I was once on a T1, the side signs were working until Pape, but when the operator touched something at Pape, the side signs turned off.

The TTC asked the same of Bombardier for the T1s, and got the same response.

Dan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

The TTC asked Bombardier about integrating the two, but Bombardier either said "no" or gave them a go-away price - and so they will stay discrete.

When I have a client sole-sourcing work that keeps many employed, I bend over backwards to do sensible things, even if I can't bill all the work.

12 hours ago, 7749 said:

Also the fact that the front destination signs on the T1s are rollsigns, so it makes sense that they're independent from the side LED signs.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:28 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Any idea why the RT has been running manual the past few days?

It hasn't been.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, nfitz said:

When I have a client sole-sourcing work that keeps many employed, I bend over backwards to do sensible things, even if I can't bill all the work.

You're assuming that (a) that the work in question would have kept many employed (it probably wouldn't), and (b) that the work was going to be worth the trouble.

In fairness, there is a third option that I should have also mentionned - that Bombardier gave them a "reasonable" price and that the TTC said "crap, we don't have the budget for that". ("Reasonable" in quotes because what is reasonable to some may not be reasonable to others.)

On 12/28/2019 at 11:08 PM, 81-717 said:

Also the fact that the front destination signs on the T1s are rollsigns, so it makes sense that they're independent from the side LED signs.

That isn't a big deal. There are ways of automating it, or even converting them to digital signs.

Dan

• Like 1