Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have been on that PCC on September 23rd.  That specifically was the breaking point for me for putting up with former garbage. A friend of mine who works for another transit agency and

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of sub

Posted Images

When I was in Prague (which I consider a gold standard for cities doing transit preservation), the cost of entrance to their museum was 50 Crowns ($2.96 CAD) for adults and 30 Crowns ($1.78 CAD) for children, and they seemed to get by fine. And they didn't have to bring in other cities' stuff to make it interesting or appealing to visitors, either.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nfitz said:

$30? That seems high.

The New York Subway (MTA) museum (which I don't recall having any non-NYC artifacts) in Brooklyn seemed busy enough when I was there - and was $10 for an adult, and $5 for a child.

That's New York though, it's much more populated and has a bigger transit grid and a lot of their retired vehicles get used as movie props. 

We'll have to wait and see but the TTC will need non TTC vehicles in the museum to make an attraction. For example, ex YRT, DRT, old GO buses, etc... GTA Buses

20 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

We'll have to wait and see but the TTC will need non TTC vehicles in the museum to make an attraction. For example, ex YRT, DRT, old GO buses, etc... GTA Buses

You’re picking wallpaper patterns on a non existent house. 

Lets get the foundation poured first.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Is anyone seeing any VISION buses tracking anywhere? Seems it’s glitching again. 

Given how many CLRVs are also missing, it doesn't appear to be a Vision issue. There was only about one 506 showing around 10 AM ... looks a little better now ... but still some missing.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, Doggosareamazing said:

Fair enough, let's wait and see.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:04 AM, Bus_Medic said:

You’re picking wallpaper patterns on a non existent house. 

Lets get the foundation poured first.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, Doggosareamazing said:

In order for the TTC museum to be a success, it would have to have a lot of other artifacts from non-TTC agencies. Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI has a lot of Ford engineered stuff there but they branched out with having a lot of historical artifacts such as the Rosa Parks bus. (The inner foamer in me giggled since I visited the Rosa Park's bus) Okay, that just sounds wrong so moving on. A successful museum or in this case, a TTC museum would have to have a lot of crap that is not related to the TTC or transit in order for people to throw 30 bucks to walk around taking selfies in front of an old clunker. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, Doggosareamazing said:

That's New York though, it's much more populated and has a bigger transit grid and a lot of their retired vehicles get used as movie props. 

On 3/21/2019 at 8:01 AM, 7575 said:

$10 adults, $5 for kids, $2.50 for kids 5 and under.

I do not mind a TTC museum, but it may need a few trains from the HCRR and a bus bash similar to the one in New York and the private ones occurred recently (2017 and 2018) without even to pick a fight between tooth and nail.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

There are new decals making their way on to the doors of the new streetcars advising people to pay their fare onboard. That's cheaper than real enforcement... 🙄

I've seen more fare enforcement recently on streetcars - particularly on 506. Aren't they increasing the size of that unit?

Now that they're in the stage of pouring concrete for the stations itself and more than 6 Freedoms have been delivered, it is safe to say Line 5 will use Freedoms instead of the Spirits?

Hypothetically speaking, if the Spirits were to be used, would they have to redesign the station lengths since each unit is 48m VS 60m (30 + 30)? Or would it be better if they order the 59m variant of the Spirits to match the original station design length of Line 5?

4 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Now that they're in the stage of pouring concrete for the stations itself and more than 6 Freedoms have been delivered, it is safe to say Line 5 will use Freedoms instead of the Spirits?

Hypothetically speaking, if the Spirits were to be used, would they have to redesign the station lengths since each unit is 48m VS 60m (30 + 30)? Or would it be better if they order the 59m variant of the Spirits to match the original station design length of Line 5?

Logically, wouldn’t it be easier for Muhammad to go to the mountain than the other way ‘round?

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

I thought it was firm that it would be Flexitiy's since Metrolinx settled out of court with Bombardier, to reduce the order, and increase the purchase price for each Flexity back in 2017.

I thought the maximum platform length for the underground Line 5 stations was about 95 metres or so ... 3 Flexities or 2 Spirits. Though I'd think bigger issue is maintenance facility designed for shorter cars.

Looking into the TTC's 1986 Annual Report and I found this interesting:

To meet fast-growing ridership on several heavily travelled surface routes, the TTC placed an order with Ontario Bus Industries for 90 articulated Orion-Ikarus buses at a cost of approximately $29 million. These 18-m (60-ft) vehicles can carry approximately 50 per cent more passengers than standard 12-m (40-ft) buses and will prove valuable on high-density routes. Thirty of the diesel-powered vehicles are scheduled to be delivered in each of 1987, 1988 and 1989.

The TTC's second major bus order for 1987 delivery was for 70 standard diesel buses. General Motors of Canada will supply 50 of these vehicles; New Flyer Industries of Winnipeg is to provide the remaining 20 buses. The total cost of this equipment

When did the 1987 40ft order added 74 more buses? MCI took over the Classic production in the middle of the #6210-#6293 order. 

