Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

On 4/23/2019 at 9:00 AM, wowzhao said:

This isn't at the old kiss-and-ride - that's been completely fenced off to the public while they build the new intercity terminal. This is the trench that's attached directly to the main TTC bus terminal (inside the fare-paid zone). I'd be surprised if they shifted either the MiWay/GO terminal or the kiss and ride to a spot where people could just enter the system without paying a TTC fare.

Oh, I misunderstood - my apologies.

There was a need to do some building maintenance, which involved replacing the south-facing windows and re-waterproofing the old RT trackway. They have completed the work on the windows, and I guess they are doing the waterproofing now.

They are also building some offices at the east end of the structure as well, onto the trackway area.

Dan

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 11:37 AM, TTCNLFBT said:

This years TTC's Doors Open Toronto 2019 will be held at Bay Lower Station on May 25, 2019.

Are you sure? This was the venue last year, too. Is there a website? The festivities aren't supposed to be announced until May 1.

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

Do you think any 7900-7979 Orion Vll fleets which doesn’t have VISION are on the hook for retirement?

Those units are scheduled to get VISION installed shortly.

Dan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

Maybe they'll get repainted...😀

Nope, not going to happen. The crews at Harvey and Duncan are busy with the rebuilds of the articulated buses.

Dan

Today I was at Yonge & Queen around 10 am, there were no major problems on the route or abnormal traffic congestion. Going westbound, there was a flexity car just west of Yonge, then another one stopped at Yonge, another one stopped at Victoria St, a CLRV between Victoria and Church then another flexity just west of Church. All had Humber destination signs, none seemed to be short-turning. In-between them all were two 502 buses. And when you looked down Queen, there wasn't another streetcar or bus as far as I could see. Is severe bunching on Queen like this a regular occurrence ? 

Looks like some of the routes’ reliability got worse after the recent service changes

I waited for 50 Burnhamthorpe bus for 30 min at Islington during the afternoon rush today, and just saw all three buses were bunching up together. (Only three buses run on the route during the afternoon rush).. which is brutal.

10 minutes ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

I think a railroad museum should take them 

For parts, maybe. Looks too rusty to restore.

• Sad 2

Wow, looking at those pictures again, the TTC got every last bit of life out of the wheelset on that car.  Those treads look thin!

Ever since these cars got discussed in the other thread yesterday, I was wondering about the lack of explosions over at BlogTO and here at CPTDB and I browsed through the current listings on GCSurplus and it's pretty slim.  This time last year, they were blowing out a ton of test and measurement gear.  There were well over a dozen spectrum analyzers, a bunch of microwave frequency counters, synthesized signal generators, network analyzers, the works.  All the good stuff that makes the "you can't do that electronics" foamers and the vegan latte connoisseurs go bezerko.  If those subway cars had been listed a year ago when all that stuff was showing up on that website for sale, the conniption fits would've been a sight to behold.  I made out like a bandit though and my RF test bench got one hell of an upgrade!

11 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Wow, looking at those pictures again, the TTC got every last bit of life out of the wheelset on that car.  Those treads look thin!

Ever since these cars got discussed in the other thread yesterday, I was wondering about the lack of explosions over at BlogTO and here at CPTDB and I browsed through the current listings on GCSurplus and it's pretty slim.  This time last year, they were blowing out a ton of test and measurement gear.  There were well over a dozen spectrum analyzers, a bunch of microwave frequency counters, synthesized signal generators, network analyzers, the works.  All the good stuff that makes the "you can't do that electronics" foamers and the vegan latte connoisseurs go bezerko.  If those subway cars had been listed a year ago when all that stuff was showing up on that website for sale, the conniption fits would've been a sight to behold.  I made out like a bandit though and my RF test bench got one hell of an upgrade!

Let TTC take the spare parts and seats in case if they wanna preserve a H series set

There seems to be an OG VII at Birchmount Garage (yeah go figure) parked in active area. Is it an ISL OG VII? Oh, and I saw 7808's engine covers open.

Welp: I think they're streetcar shuttles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doggosareamazing said:

There seems to be an OG VII at Birchmount Garage (yeah go figure) parked in active area. Is it an ISL OG VII. Oh, and I saw 7808's engine covers open.

Welp: I think they're streetcar shuttles.

I see it every week. 7808 engine covers stayed open for a few months at least

On April 30, 2019 at 8:18 PM, Basket said:

I see it every week. 7808 engine covers stayed open for a few months at least

I'm hoping for the unlikely but I would be stoked if 7575 made a "temporary" comeback. (Due to Bombardment and the Novas) But then again, she probably needs a CAD AVL. Lol if only drivers were given iPads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doggosareamazing said:

if only drivers were given iPads.

Some MtD buses used to have phone stands before vision came out, therefore drivers would clip on there phone to it amd turn on nextbus. Idk if this still happens on non vision AKA TETRA buses anymore, but it was definataley weird to walk into the bus and see the driver touching his Iphone X 😂

3 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

May 12

Conincide with the next board period.

This is more of generic questions.  I am going to post them here.

Air brakes are powered by running engines.  The engine on the hybrid buses stop running when the bus comes to a stop.  How does the air in the air brake continues to build up when the engine is not running?  Does the air build while the bus is motion?  If yes, how can a driver conduct the air build up in the air brake testing stage?

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Conincide with the next board period.

This is more of generic questions.  I am going to post them here.

Air brakes are powered by running engines.  The engine on the hybrid buses stop running when the bus comes to a stop.  How does the air in the air brake continues to build up when the engine is not running?  Does the air build while the bus is motion?  If yes, how can a driver conduct the air build up in the air brake testing stage?

The obvious answer is because it’s not driven by the engine on the gen 2 hybrids.

A high voltage motor drawing from the traction battery pack  drives the a/c compressor, power steering and air brake compressor independently of whatever the status of the main generator engine. I’ve mentioned this several times in the past as it relates to the power steering defects that grounded the fleet some weeks ago.

• Thanks 3

Just saw 8037 and despite it having VISION it doesn’t have a shark fin. Does anyone know why?

The Victoria Day long weekend is coming up and that's traditionally been the first Sunday of the summer with the PCC on the Harbourfront line in the past.  Will it be running this summer?  I haven't been able to find anything online saying one way or another on it so I was wondering if anybody's hear.