Jump to content
Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Recommended Posts

Small question: On the 40' LFS buses, why there are no large ad board frames on the right side of the bus? They could've used the smaller ad board frames found in most GM New Looks and D40s as pictured below.

Toronto_Transit_Commission_6500-a.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express Network said:

Small question: On the 40' LFS buses, why there are no large ad board frames on the right side of the bus? They could've used the smaller ad board frames found in most GM New Looks and D40s as pictured below.

Toronto_Transit_Commission_6500-a.jpg

I love the pic used! I wish one of our old girls were kept a float somewhere...

Anywho, I guess that was an option that we opted against given that when a side impact collision would happen, the body panels and possibly the frame would suffer from the hit. Also, causing the the image of the vehicle to look poorly maintained. I don’t believe I’ve seen a transit agency using the small ad racks on the curb side on any buses lately for that matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

I love the pic used! I wish one of our old girls were kept a float somewhere...

Anywho, I guess that was an option that we opted against given that when a side impact collision would happen, the body panels and possibly the frame would suffer from the hit. Also, causing the the image of the vehicle to look poorly maintained. I don’t believe I’ve seen a transit agency using the small ad racks on the curb side on any buses lately for that matter...

Nah, those things are like tissue paper. Even the wellnuts that hold them on are designed to give.

Theres not reason not to other than aesthetics. Really, with the proliferation of wrap decals nowadays, ad frames really aren’t necessary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Theres not reason not to other than aesthetics.

 

Well, no. Aesthetics doesn't come into play when talking about advertising.

 

If they didn't fit a large ad frame, it's because they couldn't. I suspect that the large one would interfere with the fueling door, and thus they needed to use a smaller one.


Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, smallspy said:

If they didn't fit a large ad frame, it's because they couldn't. I suspect that the large one would interfere with the fueling door, and thus they needed to use a smaller one.

Other transit agencies specified large frames on their buses and it didn't seem to interfere with the fuel door, though it looks as if OC Transpo did specify small frames on their 90xx D40s:

APTA2028.jpgNFTA9309.jpgOak894.JPG

OC9030.jpgOC9207.jpgYRT8922.jpg

EDIT: On further inspection, it looks as if it may have had something to do with the TTC's extra turn signal, which none of the above agencies specified:

TTC6619.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Large ad racks also will not fit on the TTC spec Nova, large rear doors take up majority of the real estate there if you compare it to the picture of a STM LFS 

A cheaper option and a more common option companies use these days are just to slap the ad to the bus itself and remove when the campaign is done ( see example below I just took. ) I can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen Pattinson bring ad racks into the garage 

 

2CE2BEB5-D256-4795-B0B4-62117479BEFD.png

D7327F5E-3ABA-4C5D-9F8C-4916C2382EFF.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, Bus_Medic said:

🤷‍♂️

I wonder if all new vehicles will come with simple one-piece non-potentially-opening windows? Or will it look like maybe they can be opened, but really can't be?

I will miss the CLRVs, last TTC vehicles with usefully opening windows. After riding the last scheduled CLRV from Long Branch a few weeks ago, I rode back on a Flexity where someone ate some spicy food and of course everyone else gets to smell it too because you can't open a window and get fresh air.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I wonder if all new vehicles will come with simple one-piece non-potentially-opening windows? Or will it look like maybe they can be opened, but really can't be?

I will miss the CLRVs, last TTC vehicles with usefully opening windows. After riding the last scheduled CLRV from Long Branch a few weeks ago, I rode back on a Flexity where someone ate some spicy food and of course everyone else gets to smell it too because you can't open a window and get fresh air.

I was thinking about that earlier this week as well. When I was in BC, I rode some of their newer LFS hybrids and the windows were 50/50 between single pane and tip-in. They did have signs on the windows indicating to only open in emergency. Anyone here know what the cost difference is between tip ins and one piece windows? Quick search found that on a sprinter single pane windows were cheaper than sliders, wonder if the case is the same for transit buses. 

I've never looked, but are the tip in windows on the flexities drilled shut too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 1:23 PM, tomsbuspage said:

Other transit agencies specified large frames on their buses and it didn't seem to interfere with the fuel door, though it looks as if OC Transpo did specify small frames on their 90xx D40s:

APTA2028.jpgNFTA9309.jpgOak894.JPG

OC9030.jpgOC9207.jpgYRT8922.jpg

EDIT: On further inspection, it looks as if it may have had something to do with the TTC's extra turn signal, which none of the above agencies specified:

TTC6619.jpg

I always thought that these buses looked like they where 35ft rather than 40.  But the ones with the Cummins engine looked longer, even though they are the same. Maybe it's due to the windows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Shaun said:

I always thought that these buses looked like they where 35ft rather than 40.  But the ones with the Cummins engine looked longer, even though they are the same. Maybe it's due to the windows?

I can't really answer that question, but here's a broadside photo of 6482:

TTC6482.JPG

Definitely looks forty feet long to me.  It could also be the angle of the buses in the photos above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's the short wheel base. Which also made them a bit bouncy. 

Kinda like the new Nova's. They look short too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I've never looked, but are the tip in windows on the flexities drilled shut too? 