As for the New Flyer orders, when did the TTC acquired "70 diesel buses" which later became 157 buses (#6300-#6359, #6420-#6434, #6440-#6521)? How did the TTC manage to have an option to purchase 79 D40s in 1990?

From the beginning, when the Orion III order was bought, what garages were first delivered to?

Can anyone of the following people in this board: @smallspy, @a.dicion, @Xtrazsteve, @Richard, @Rob H, @Robert Lubinski explain?

11 hours ago, BYD said:

Looking into the TTC's 1986 Annual Report and I found this interesting:

When did the 1987 40ft order added 74 more buses? MCI took over the Classic production in the middle of the #6210-#6293 order. 

As for the New Flyer orders, when did the TTC acquired "70 diesel buses" which later became 157 buses (#6300-#6359, #6420-#6434, #6440-#6521)? How did the TTC manage to have an option to purchase 79 D40s in 1990?

From the beginning, when the Orion III order was bought, what garages were first delivered to?

Can anyone of the following people in this board: @smallspy, @a.dicion, @Xtrazsteve, @Richard, @Rob H, @Robert Lubinski explain?

6210-6259 were the last GMC TC40-102N (Classics). 6260-6293 were MCI TC40-102N.

From New Flyer, D40s 6300-6359 (though 60 buses) were the only batch from them for 1987. The D40 6420-6434 & D40 6440-6521 were 1988 & 1989 respectively. 6440 made a brief appearance with OC Transpo as a demonstrator. Given the times, the 1990 D40s were replacement buses for older fishbowls. 

The Orion-Ikarus IIIs were delivered to Arrow Rd, Malvern & Wilson. But the TA60-102N was TTCs original first batch of articulated buses numbered 8500-8511, delivered in 1982 I believe. They only ran in the east from the pics I’ve seen before they were sold to Mississauga Transit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

E6DD01F3-0832-4E04-A41C-4B3E90E89195.thumb.jpeg.5a36d274342929f2fdfb740fe69ad622.jpeg1EDE9D11-C0FF-4CE7-96A7-2F51AD712A44.thumb.jpeg.dbd7bf1c1f06cf5403dffd303134c599.jpeg

Is this one of the Event support buses? I don’t remember them being all white.

The buses aren't all white; that's just a shitty photo.

While they were originally painted in an all-over dark grey colour, they were repainted in the fall to have bands of light grey and white.

44016834590_ab75240f58_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think I already posted this (dont get tooo mad at me) 

but

1031 has 7929s rear and and has a different font than normal

its now tracking at Hillcrest (presumably getting painted)

I have recently discovered that operators have become somewhat lazy and forgot to shift their buses' transmissions to neutral during their layovers, leaving it in drive and relying solely on the parking brake and/or the brake interlock to keep the vehicle stationary:

zNpm4SVdzDtbgLmVt5xySEkiKTrG1_Wmofh-WozbcfSmKu1suCXaQubb_Tq4e-ccQK-WigMKa_1_7yAzchCf0CA-szY3o5ABSfpNlC2SF26WNH6OWK1jgythsM9pFJNlQ57pYiCpYqmNiJ2GvodOmbPg-FTgSrMfDASLE4N-5UnK09Dfc_PV62GXxL5U3vAQkmfaEkyIbdmaGOf1LXMkMAot6LxCTpsnM5vF8juCqxpKRMJv7XW9VnigqyRJ7jWxPF2PiFMYDfjnvhscrmFSZm-TKMtsr0ImefPlAGkRMJMbbPW8Co_rVsfd4v7CAkp__9dgSc6ySTEXea4hGak_rsDcNuu7ZHL6PFu3xoPlJnztYNj94ONLWGRD4zYIZ6CcOVbjp4XCzOCGVYG9115N3-1mPmg-jPF6n3nG_edWQd9ebEPm40Dbmc777YpCoRM8gZ7TpYT9YTlvL9Y2__p_BXrUYOYlfpFEDmeAaw8G1LHa-VmoCS-faBruKgVyeAJhjeAGo_Mlp3pA8hU5qI_ttKZWN2iIrhofQycmGUlZHBzBWIw8Xhc4mlsRrXBpF-kQj0nZ4ouXrSpw3ovxhsgPRuzmf5Xp-s7vDQNn5O5s270E_13Cr4dgrgWHqcNo3ZgiBepxASW4AmjBqA27cXVCS8sGmV63veTf=w507-h899-no

This probably wouldn't be that much of a concern for the electronically-controlled LFS hybrids but with the diesels there is quite the possibility for damage to the transmission while it is in gear and the service brakes not applied.

7 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I have recently discovered that operators have become somewhat lazy and forgot to shift their buses' transmissions to neutral during their layovers, leaving it in drive and relying solely on the parking brake and/or the brake interlock to keep the vehicle stationary:

This probably wouldn't be that much of a concern for the electronically-controlled LFS hybrids but with the diesels there is quite the possibility for damage to the transmission while it is in gear and the service brakes not applied.

And how, pray tell, did you get this photograph? 🤔

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Did this actually make sense in your head before you posted this?

There is absolutely no difference to the transmission whether spring or service brake is applied. 

• Thanks 1