Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Lately, buses with luggage racks have been appearing on non-900 routes on all-day blocks. Is there any reason for this?

1 hour ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Lately, buses with luggage racks have been appearing on non-900 routes on all-day blocks. Is there any reason for this?

Ultimately, a bus is a bus. While they will try and put the airport buses on the 900, if there is a need to put a bus on a different route - else the route will go wanting - than they will.

Dan

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, Genius101 said:

Why does Queensway garage always get "hand me down" buses from other divisions? It is the only garage that never receives brand new bus deliveries. 

I live in Etobicoke and had to agree with that Question. Except for the presto machine, Queensway has always been the last one to get such upgrades including VISION, and the new liveries. As a matter of fact, there are ZERO vehicles with the new liveries on the Queensway route. 

Eglinton and Birchmount had full of the early version of the Orion Vll and ended up getting new Novas. Even though Birchmount only got like 40 (9200-9239), the new is still new.

i don’t know why the same thing can’t happen to Queensway. 

What's the use in even answering questions anymore if people are going to just keep asking them over and over again anyways expecting a "better" response. 🙄

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

49 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I live in Etobicoke and had to agree with that Question. Except for the presto machine, Queensway has always been the last one to get such upgrades including VISION, and the new liveries. As a matter of fact, there are ZERO vehicles with the new liveries on the Queensway route. 

Birchmount, Malvern and Eglinton got Vision AFTER Queensway.

29 minutes ago, HB_1024 said:

What's the use in even answering questions anymore if people are going to just keep asking them over and over again anyways expecting a "better" response. 🙄

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Birchmount, Malvern and Eglinton got Vision AFTER Queensway.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

Thought that was stupidity

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

Rants don't really need a response 😏

• Haha 2

Go complain to TTC head office if you really want new buses delivered at Queensway.

Or, go see a therapist.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Genius101 said:

That's overreacting. 

More so most of your posts consists of you asking the same question over and over again. You don't seem to accept the same, repeated answer given to you as well.

Like @Orion V said:

And who's overreacting? 

12 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Eglinton and Birchmount had full of the early version of the Orion Vll and ended up getting new Novas. Even though Birchmount only got like 40 (9200-9239), the new is still new.

i don’t know why the same thing can’t happen to Queensway. 

Where would buses go? Queensway is well over capacity. Just because they haven’t received new buses in nearly 3 decades doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Apply for a summer job/apprenticeship with the company, and you’ll get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It may also be interesting to consider for most of those doing the complaining....

As a generality, the reliability of any particular transit vehicle can be graphed using a fairly standard bell curve. A vehicle is at its most reliable not when it first enters service, but rather after a couple of years of use. At that point, all components have broken in, and the maintenance forces are most comfortable with their design. As the vehicle ages and components wear out, reliability starts to drop off.

Perhaps because of the lack of size of the Queensway Division, the Commission is more concerned with having reliable vehicles operating here rather than the newest ones?

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

Where would buses go? Queensway is well over capacity. Just because they haven’t received new buses in nearly 3 decades doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Apply for a summer job/apprenticeship with the company, and you’ll get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes

Not anymore. All employee parking has been removed. Lot's of space now. More buses coming.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

Some say the definition of insanity is doing such a thing as expecting a different result by say asking the same questions and expecting a different answer 

• Confused 1

I noticed that some novas with electric doors (the ones that are hybrids at least) have alarms going off sometimes whenever the doors open. I assume that these are door alarms. Why do they trigger? Are they false alarms? I rarely hear these on non-electric door novas.

23 minutes ago, nagaBus said:

I noticed that some novas with electric doors (the ones that are hybrids at least) have alarms going off sometimes whenever the doors open. I assume that these are door alarms. Why do they trigger? Are they false alarms? I rarely hear these on non-electric door novas.

These alarms were a common problem on the older Novas when they first entered service. They usually activate when people push too hard on the doors

• Like 1

I believe the Orions have a similar alarm - albeit as a solid tone rather than the squealing noise made by the Nova's instrument panels...

2 hours ago, nagaBus said:

Are you referring to the one that chirps 5 times? If so, I've noticed this on the original batches sent to Arrow, as well as on Arrow's current Novas.

4 hours ago, meltingtomato said:

Are you referring to the one that chirps 5 times? If so, I've noticed this on the original batches sent to Arrow, as well as on Arrow's current Novas.

Yes. It can get quite annoying...

7 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

These alarms were a common problem on the older Novas when they first entered service. They usually activate when people push too hard on the doors

It’s analogous to the “drunk alarm” on the GMs. All the buses have them in some form. It’s supposed to be activated whenever the door leaves are pushed while the lock pawl is engaged, or the sensitive edge is triggered. The current ongoing problem on the late model Novas is trying to dial in the sensitivity correctly. Also, some of the sensitive edges are touching the floor on the bottom, this can set them off over rough roads as the door leaves have some vertical play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know how long the 32 buses are going to stop at Glencairn station for? I was going to go get some pictures later.

2 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Does anybody know how long the 32 buses are going to stop at Glencairn station for? I was going to go get some pictures later.

Until the construction at the allen and eglinton ends I would guess.

58 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

The website says 5 am May 20th

10 hours ago, nagaBus said:

Yes. It can get quite annoying...

that's the whole point of alerting the driver of a problem. Same goes with the noise the fire alarm makes.