Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Just now, Someguy3071 said:

Driving Novas I keep it up. Driving Orions I leave it open. If doing night bus it's always closed. Lol

Any reason why you keep it open on the Orions during the day? I know it vibrates a lot either way lol...

10 hours ago, smallspy said:

I thought that it had gone through the whole EA process - I did attend the one of the only series of meetings they held - but apparently it was pulled during the Terms of Reference stage.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/kingston-road-transit-improvements

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-5112.pdf

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-4980.pdf

I wonder if anything else still exists of it. I recall that the meeting boards were publicly available online at one point, but I can't seem to find them.

I'm always tempted to try and FOIA the working documents - if they even exist.

I'm not denying there wasn't any TTC comments on this ... I suspect there was! I'm just curious in actually finding a document!

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

Any reason why you keep it open on the Orions during the day? I know it vibrates a lot either way lol...

The cone of silence?

I certainly don't greet or thank the driver when I board when it's closed ... which seems not to be the norm on routes in my neighbourhood - at least in daylight hours.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nfitz said:

The cone of silence?

If that's the case, the TTC will be replacing the TRUMP units with shoe phones next.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I certainly don't greet or thank the driver when I board when it's closed

Same here.  If the driver wants to sit in self imposed exile from the customers, that's fine, I don't want to talk to the hermits either.  There are some personality types that aren't all that well suited to public facing jobs and I probably fall into that category myself.  Is that something the TTC screens for?  I've never applied there for a job so I have no idea what their hiring practices are like at least for operators.  I'm sure it's different for the technical, engineering, and maintenance jobs which would have minimal public interaction.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Same here.  If the driver wants to sit in self imposed exile from the customers, that's fine, I don't want to talk to the hermits either.  There are some personality types that aren't all that well suited to public facing jobs and I probably fall into that category myself.  Is that something the TTC screens for?  I've never applied there for a job so I have no idea what their hiring practices are like at least for operators.  I'm sure it's different for the technical, engineering, and maintenance jobs which would have minimal public interaction.

Where did I put my tiny violin? Tell that to all the operators who've been assaulted or spit on by our wonderful customers. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Where did I put my tiny violin? Tell that to all the operators who've been assaulted or spit on by our wonderful customers. 

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been assaulted on the job several times too.  The worst was when some guy who was flying high barged into my work area and threw a computer monitor at my head and punched one of my co-workers in the face so, no, TTC employees don't have a monopoly on being assaulted by the general public.  As for the violin, have you tried the lost and found at Bay station?

6 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been assaulted on the job several times too.  The worst was when some guy who was flying high barged into my work area and threw a computer monitor at my head and punched one of my co-workers in the face so, no, TTC employees don't have a monopoly on being assaulted by the general public.  As for the violin, have you tried the lost and found at Bay station?

So just because you've been assaulted on your job too that means we shouldn't use equipment that's made for our protection? Not good logic. Btw if an operator is assaulted and files a WSIB claim you better believe that they'll be looking into shield use. If you're not using all PPE claim more then likely will be denied. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

So just because you've been assaulted on your job too that means we shouldn't use equipment that's made for our protection? Not good logic.

Speak for yourself.  I never related the two.

2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Btw if an operator is assaulted and files a WSIB claim you better believe that they'll be looking into shield use. If you're not using all PPE claim more then likely will be denied. 

You know what else happens with WSIB when that takes place?  Have you seen the back of my truck?

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

It's distracting and you get a reflection in it from the closed side. Car passing on the left reflects and sometimes I'm like wtf, I'm in the curb lane how is there a car on the open side? But it's just a reflection. 

I see, interesting. Didn't think of glare.

34 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

You know what else happens with WSIB when that takes place?  Have you seen the back of my truck?

Well no one needs to be assaulted and it's unfortunate that it happens. 

As far as your truck get that shit organized. Lol 

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

Failing to see all the fuss about drivers boxing themselves away. No one has a problem with them being separated from passengers on the subways or Flexities.

I don't see fuss. Someone asked for reasons why it would be left open. Some reasons were given. Certainly can see why some would want it after previous incidents or at times of day when sketchy. Though more often or not it's not used, at least in my neighbourhood, in daytime.

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Hey @Someguy3071 I found your violin lol 🎻

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Um you did relate the two read what you posted "Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been assaulted on the job several times too. So no TTC employees don't have a monopoly on being assaulted by the general public"

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

I don't see fuss. Someone asked for reasons why it would be left open. Some reasons were given. Certainly can see why some would want it after previous incidents or at times of day when sketchy. Though more often or not it's not used, at least in my neighbourhood, in daytime.

I don't either, unfortunately, we live in a progressively violent day in age, if your employer gives you the means to protect yourself *which many employers don't* why wouldn't you use it? It's too bad some people see it as the driver isolating themselves from his or her customers but it is what it is, the driver wants to get home at the end of their shift not end up in the ER, 

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

So what do you mean? you use your truck as a filing system to store your WSIB claim paperwork?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I'm sure your Instagram feed is much, much more accurate. But I'm not on Instagram, so I couldn't tell you how much more accurate.

I don't have Instagram, Maybe I'm being or seem like I'm paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, But I'm just saying these stats probably don't show the most accurate findings and that's by design. 

1 hour ago, NoUse4AName said:

Very nice, how transparent do you think these stats really are?

Are you really that daft?!?

StatsCan is generally regarded as one of the best statistical organizations on the planet. If you get data from StatsCan for whatever project you're working on, you generally don't need to double-check it.

Dan

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Are you really that daft?!?

StatsCan is generally regarded as one of the best statistical organizations on the planet. If you get data from StatsCan for whatever project you're working on, you generally don't need to double-check it.

Dan

I see, Well I guess I should change my name to DaftPunk I suppose