Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lip said:

^He's probably referring to the engine "whine" that sometimes comes out of the Novas when they accelerate. Almost like the sound of a liquid being sipped out of a straw when the flow is being restricted (ie: straw is being pinched).

Absolutely not

This was classical. Sounded like it was coming over the PA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

They're trying that shit again? Playing classical music to scare away unruly teenagers? 😂

I got into classical when I was 19....must’ve been some Piano Concerto.

Thing is, and this is subjective for me at least; you can’t not like classical. It’s just cool. Imagine a packed bus and classical music is playing overhead...that would diffuse the situation in my view. 
 

In my defence if this makes no sense I’m tired as hell and studying, so forgive me.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I got into classical when I was 19....must’ve been some Piano Concerto.

Thing is, and this is subjective for me at least; you can’t not like classical. It’s just cool. Imagine a packed bus and classical music is playing overhead...that would diffuse the situation in my view. 
 

In my defence if this makes no sense I’m tired as hell and studying, so forgive me.

 

Agreed. When they came up with that absurd plan about twenty years ago, I actually hung around the station longer because I was raised on classical music. 🤣

"Hmmmm listen to Beethoven 5th symphony third movement or catch this GM in the old colours. Agonizing choice"

😂😂😂😂

I would love to listen to some chamber music on a bus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Agreed. When they came up with that absurd plan about twenty years ago, I actually hung around the station longer because I was raised on classical music. 🤣

"Hmmmm listen to Beethoven 5th symphony third movement or catch this GM in the old colours. Agonizing choice"

😂😂😂😂

I would love to listen to some chamber music on a bus.

No thanks. I don't want to be driving that bus listening to classical all day long. 

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

No thanks. I don't want to be driving that bus listening to classical all day long. 

Would it be better or worse than listening to the same announcements repeat themselves each trip up and down the line?

At least it isn't the possibility of Christmas music being discussed here.  I honestly feel sorry for retail employees right now.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

At least it isn't the possibility of Christmas music being discussed here.  I honestly feel sorry for retail employees right now.

Three winters of it at a dealership, where they were too lazy to take it off til March. Safe to say Christmas music is not to my liking. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

No thanks. I don't want to be driving that bus listening to classical all day long. 

Heavy metal guy. Knew it. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Would it be better or worse than listening to the same announcements repeat themselves each trip up and down the line?

At least it isn't the possibility of Christmas music being discussed here.  I honestly feel sorry for retail employees right now.

Announcement are not that noticeable and are pretty brief. If something was playing non stop that would be very annoying. Buses are loud enough as it is. Don't need any more ambient noise around. 

I find announcement on subway and go trains to be long and annoying. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Could have been the operator playing it over a bluetooth speaker with the boom mic picking it up.

Are ops allowed to play music over bluetooth speakers?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Are ops allowed to play music over bluetooth speakers?

I doubt it.  With how draconian the TTC is on their staff, I really can’t see this being permitted.

The idea though does remind me of an older streetcar driver who’s probably retired now.  Years and years ago, he would sit a small battery powered boom box on the sill beneath the side window next to the operators seat on the CLRVs and have the radio playing quietly.  I can’t imagine that was allowed either.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Speaking of announcements whatever happened to the "99 Kennedy, 99 Kennedy, 99 Kennedy please call" and the "299 St. George, 299 St. George, 299 St. George please call"?

Maybe they gave more people Tetra radios, and they are able to communicate more effectively. But you're right, I haven't heard those announcements for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, MK78 said:

Maybe they gave more people Tetra radios, and they are able to communicate more effectively. But you're right, I haven't heard those announcements for a while.

All Janitors now have radios, so there is no need to call them over the PA anymore.  Mechanics, supervisors always had them

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, BusDude said:

All Janitors now have radios, so there is no need to call them over the PA anymore.  Mechanics, supervisors always had them

Well I just heard a 506 Yorkdale on the subway platform so I guess they still use it if they don’t answer their radio.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thing to ask once more. When did Birchmount began operating the 34 EGLINTON EAST when the route began extending to Guildwood in 1964? IIRC, I think Old Eglinton began operating the route in its inception in 1957. Before Comstock opened, the 34 was split with Birchmount and Old Eglinton except Birchmount ran the route east of Kennedy Stn to Morningside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

Thanks.

Is it cause the Orions don't show the consumption on the hud?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...