Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

9 hours ago, Rami A. said:

First of all you stole someone's photo without any credit, secondly, that meme isn't even close to funny

If you look closely, there are watermarks in each of the photos. I don't know if the affects it either.

8 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I'm trying to remember who told me this and I'm drawing a blank but for context it was in a conversation about the music business a long time ago and someone said, "Own your own tapes" with respect to the rights to the intellectual property.  It's advice that applies to everything though, not just music, which is why I feel bad about not being able to attribute the quote.  If you put something out on the internet, you're basically casting it into the wind and hoping for the best which is something the people posting photos tacitly accept so if a couple of them end up in memes, well, that's hardly the worst that could happen.

But that's one reason why I'm reluctant to post anything better than a cellphone photo online.  The other dates back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was in high school, and photography was definitely not digital.  I lent several strips of negatives to someone whose photos didn't turn out well so they could have a set of replacement pictures printed.  What ended up happening was a bunch of people got prints and enlargements made from my negs and I only heard about that when they were returned. I couldn't afford to have enlargements made at the time so I was really pissed off that everyone else had enlargements of my pictures except me and the annoying part was nobody had passed around the hat to get a set done for me which would've been cheap since photo labs discount multiple prints off the same frame.  It was about 10 years until I finally got enlargements made.  I've never lent out originals since then.  Giving away extras or duplicate, sure.  But originals stay under my control.  It took getting scorched a few times but I eventually learned.  Foamers are not to be trusted.

Lol I just watched Murdoch Mysteries and the episode was about a heist involving an original painting and 4 duplicates.

Does anyone know what happend to these buses AFTER the video was taken? I remember going to this lot on Norfinch Drive, (I think it's a parking lot for a park) and one classic was there with the STCUM fishbowl. They are now ALL gone. Where are they now?

8 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Does anyone know what happend to these buses AFTER the video was taken? I remember going to this lot on Norfinch Drive, (I think it's a parking lot for a park) and one classic was there with the STCUM fishbowl. They are now ALL gone. Where are they now?

The fishbowl was bought by a private owner. The others were scrapped. They also own 9424, and who knows what there doing with that

• Thanks 1

UC coach service has a lien on the fishbowl, it’s currently being parted out to recoup outstanding invoices last I heard.

9424 can be seen from the northbound lanes of highway 400, and is heavily vandalized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Not an app, but a website - https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=ttc - dig through the settings, can show all the run numbers, and scheduled versus actual times, etc.

33 minutes ago, BusDude said:

Does anyone know of a good android app that tracks TTC buses that also show bus and run numbers?  I know there's some for iphone, but i lost my iphone, and using an android till I get a new iphone and I can't seem to find a good android one.  Thanks

Use the link he stated above and make it a widget on your home page or something and there you go it acts like an app

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BusDude said:

Does anyone know of a good android app that tracks TTC buses that also show bus and run numbers?  I know there's some for iphone, but i lost my iphone, and using an android till I get a new iphone and I can't seem to find a good android one.  Thanks

Forget iPhone. There are Andriod apps that work for this. Now why are you tracking specific runs? It's kinda stalkerish. 

7 hours ago, BusDude said:

Transit Now for Android has an "operator mode" that shows runs and other info. It will prompt you f you want to switch to it while you\re using the app for the first time.

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Forget iPhone. There are Andriod apps that work for this. Now why are you tracking specific runs? It's kinda stalkerish. 

I don't know if it's stalkerish, it kind of lets you know if your regular bus is late or missing from the route, or if there has been some sort of detour. Some apps like TTC Watch on iPhone show it by default.

ttcwatch.png

3 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Tracking runs would let you know where the bus should be after an hour or later in the day. For Transsee, it compares it with the schedule to determine how early/late is the vehicle.

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Transit Now for Android has an "operator mode" that shows runs and other info. It will prompt you f you want to switch to it while you\re using the app for the first time.

I'll have to check that one out.

Seeing the run numbers, tells you there's something missing ... and if on busy streetcar routes, means if you start looking around nearby, you might see it turning somewhere useful. If everything is present, but just late, it's very rare I find something turning into service nearby.

And personally, seeing if the 506 is running late compared to other runs, is a very good indicator if it's going to be short-turned at Coxwell ... and better avoided if there's nothing close behind.

After years riding the same route, the extra data gives you a good idea about how things are going.

Typically Transee is the first thing I check standing at my local stop with an Android. Was quite useful in Manhattan recently too using wifi in subway stations, telling me how long I had to wait for express versus local subway trains!

Though I also use the Nextbus app, Transit app (for GO Buses mostly) and the simple http://totransit.ca/ on my mobile as well as things start going south with my commute.

• Like 1

TransSee showing run numbers also lets you know if that particular run is going to go out of service after the rush hour or not. Which is useful if you're into looking for specific buses.  however, I don't believe this exists outside of TransSee

• Like 1
On 2/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

There's new ads on the TTC in response to unfortunate platform injuries and other unauthorized track delays

Screenshot_2019-02-08-01-43-37.png

They have also posted this online: 

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Safety_and_Security/Stay_off_the_tracks.jsp

Band aid solution.  Until TTC installs platform doors, people will still jump

• Like 1

That’s new...must be a trial.

edit: they’re directional XZA2 Michelins. Goodyear couldn’t provide a suitable tire fast enough, despite their contract.

While the tread is better, they’re really truck tires. The sidewalls are thinner than a transit tire, so they won’t tolerate much curb rub at all. There actually is a transit duty specification with really beefy sidewalls to take the abuse.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

edit: they’re directional XZA2 Michelins. Goodyear couldn’t provide a suitable tire fast enough, despite their contract.

While the tread is better, they’re really truck tires. The sidewalls are thinner than a transit tire, so they won’t tolerate much curb rub at all. There actually is a transit duty specification with really beefy sidewalls to take the abuse.

This coming Tuesday should be a good trial for those tires as far as snow traction. 

53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

What are the chances they might go with a transit tire like this? I rode on this bus and the ride was smooth. 

• Like 1