Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have been on that PCC on September 23rd.  That specifically was the breaking point for me for putting up with former garbage. A friend of mine who works for another transit agency and

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of sub

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Someguy3071 said:

I would push him out the door at the first stop. And that voice couldn't be more annoying. Lol

At least not as annoying as hearing the TR PA system repeat "please stand clear of the doors" through the entire train every time any set of doors are obstructed. If only the PA system could simply broadcast "please do not hold or block the doors" in the affected carriage that would be easier on our ears.

Is it me or lately TTC rarely put artics on 36 for the Finch to Finch West branch? They use to be very common at Finch Stn and now not so much. I even see some on 60 at Finch Stn now when that route isn't suppose to use any artics.

11 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Is it me or lately TTC rarely put artics on 36 for the Finch to Finch West branch? They use to be very common at Finch Stn and now not so much. I even see some on 60 at Finch Stn now when that route isn't suppose to use any artics.

I went by today, and there was pretty low ridership on the local 36. Nowadays you see 939B loosening up the tension

Also, who said that 60 is not allowed to use artics?

31 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I went by today, and there was pretty low ridership on the local 36. Nowadays you see 939B loosening up the tension

...and no express service between Finch West and Alness via Finch Avenue West itself since the 939B uses the busway. There's should be stops between Wilmington (104) and Senlac (98) if they not willingly to launch the 906 FINCH WEST EXPRESS running from Finch Stn. to Humberwood in parallel to the 939B.

6 hours ago, BYD said:

...and no express service between Finch West and Alness via Finch Avenue West itself since the 939B uses the busway. There's should be stops between Wilmington (104) and Senlac (98) if they not willingly to launch the 906 FINCH WEST EXPRESS running from Finch Stn. to Humberwood in parallel to the 939B.

Adding those stops would defeat the whole point of having an express bus. 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Also, who said that 60 is not allowed to use artics?

Oh I see.
So it was the introduction / extension of the 199B / 939B that took artics off that branch.

I thought the official artic routes are 7, 29, 41, 36, 953 and 985.

23 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Artic drive a little different then 40ft buses. Not as bouncy because the joint smooths it out a bit and the engine is like a counterbalance all the way in the back. 

What I often saw at Keele station, when an artic on 41 came around to the loading platform, the C axle would be the only one to bang off the curb corner at the east end of the platform.

20 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

What I often saw at Keele station, when an artic on 41 came around to the loading platform, the C axle would be the only one to bang off the curb corner at the east end of the platform.

The back wheels they track in a little bit so when you turn you have to go slightly wider than in the 40 footer.

10 hours ago, Orion V said:

Ever since the subway extension opened only the 36A Finch West-Humberwood branch is scheduled to use artics. The other branches (36D/F, 36B Finch West-Finch) are scheduled to use 40 footers. Sometimes they throw artics on those branches though and vis versa.

11 hours ago, Orion V said:

The 36B is not scheduled artics. It seems like the service planning department estimated how much ridership this branch would get after the TYSSE opening and scheduled it for 40 ft buses. 

The 60 and 134 are dispatched artics from division level. The 134 only has one run that's scheduled aritcs.

2 hours ago, Orion V said:

Oh I see.
So it was the introduction / extension of the 199B / 939B that took artics off that branch.

I thought the official artic routes are 7, 29, 41, 36, 953 and 985.

29 and 929 both are officially scheduled artics. The 941 has 3 runs out of 7 officially scheduled in the morning as they become 41's after the morning peak hours. They are usually dispatched correctly thus 941 is a semi artic run in the morning.

The 199/939 never gotten more than 3 or 4 runs at the start. I see it more as a trial on how they'll perform on that route.

10 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

At one point, speaking of layovers at the loop, this one kid who was imitating air horn sounds walked up to me and unsolicited started telling me how to use a Presto card.

That'd be Alex Rampaul, the guy who ruined the H4 run. He was spamming the SR on the PCC that day too as well.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Someguy3071 said:

He seems like one of these annoying know it alls 🤦‍♂️

It looks like he not only spams TTC but other local transit agencies too.

Screenshot_20181222-230417.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-230355.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-230208.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-230703.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-230621.jpg

Go to a YouTube channel called "Esteban F." and you'll see an Alex Rampaul parody.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 36B is not scheduled artics. It seems like the service planning department estimated how much ridership this branch would get after the TYSSE opening and scheduled it for 40 ft buses. 

The 60 and 134 are dispatched artics from division level. The 134 only has one run that's scheduled aritcs.

29 and 929 both are officially scheduled artics. The 941 has 3 runs out of 7 officially scheduled in the morning as they become 41's after the morning peak hours. They are usually dispatched correctly thus 941 is a semi artic run in the morning.

The 199/939 never gotten more than 3 or 4 runs at the start. I see it more as a trial on how they'll perform on that route.

Oh yes I had forgotten about 929 and 941 as those are new express routes from their artic localized routes.

It seems there's not enough artics to go around now compared to a few years ago when the artic branches / routes had a regular occurrence of artics on weekdays.

Not enough artics were ordered in the first place. The route restrictions on the artic fleet did more damage than any good because they would have been of better use on routes they were previously run on prior to their early demise. But then again, the ergonomics and a whole bunch of different factors have changed over the years that are above my pay grade to understand 

3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Not enough artics were ordered in the first place. The route restrictions on the artic fleet did more damage than any good because they would have been of better use on routes they were previously run on prior to their early demise. But then again, the ergonomics and a whole bunch of different factors have changed over the years that are above my pay grade to understand 

The use of Artics is really questionable. The soon to be 953 is getting more runs again in PM. It's pretty much at the point that it is a 1:1 replacement for 40 ft Orion V's to LFS artics with the new changes compared to 2014 BUT so much running time will be added to the route in January, the local 53B is actually faster than the 953B on schedule LOL. A truly WTF plan. Just remove the artics from the route, please! 

The only time the 953 would be faster is when their is congestion that causes the local route to bunch up.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, Ed T. said:

If they swing just wide enough they can just miss it it depends on if and where other buses are parked that they hit the curb

On 12/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, Wayside Observer said:

This geezer who's probably old enough to remember when the Toronto Railway Company ditched the horses and anticipated Bob Dylan by going electric needs to give it a rest.

LOL

On 12/22/2018 at 11:23 PM, H4 5600 said:

I looked up his account, this was the first thing that i saw...

Screenshot_20181222-132530_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-132323_Chrome.jpg

Man if that clown got in my way using cash I'd use him as my own personal switch iron.😂

• Haha 5