Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, BusDude said:

I was on car 5098 last night on line 2 and noticed it had new chimes by the doors.  The flashing orange light is brighter and it also shows "Doors open" when the doors are open.  

it's had it for some time now, i believe it's been months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is way strange to ask but...

If the 2017-18 86xx-89xx,92xx buses were replacements for the Orion VII 1201 buses along with the 34xx-36xx replacing some of the Orion VII NG HEV 1308B/C and 1329A buses, are any of the 2018 31xx-33xx order replacement buses or expansion buses for the post-TYSSE improvements and Express Network services? 


Just for curiosity sake. No wonder the Orion VII NG Hybrid, VII NG Clean Diesel and VII Clean Diesel orders likely killed off and replaced the 1988-89 D40s, 1991 Vs and the remaining GM New Look buses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Express Network said:

This is way strange to ask but...

If the 2017-18 86xx-89xx,92xx buses were replacements for the Orion VII 1201 buses along with the 34xx-36xx replacing some of the Orion VII NG HEV 1308B/C and 1329A buses, are any of the 2018 31xx-33xx order replacement buses or expansion buses for the post-TYSSE improvements and Express Network services? 


Just for curiosity sake. No wonder the Orion VII NG Hybrid, VII NG Clean Diesel and VII Clean Diesel orders likely killed off and replaced the 1988-89 D40s, 1991 Vs and the remaining GM New Look buses.

Not a strange question to ask.

All three of the series mentioned contained both replacement and expansion buses. Besides the normal service improvements for crowding and implementation of the Express Network (most of which BTW was done by reallocating existing resources, not new buses), the TTC under Byford moved to a higher spare ratio for the bus fleet to improve maintenance and reliability.

Problem with the TTC is that they often hang onto vehicles until they die, rather than retire a bus as soon as its replacement is ready for service. So this makes it difficult sometimes to track what buses/series are supposed to be retired by what buses/series... especially if the retirement happens months later.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

These have been popping up on at least Line 2 recently and I thought I would post a picture

7B2A2771-3AA9-4D53-8B63-381F92CD038D.jpeg

Yeah, been seeing these... Saw one at warden platform few days ago, with a screen that was already glitchy, all distorted and flickering...

Who makes this crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

These have been popping up on at least Line 2 recently and I thought I would post a picture

7B2A2771-3AA9-4D53-8B63-381F92CD038D.jpeg

These have been around for a while.  Union was the first to get them, and that was in the summer.  Broadview stn has had them for months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnalogPentium said:

So basically, I was looking for reference pictures for the Toronto Rockets when I stumbled upon this picture of the doors:

image.thumb.png.c7e37c3e0cfdaaeb07a37835f773267b.png

What's up with these doors? Was this from a mock up or was this actually how they originally came?

The doors where red for production units. Unless this is a door that was installed before it was painted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnalogPentium said:

So basically, I was looking for reference pictures for the Toronto Rockets when I stumbled upon this picture of the doors:

image.thumb.png.c7e37c3e0cfdaaeb07a37835f773267b.png

What's up with these doors? Was this from a mock up or was this actually how they originally came?

This was a mock-up.  The Bell ad on the right with the beavers was from before the 2010s, and if you look closely as the reflection in the window of the left door, you'll notice the chain station that was used for the mock-up directing observers in & out of the car.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lip said:

Also note, the original door manufacturer for the TRs (Curtis Doors I believe) went bust right before production so Bombardier had to look for another door supplier.

My vague recollection of the discussion almost a decade ago, was that Bombardier purchased the door supplier when they were going bankrupt. I've no idea where I read this, or to it's accuracy now though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

My vague recollection of the discussion almost a decade ago, was that Bombardier purchased the door supplier when they were going bankrupt. I've no idea where I read this, or to it's accuracy now though.

It was claimed that the TRs were delayed because Bombardier was forced to switch door suppliers and couldn't be penalized. 

A cached copy of the article: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QeFsTCQKQncJ:https://www.thestar.com/news/ttc/2010/04/27/ttcs_new_subway_cars_delayed.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Offtopic rant: The article was free to read at the time of publish. I don't believe they should charge to read old content that was free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It was claimed that the TRs were delayed because Bombardier was forced to switch door suppliers and couldn't be penalized. 

Ah yes ... I think after that (April 2010), I heard that their solution to this, was they ended up buying the door manufacturer themselves. Which didn't mean there weren't delays ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...