CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

And I've yet to figure out how to open the rear doors on the Novas running POP from the outside. On the old ones, you just stick your hand between the doors and they pop open.

I know how but I won't tell you 😛

5 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

I know how but I won't tell you 😛

Not sure how that's helpful. Had one today on 503 - operator swears they opened the back doors, and that the light on their display went on ... but I was standing there, and even stuck my hand between the doors, to no luck. Oddly, they opened fine at every stop after that - some kind of intermittent "failure".

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Not sure how that's helpful. Had one today on 503 - operator swears they opened the back doors, and that the light on their display went on ... but I was standing there, and even stuck my hand between the doors, to no luck. Oddly, they opened fine at every stop after that - some kind of intermittent "failure".

Did you ever think that you shouldn't be sticking your hand between the doors. People do stupid stuff like this and then complain that doors don't work 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Did you ever think that you shouldn't be sticking your hand between the doors. People do stupid stuff like this and then complain that doors don't work 🤦‍♂️

How do you think that the drivers themselves do it?

Dan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Works perfectly on the old buses.

Not sure what else you are supposed to do, when you are at a POP stop, where the operator has to open the rear doors, but fails to do so (odd that only ever seems to happen on buses, not on streetcars - clearly a training issue).

What's the alternative - should I instead file a customer service complaint about the driver failing to do their job? Or simply solve the problem myself, and speed up boarding.

I see this one the 502/503 all the time. Some people line up for the front, sometimes a group will line up to board the rear of the bus, but the operators often don't open the doors. If I am standing near the doors and people come up, I typically push the doors open if the light is on to let the people on.

I will assume that bus operators are trained to primarily service a stop via the front door. Streetcar operators are trained to service using all doors. I preferably like the bus method more as it turns away the fare evaders, but it is what is. I’m not sure as to if bus operators have been instructed as such, but I would assume they should use all doors at stops. But then again, operators prefer what works best with them

Yeah I preferred it as well in the front doors, but I've noticed since presto has been more widely adopted, the vast majority of operators don't give a shit if someone's presto card shows the red X, or if the readers don't work.

Not sure if its policy now, not to confront passengers about fare?

Only times I've seen it in recent months is when people show bogus transfers.

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

I see this one the 502/503 all the time. Some people line up for the front, sometimes a group will line up to board the rear of the bus, but the operators often don't open the doors. If I am standing near the doors and people come up, I typically push the doors open if the light is on to let the people on.

The operator have discrete on what doors to open. I believe you could be technically fined for helping people illegally get on if the operator decides not to allow them to get on that way.

5 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I will assume that bus operators are trained to primarily service a stop via the front door. Streetcar operators are trained to service using all doors. I preferably like the bus method more as it turns away the fare evaders, but it is what is. I’m not sure as to if bus operators have been instructed as such, but I would assume they should use all doors at stops. But then again, operators prefer what works best with them

there was a memo sent to the drivers reminding them to open the rear doors when operating streetcar routes.  

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The operator have discrete on what doors to open. I believe you could be technically fined for helping people illegally get on if the operator decides not to allow them to get on that way.

never heard of such a rule.  However if you entered the vehicle without paying, you will definitely get a ticket.  

Heck, people are boarding via the backdoors all the time on non streetcar routes.  Some will bitch at the drivers for closing the rear doors.  

14 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

there was a memo sent to the drivers reminding them to open the rear doors when operating streetcar routes.  

never heard of such a rule.  However if you entered the vehicle without paying, you will definitely get a ticket.  

Heck, people are boarding via the backdoors all the time on non streetcar routes.  Some will bitch at the drivers for closing the rear doors.  

I'm surprised if they don't have a rule to write someone a ticket for letting people in. Especially if they purposely let their buddies in the subway through a fare gate by simply activating the sensors.

Is Day 25 of the training program where the trainee gets dispatched on Route 131/108/90?

On 9/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, smallspy said:

How do you think that the drivers themselves do it?

But in that case, is there any chance that the bus will drive off while the hand is in the doort?

53 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

But in that case, is there any chance that the bus will drive off while the hand is in the doort?

Seems unlikely when people are boarding through the front door!

29 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Seems unlikely when people are boarding through the front door!

In that case, yes.

But we've all seen would-be riders dash up to the bus/streetcar/subway at the very last nanosecond. It would not at all surprise me for someone to try the open-the-rear-door trick when the front door has closed already.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Probably not, considering that every single time that I have seen it done the operator of that particular vehicle was the one opening the rear door by sticking his hand in through the gasket and touching the touch bar.

Dan

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

If the Touch bars or sensitive edges are authorized,  the door brake interlock is engaged, so no.

36 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Probably not, considering that every single time that I have seen it done the operator of that particular vehicle was the one opening the rear door by sticking his hand in through the gasket and touching the touch bar.

11 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

If the Touch bars or sensitive edges are authorized,  the door brake interlock is engaged, so no.

Why I think this is a bad idea is when someone is doing the hand-in-the-doors trying to open the rear doors, after the front doors are closed, and the bus is about to pull away. The rear doors won't open, and we've seen that people at the rear doors can get dragged under the wheels. Does this concern make sense??

[Yes, of course the Last Minute Larry will choose to wait for the next bus, rather than hope that the doors will open for their particular special lateness. :rolleyes:]

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Why I think this is a bad idea is when someone is doing the hand-in-the-doors trying to open the rear doors, after the front doors are closed, and the bus is about to pull away. The rear doors won't open, and we've seen that people at the rear doors can get dragged under the wheels. Does this concern make sense??

[Yes, of course the Last Minute Larry will choose to wait for the next bus, rather than hope that the doors will open for their particular special lateness. :rolleyes:]

Yes, but passengers often run up perilously close to departing vehicles in general anyway. This particular scenario doesn’t remedy the other inevitable hazards of life. If it’s not reaching for the rear door edge, it’d be rapping on the window trying to get the operator’s attention- and slipping under that way.

Until duct taping pillows to all the sharp corners on earth is complete, people will just have to be mindful of the consequences of their actions.

1062 has one NG next stop sign but it is not the same one as others

B923BFF8-EF66-4122-9207-439C02B0A248.jpeg

13 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

1062 has one NG next stop sign but it is not the same one as others

B923BFF8-EF66-4122-9207-439C02B0A248.jpeg

This is because the original part is out of production. So the only suitable replacement for it is the NG Stop Request indicator facing the public