Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

3 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Anyone know the latest update / news for Line 6 construction and Line 2 extension?

I see both are approved but what are they waiting for before putting the shovels in the ground; money? Line 6 has some utility relocations done so far and I'm not sure what started in the Line 2 extension physically.

Sorry for the lack of Info, i'm in kind of a time crunch right now. This website has some PDFs and news about the Line 2 Extension: http://www.scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/index.html

8 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Anyone know the latest update / news for Line 6 construction and Line 2 extension?

I see both are approved but what are they waiting for before putting the shovels in the ground; money? Line 6 has some utility relocations done so far and I'm not sure what started in the Line 2 extension physically.

I assume by Line 6 you mean the Finch West LRT? Construction started last fall with utility relocation. Check out the project page on Metrolinx's website.

The Scarborough Subway Extension has a bunch of funding attached to it from various levels of government (including a dedicated property tax levy), but the detailed design work has not been completed yet. This needs to be done to come up with a final cost (and therefore how much extra funding is needed), before a construction tender can be issued.

• Confused 2

The Ford administration recently released this conceptual drawing:

2BD21844-812F-4406-80BB-360E87BD741F.thumb.jpeg.c3d54f48c4e037789f2a01695564bcf5.jpeg

Obviously in light of their stance on carbon taxation, there have been some slight revisions.

• Haha 6

Line 2 extension is waiting for the design to be completed, to the point they can tender construction.

Line 6 (Finch West) is much further advanced, the whole thing is awareded, and the contractor is already doing preconstruction. About three weeks ago Metrolinx tweeted:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

The Ford administration recently released this conceptual drawing:

2BD21844-812F-4406-80BB-360E87BD741F.thumb.jpeg.c3d54f48c4e037789f2a01695564bcf5.jpeg

Obviously in light of their stance on carbon taxation, there have been some slight revisions.

I love the GWR super wide gauge.  Now if such a thing were to be built here by the Ford administration, I'd happily vote conservative in the next election!

58 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I love the GWR super wide gauge.  Now if such a thing were to be built here by the Ford administration, I'd happily vote conservative in the next election!

Yeah that 7 foot gauge should just accomodate Ford if he's willing to hold his breath and stand sideways.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

Yeah that 7 foot gauge should just accomodate Ford if he's willing to hold his breath and stand sideways.

Hold his breath and forego all that lovely coal smoke sooty goodness?

In all seriousness, London Underground ran a steam train through the subway a bunch of times including the section in Bus Medic's picture back in 2013 for the 150th anniversary of the Metropolitan Line's opening.  The TTC's 100th anniversary is coming up in a couple of years, not that far off, are any plans being made?  The 80th anniversary was good with the parade of streetcars but they didn't do much beyond the commemorative Metropass for the 90th.  Hopefully the 100th will be appropriately celebrated in some way.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I was surprised to see "TORONTO" "THE 6IX" as an actual PR message programmed into the TTC signs.

That sign was requested to be added for the 3411 charter back in December, all the buses get the custom signs from charters. 

16 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

MORE DOGS!

01FAD28A-F1C6-49F8-A367-4B66E22E8D6E.thumb.jpeg.e2ad58f87feeb0bd2b8ac915e07d1569.jpeg

Do you just have a file on your computer filled with memes for every occasion?

8 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I was surprised to see "TORONTO" "THE 6IX" as an actual PR message programmed into the TTC signs.

There's lots of weird signs out there. "Will You Marry Me?" "Just Married" "WELCOME NOVA MEMBERS" are all kinda weird in my opinion.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

There's lots of weird signs out there. "Will You Marry Me?" "Just Married" "WELCOME NOVA MEMBERS" are all kinda weird in my opinion.

Yeah, this is somewhat of a recent phenomenon though, right? Or were they always there and operators are given permission to use them when not in service?

21 hours ago, Orion V said:

Transit Toronto reports Line 2 extension has started with Enbridge relocating gas pipes at STC area.

• Like 2

Why are the Nova Hybrids only operating during peak periods right now? Are they not ready to enter full service yet or something?

10 minutes ago, 7969 said:

Why are the Nova Hybrids only operating during peak periods right now? Are they not ready to enter full service yet or something?

They're entering service in larger numbers lately. 17 out right now, and over 30 were out yesterday in the afternoon rush hour.

11 minutes ago, 7969 said:

Apparently they’re having persistent problems with the flywheel field starting system. I’m being temporarily re assigned to malvern next week while vision is on hold, I’ll find out more then.

2 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Apparently they’re having persistent problems with the flywheel field starting system. I’m being temporarily re assigned to malvern next week while vision is on hold, I’ll find out more then.

The flywheel or flux capacitor?  👀

3 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Damn. Big issues this early is really unfortunate. I hope it gets fixed at some point soon so they can operate normally.

4 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

The flywheel or flux capacitor?  👀

This happens to be a civic engine, but the idea is the same. There’s an array of coils all around the circumference of the flywheel. These can generate current as the permanent magnets on the flywheel itself rotate past them, or if they’re energized in the right sequence, they’ll spin the flywheel up to idle speed almost instantly.

5D319BF0-5BDB-4AF5-82A7-5BDDB9DC7D37.thumb.jpeg.cdda2f7c529673c2f27d964935d33612.jpeg

At least that’s how it’s supposed to work.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

This happens to be a civic engine, but the idea is the same. There’s an array of coils all around the circumference of the flywheel. These can generate current as the permanent magnets on the flywheel itself rotate past them, or if they’re energized in the right sequence, they’ll spin the flywheel up to idle speed almost instantly.

5D319BF0-5BDB-4AF5-82A7-5BDDB9DC7D37.thumb.jpeg.cdda2f7c529673c2f27d964935d33612.jpeg

At least that’s how it’s supposed to work.

Cool that's interesting 

56 minutes ago, 7969 said:

I wouldn't say they're only out during peak periods. They are out during midday and early evenings on weekdays too.