Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

These Nova hybrids can be pretty damn efficient. I just got this average fuel consumption in service. 

IMG_20191217_022518.jpg

What are the avg fuel consumption for the Orion hybrids and the other diesel models?

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

Thanks.

Is it cause the Orions don't show the consumption on the hud?

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Thanks.

Is it cause the Orions don't show the consumption on the hud?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I wonder what the TTC's general opinion is on the fuel efficiency on the Nova Hybrids vs the Orion Hybrids, which I know they weren't happy with, both reliability & fuel efficiency wise.

They are still relatively new to the fleet, so long term reliability is still in the air, but they should have a better idea on the fuel efficiency one vs the other. I don't remember if it was mentioned during any of the board meetings, I usually watch those on youtube.

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

In the CEO's report it indicated that they are more reliable than expected, and that they are happy with the performance.

Cool! I missed that buried on Page 15 - here's what they said:

"These latest generation hybrids are performing above our reliability targets. Staff has measured the vehicles to be consuming roughly 25 per cent less fuel than the most advanced clean diesel buses in our fleet. This reduction in fuel consumption produces 30 per cent fewer greenhouse gas emissions. The fuel savings for a hybrid bus is estimated at $10,000 per bus per year as compared to a clean diesel bus (or about $2.5 million annually)."

How long does a bus last now? 12 years? $120,000 savings. I bet the cost is more than that.

It will be interesting to see how the all-electrics do ...

• Thanks 1

I feel like it’s time that there should be a updated video 

it has the Trolley busses, PCC’s, CLRV’s, no ALRV’s, the VIA LRC’s, As well as older GO locomotives. And the scenery along the streets has changed. I’d be open into making a updated one this spring 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Cool! I missed that buried on Page 15 - here's what they said:

"These latest generation hybrids are performing above our reliability targets. Staff has measured the vehicles to be consuming roughly 25 per cent less fuel than the most advanced clean diesel buses in our fleet. This reduction in fuel consumption produces 30 per cent fewer greenhouse gas emissions. The fuel savings for a hybrid bus is estimated at $10,000 per bus per year as compared to a clean diesel bus (or about $2.5 million annually)."

How long does a bus last now? 12 years? $120,000 savings. I bet the cost is more than that.

It will be interesting to see how the all-electrics do ...

Ah, very nice.

Anyone know why 9000 pilot artic was skipped in the rebuild and driver over to be based out of Malvern while all of its 2013 sisters are rebuilt and they started with the 2014s?

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Anyone know why 9000 pilot artic was skipped in the rebuild and driver over to be based out of Malvern while all of its 2013 sisters are rebuilt and they started with the 2014s?

9000 was sent back to the factory and came back around the time 9050 is being deliver. Makes sense to do it a little later.

The Malvern ones should have the lowest mileage. Since it's there, they might be rebuilt with them.

11 hours ago, Orion V said:

9000 actually drives really well. 

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

9000 was sent back to the factory and came back around the time 9050 is being deliver. Makes sense to do it a little later.

The Malvern ones should have the lowest mileage. Since it's there, they might be rebuilt with them.

I noticed that not all of the Malvern Artics have the more knobby tires for winter. 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I noticed that not all of the Malvern Artics have the more knobby tires for winter. 

Yes, they do.

28 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

As an added bonus, we’ve equipped the B axle as well.

That's true but I could still get the B axle sliding in a turn, although it was much less then before with regular tires. 

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That's true but I could still get the B axle sliding in a turn, although it was much less then before with regular tires. 

So how does the transit agencies in Quebec deal with these buses in the snow? Do they use different tires in the winter?

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

I would love to try in snow with those knobby tires, a New Flyer XE60.  It has B and C powered axles.

You would think that by using the same technology in LRT traction motors they could power and do regenerative breaking on each axle.