Someone on that very streetcar tried to open the window, and failed. So I assume, screwed shut. Has anyone seen a flexity with an open window at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Someone on that very streetcar tried to open the window, and failed. So I assume, screwed shut. Has anyone seen a flexity with an open window at all?

The windows aren’t screwed shut. You need a specific tool to unlatch the ‘lock’ holding the window closed. Thus far, 4568 has a window open on the rear street side of the car. I guess it’s been forgotten about to have been running with it open since it entered service 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The windows aren’t screwed shut. You need a specific tool to unlatch the ‘lock’ holding the window closed. Thus far, 4568 has a window open on the rear street side of the car. I guess it’s been forgotten about to have been running with it open since it entered service 

For the average rider, I'm not sure needing a special tool to open the LFLRV windows is functionally different from the bus windows being screwed shut. After all, a special tool resembling a screwdriver would probably get the bus windows open. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This stupid windows closed policy is pissing people off. During the last week or so, I've heard numerous people asking the drivers to turn on the AC, because its just stifling in the buses. Some refuse, some turn it on. People are also grabbing for the windows even in the lower section of the buses, and they've noticed the screws.

I can somewhat understand the need for this during summer heat. But not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Random thing but I find it absolutely hilarious 4412 still has an APTA award sticker on it

A good number of the early delivery car into the 445xs retain the sticker. As do a handful of LFSes that are allocated at Birchmount and Queensway 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, MK78 said:

This stupid windows closed policy is pissing people off. During the last week or so, I've heard numerous people asking the drivers to turn on the AC, because its just stifling in the buses. Some refuse, some turn it on. People are also grabbing for the windows even in the lower section of the buses, and they've noticed the screws.

I can somewhat understand the need for this during summer heat. But not now.

As of today the screws are being removed from the bus windows. I'm not sure if they will lock the windows again next summer of forget about the idea altogether.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^By far the most idiotic policy instituted by the TTC in the decade. Rick Leary is so much dumber than I thought.

On a side note what's with the external speakers that have been installed on the T1s, did they get them from Dollarama? They haven't even been active for 1 month and half of them already sound muffled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, lip said:

^By far the most idiotic policy instituted by the TTC in the decade. Rick Leary is so much dumber than I thought.

On a side note what's with the external speakers that have been installed on the T1s, did they get them from Dollarama? They haven't even been active for 1 month and half of them already sound muffled.

You can't blame Rick Leary for everything.  It is probably the doing of the surface transportation manager.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

You can't blame Rick Leary for everything.  It is probably the doing of the surface transportation manager.  

Being the CEO, he has the ultimate rubber stamp over all major decisions at the TTC. If he said no, the project would've been stopped. No if, ands, or buts.

I have yet to hear one solid explanation behind the rational of screwing the windows shut. There have been tons of complaints about it, and as CEO he could have either directed the communications dept or better yet, come out himself (via one of numerous communication means) with the reasoning as to why they went ahead with the decision. This is just basic business 101, it doesnt take a Harvard business executive grad to figure this stuff out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lip said:

Being the CEO, he has the ultimate rubber stamp over all major decisions at the TTC. If he said no, the project would've been stopped. No if, ands, or buts.

I have yet to hear one solid explanation behind the rational of screwing the windows shut. There have been tons of complaints about it, and as CEO he could have either directed the communications dept or better yet, come out himself (via one of numerous communication means) with the reasoning as to why they went ahead with the decision. This is just basic business 101, it doesnt take a Harvard business executive grad to figure this stuff out.

I laid the reasons out for you.

you just didn’t find them to your liking.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I laid the reasons out for you.

you just didn’t find them to your liking.

A solid reason from the TTC directly. Last I checked it wasnt your job to convey that information but you chose to do so. Just because I know that information now (yes because of you) there are thousands of riders who still have no idea why the windows were screwed shut all of a sudden. There are people who's sole/major responsibility is to convey that information out to the public, but yet they have failed to do so.

The reason why many people are frustrated with the TTC is because of their pathetic communication and failure to convey information to the public. Here's yet another example of just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lip said:

A solid reason from the TTC directly. Last I checked it wasnt your job to convey that information but you chose to do so. There are people who's sole/major responsibility is to convey that information out to the public, but yet they have failed to do so.

The reason why many people are frustrated with the TTC is because of their pathetic communication and failure to convey information to the public. Here's yet another example of just that.

You posed the question to the limited membership within the discussion board.

Who the hell did you think the response was going to come from?  You asked, I answered...and you’re going to throw it back it me?! Get your future  technical questions from “directly” from customer service, because I’m done with the subject, and you.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

You posed the question to the limited membership within the discussion board.

Who the hell did you think the response was going to come from?  You asked, I answered...and you’re going to throw it back it me?! Get your future  technical questions from “directly” from customer service, because I’m done with the subject, and you.

I'm sorry are you in the TTC's PR/Communications department? Obviously i'm smart enough to realize you work for the TTC. I'm speaking for the general public here who still dont have the answers, not myself explicitly (who got the answer and knows about the issue). Do you think all of the general public is a part of this limited membership board? Didn't think so.

Fine by me if you dont want to answer my questions and are "done with me", I didnt obligate you at any point to do so. Hell I didnt obligate you to feel the need to respond to a statement (ie: not a question) on this topic today and work yourself up over it, so dont start overheating over nothing. Take a chill pill, who got you all worked up at the job today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...