Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The Victoria Day long weekend is coming up and that's traditionally been the first Sunday of the summer with the PCC on the Harbourfront line in the past.  Will it be running this summer?  I haven't been able to find anything online saying one way or another on it so I was wondering if anybody's hear.

Given how stretched maintenance is, I am thinking the PCCs should be left in the barn this year. But then, I'm fairly unsentimental on this topic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Given how stretched maintenance is, I am thinking the PCCs should be left in the barn this year. But then, I'm fairly unsentimental on this topic.

I'll play devil's advocate here:  Considering how it's going with the legacy LRV fleet, it might actually be less work to put out the PCC than any of the ALRVs and some of the worst CLRVs.  Food for thought.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Just saw 8037 and despite it having VISION it doesn’t have a shark fin. Does anyone know why?

It does, it should be a bit farther back.

Anyone know when will the TTC complete that new livery thing?

I live in Etobicoke, and I do not see single buses with one except for 46 Martin Grove (Arrow Rd)

I always feel like Queensway gets the most outdated fleets and getting any upgrades later than other divisions (except for the presto machine, they were the first one)

6 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

Anyone know when will the TTC complete that new livery thing?

I live in Etobicoke, and I do not see single buses with one except for 46 Martin Grove (Arrow Rd)

Don't count on it until the last of the LFSes go into rebuild. Seeing as they were only delivered in 2016, you'll have a few years' wait still.

7 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I always feel like Queensway gets the most outdated fleets and getting any upgrades later than other divisions (except for the presto machine, they were the first one)

I mean... besides the livery there's not a lot of tangible differences between the 2015-16 Novas and what came after them. The new colours may be neat and flashy, but they're not exactly suffering by not getting buses in the new colours.

4 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

They bought a new front end from Orion to repair it if I recall

But wasn’t the Orion vii OG discontinued by then? Did they buy it second hand

40 minutes ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

New Flyer Industries still owns the Orion Parts business. They'll probably still repair your Orion I

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

after market parts sometimes are available.  Look at the vintage cars.  

7461 got a new front frame after that. 9003's damage is way beyond 7461's damage. The pole left the front/upper right side shredded.

They had to severely amputate what was left just to free it from the stump of the pole to re open the intersection in a reasonable timeframe, so the scope of work would be even larger than just what was sustained in the collision.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

after market parts sometimes are available.  Look at the vintage cars.  

To a point this is true. NATSCO has made quite a niche buisness out of precisely this. 

Fibreglass and windshield parts at the time could still be obtained, the rest can be handled be a mitre chop saw, and proper grade stainless tubing and skilled welder. That’s what happens in the factory anyway. Just more labour intensive because you’re working without a jig.

some electrical harnesses are divided into zones and can be purchased as well, but can be made in house if absolutely necessary, the commission has accounts with the same suppliers that the OEMs use.

• Like 4

This may sound stupid but I had an idea. I may be wrong but if I'm not, this might be a spot for stripped buses awaiting tow to scrap. 

Would the Leslie Barns parking lot have enough space for a couple of retired buses? It seems like there's always a few open spots on the east side of the lot. Not many buses would fit but it could relieve Malvern. Just my thoughts.  image.thumb.png.ba133eac85e781a1cd518e5fcf49ce9d.png

46 minutes ago, 7575 said:

This may sound stupid but I had an idea. I may be wrong but if I'm not, this might be a spot for stripped buses awaiting tow to scrap. 

Would the Leslie Barns parking lot have enough space for a couple of retired buses? It seems like there's always a few open spots on the east side of the lot. Not many buses would fit but it could relieve Malvern. Just my thoughts.  image.thumb.png.ba133eac85e781a1cd518e5fcf49ce9d.png

They are using the obico yard for some relief rn. When TTC is ready to retire the buses at obico they get sent to malvern for stripping.

7 minutes ago, The Queensway said:

Not really, they have 9200 series Nova, some of the 79 series and the Police Event Support buses

Birchmount was used for dead buses. They have a separate area just for them. 

It wouldn't make sense to send them down to the lake from the east end, but then there's Obico. I heard that Malvern wants to reallocate the Hybrids there to one of the West End garages, so there wouldn't be a drive all the way back to Malvern for maintenance.

4 hours ago, andyman said:

The hybrids at Obico are being used as dedicated training buses.

I think we know about it by now, it's been mentioned a few times

I've been taking the 12D in the mornings, transferring over to the 502/503 going towards downtown over the past few months, getting off at Greenwood. Sometimes I'd also take the 502 back in the afternoons as well towards Bingham Loop.

I have yet to see one fare inspector crew on this stretch of route, which even though is using buses now, is a streetcar POP route. I see SO much fare evasion it's hilarious, especially the high school students.

At High Park Station today, people trying to enter through the Quebec Avenue entrance were being told to go through the barrier between Quebec Avenue and the bus roadway to enter from the bus platform. The supervisors also made the stairs and escalator parallel one-way.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, andyman said:

The hybrids at Obico are being used as dedicated training buses.

I think some of those HEVs are awaiting VISION kits to arrive, while some when then time comes, will be sent to Malvern for decommissioning. Is this true?

6 hours ago, 7749 said:

I think some of those HEVs are awaiting VISION kits to arrive, while some when then time comes, will be sent to Malvern for decommissioning. Is this true?

Nope. To the best of my information, the only outstanding units are the remaining 7900s, however many survive until then.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Basket said:

What buses are on the 175

Transsee doesn't list that as a route. Weird.

I also have a question. I saw 1408 this morning on the 14 Glencairn, but displaying a 28 Brick Works sign. Is there a reason for this, or did the operator just punch in the wrong code?