CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

16 hours ago, lip said:

^Trust me, im well aware the hot box bench that is the rear seats of the NovaBus. Durigng the winter they act as tush insulators, during the summer they're like a sauna.

Even if the HVAC is working properly and circuates well, the rear bench heating is going to disturb that and create these random heat patches as hot air mixes with cool air. Plus people at the rear of the bus are much closer to the ceiling where the warmer air will gather. I do think if they can properly prevent the engine heat from entering in the bus, the cooling and air circulation wouldn't be as bad.

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

When I was riding in Montreal the other day, someone told me their buses aren't air conditioned - which surprised me, but I only ever seem to ride in the winter or spring in recent years. If true, perhaps they just don't have a lot of clients that request air conditioning.

GTA is the only place in Canada that have been buying buses with AC for an extra $10-15k for the last 2 decades. Most TAs haven't been able to afford this luxury. Vancouver and Montreal only started to buy them recently.

A little Googling reviews:

This article about Edmonton's ETS buses and LRVs:
https://globalnews.ca/news/2305847/adding-air-conditioning-to-ets-buses-a-no-go-says-one-edmonton-councillor/

Currently there is air conditioning in the passenger area of 57 of 94 LRT cars. Two hybrid buses are equipped with A/C. DATS vehicles and 46 city buses have air conditioning, but only in the driver’s compartment.

The remaining 884 buses in Edmonton Transit’s fleet do not have air conditioning, and the city estimates it will cost $43,000 to retrofit each bus with A/C, for a total of $38 million.

Not even all the LRVs have AC.

Winnipeg article from 2016:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-transit-air-conditioning-1.3691708

In an email, a city spokesperson said 275 of the 619 buses in Winnipeg Transit's fleet are air conditioned and replacement of the entire fleet with air conditioned buses is expected in approximately 12 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

GTA is the only place in Canada that have been buying buses with AC for an extra $10-15k for the last 2 decades. Most TAs haven't been able to afford this luxury. Vancouver and Montreal only started to buy them recently.

Not exactly true. Medicine Hat Transit has been only ordering Air Conditioned minibuses since 1985, and only AC'd Full-size buses since 1997. While I haven't been able to confirm this, a driver told me that some of the Fishbowls were retrofitted with AC upon conversion to methanol.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:43 AM, MK78 said:

Ugh, this is a bit of a rant...

What the frig is wrong with some of these Nova's thermostats? Warm days are here and the bloody heat pumps in them like its middle of January? The darn baseboard heaters are so hot that they literally burn you.

Seems to be the older Birchmount Nova's that are the most offending ones. Someone once mentioned that there was some sort of "fix" being implemented for that, but I wonder if it ever got applied to all the buses.

Had a Nova today. Lady yelling at me to turn the heat off. Well it's automatic climate control but I guess I'll just turn it off then.

2 hours ago, andyman said:

Had a Nova today. Lady yelling at me to turn the heat off. Well it's automatic climate control but I guess I'll just turn it off then.

Doesn't well too well, does it?

5 hours ago, andyman said:

I assume you passed on the information to you supervisors.

• Haha 3

On June 2, 2019 at 12:26 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

GTA is the only place in Canada that have been buying buses with AC for an extra $10-15k for the last 2 decades.

Umm, STO, OC Transpo, Kingston Transit, Cornwall Transit, London Transit, Transit Windsor, Greater Sudbury Transit...

None of which I'd consider GTA even if it were Mel Lastman talking about what wonderful suburbs they are.

• Like 1

Do you know what will happen to some of the Queensway's 79xx fleets which doesn't have VISION on them?

I know some went to Birchmount to supplement streetcar replacement routes

Right now, there's only one of them on the Queensway route which is 7921 on Evans

Will they get VISION later on? or be retired later in the year?

I have been hearing a lot of information that mount dennis is going to get arrow roads nova artics later on this year possibly next board period. Wilson division is supposed to loose the route 52  and arrow road is going to be operating that route. I was also told mt dennis will be operating on route 35 jane with the nova artics as well. Has anyone else heard about this? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

I have been hearing a lot of information that mount dennis is going to get arrow roads nova artics later on this year possibly next board period. Wilson division is supposed to loose the route 52  and arrow road is going to be operating that route. I was also told mt dennis will be operating on route 35 jane with the nova artics as well. Has anyone else heard about this? 

Have you heard anything of LFSAs coming back to Wilson?

1 hour ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

That would be a big shuffle! What will WIlson get? The 36?

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

3 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Looking at Transit Toronto's 52 LAWRENCE history article, Arrow Road operated both the route and the 58 MALTON until 1993.

Can't Wilson also take back their namesake route, the 96 WILSON as well?

On 6/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, raptorjays said:

Do you know what will happen to some of the Queensway's 79xx fleets which doesn't have VISION on them?

I know some went to Birchmount to supplement streetcar replacement routes

Right now, there's only one of them on the Queensway route which is 7921 on Evans

Will they get VISION later on? or be retired later in the year?

Anyone please answer this?

On 6/3/2019 at 8:28 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Read back to my earlier posts to find out.

9 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Anyone please answer this?

• Thanks 4

On 4/23/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bus_Medic said:

The latest scuttlebutt is that fleet management has reconsidered and has requested clever devices manufacture kits to equip the rest of the 7900s (excluding the roadblock buses possibly)

There will be some lead time before they’d get around to making them, so they could be deployed on streetcar substitutions exclusively, with the same TETRA radios.

as an aside, the vision buses communicate with TETRA technology as well, it’s just got more extra bells and whistles, like tablet screens ‘n shit.

-I’m feeling generous today.

Some details have turned out to be not true, like the exclusive use as streetcar substitutes, but as of this moment the plan to install vision in them still stands.

23 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Have you heard anything of LFSAs coming back to Wilson?

I have been told Wilson isn't getting their artics back at all.

22 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I was told the route 36 Finch West will use 40 foot buses from arrow road division if they actually decide moving their artics to mount dennis division.

That seems like a more than reasonable response, they don’t have the funds to upgrade that particular garage so they use what buses they can, as for “hand me downs” a bus is a bus and any time I’ve ridden a Queensway allocated bus I’ve seen no issue with them.. they get the job done and the provide service to the residences of Toronto/Etobicoke 

now if people are complaining that aren’t bus fans, it’s possible the older 7s may have been breaking down over a time or they aren’t happy with the service they’re getting but I can hardly see an issue with getting an old Orion 7 vs a new nova.. 

15 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Steve Munro has also admitted that TTC’s been hostile on Queensway’s buses

F73064D2-4FB4-4030-90DD-C0376AB27DDF.jpeg

I wouldn't interpret that as being "hostile". It kind of seems like Queensway is going to get replaced once they have the budget for it.

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Ok Genius "Junho Lee". lol

This genius just doesn't get it 🤣