Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have been on that PCC on September 23rd.  That specifically was the breaking point for me for putting up with former garbage. A friend of mine who works for another transit agency and

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of sub

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

That would come in handy around here but it'd have to be ordered in bulk quantities.  What I got today was a hot air surface mount solder rework station that'll give the "you can't do that complicated electronics" foamers night terrors faster than you can say "CLRV".

Should we tell Chris that the Orion 7 hybrids are nicknamed Diebrids?

Since when?

29 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Don't ruin his childhood. Wait until he's all grown up to drop that bomb on him.

FYI, I'm much older then you think...

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Since when?

Since they were fairly new, actually.  The problems emerged pretty quickly.  The TTC's undertaken some serious and expensive work to try and get them to be reliable including replacing all of the battery packs fairly early on.  That project, the reliability issues in general and the impacts on fleet planning have been documented in numerous commission reports because a number of these expenditures and several fleet planning issues that have arisen as a result needed to be approved at the commission level.  If you feel like digging through the reports on ttc.ca, they're there, but it's reading that'll cure insomnia.

14 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

FYI, I'm much older then you think...

Are we talking about "Just got driver's license" old, "We don't trust anybody over 30" old, or "I want my senior's discount" old? :)

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Novas are too bouncy when you drive them. The front wheels are way farther back and you get a pretty good teeter totter effect in the driver seat. Orions are much better and not bouncy. Nova artics are good too. 

The LFS & the LFSA have the same turning radius, or same distance from front to rear wheel on the 40 foot model as the artic front to centre wheel

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Bus hit a curb, it happens.

Agreed, especially the hybrid buses. Favorite newer buses in the fleet.

Was not a curb.

10 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Wth did that wheel hit?

Pot/sinkhole. True depth was obscured by water. I actually had to torch the indentation to get at the 10th nut with the 1” impact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The LFS & the LFSA have the same turning radius, or same distance from front to rear wheel on the 40 foot model as the artic front to centre wheel

captain-obvious-mens-costume1.jpg

Just think about it. 

12 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Was not a curb.

Pot/sinkhole. True depth was obscured by water.

Must have been moving pretty fast to do that much damage to the wheel. What else was damaged? I've got some potholes before but never hard enough to cause any issues. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Since they were fairly new, actually.  The problems emerged pretty quickly.  The TTC's undertaken some serious and expensive work to try and get them to be reliable including replacing all of the battery packs fairly early on.  That project, the reliability issues in general and the impacts on fleet planning have been documented in numerous commission reports because a number of these expenditures and several fleet planning issues that have arisen as a result needed to be approved at the commission level.  If you feel like digging through the reports on ttc.ca, they're there, but it's reading that'll cure insomnia.

Are we talking about "Just got driver's license" old, "We don't trust anybody over 30" old, or "I want my senior's discount" old? :)

Complete re vamp of the battery tubs, retrofit of an exterior air plenum for the generator, addition of insulation to the underside of the PCS module (computer and IGBT) enclosure to prevent internal condensation....umpteen BAE “intuitive diagnostic system” revisions...re design of the variable geometry turbo actuator (admittedly, that was 100% Cummins).....every hydraulic tank was removed and replaced in a campaign early on....one battery equalizer shorted and caused a near catastrophic fire inside mount Dennis, that led to another replacement campaign...main 12/24 volt cables had an exposed 200 or 300 amp fuse panel at the engine bulkhead, that corroded and was a warranty campaign....switch from firestone to continental brand front air springs...

Ill edit as others spring to mind.

7 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Where did that happen? I like when cis sends a message something like missing manhole cover after whatever street and you're driving late evening or night and can't see anything because those headlights on Orions are terrible. 

Can’t remember to be honest, it was at least 4 years ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Are you sure that's wise?  With the rate at which a lot of people seem to mature around here and all...it could be a very long time and they'll be gone before then.

Ok. We don't need another FOAMER on suicide watch...

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

East end

Nice. I'm in the West end with the TTC.

10 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Yeah

For me as a passenger (this includes VIVA buses) they ride like a tin can and they are just bone shattering. My back hates Novas more than I do. There isn't enough shock space to absorb the bumps sufficiently unlike the Van Hools which for the most part ride like a pillow.

4 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

For me as a passenger (this includes VIVA buses) they ride like a tin can and they are just bone shattering. My back hates Novas more than I do. There isn't enough shock space to absorb the bumps sufficiently unlike the Van Hools which for the most part ride like a pillow.

I'm not a fan of Novas as a passenger either. My favorite are Orion Hybrids to drive and to ride on. The problem with them is that they're old buses and a lot of them rattle like crazy. 

My only problem with the Novas is one that I've encountered only on the Toronto models - everytime the bus takes off it feels like the brakes are released and the throttle applied simultaneously, which jerks you about unpleasantly. When I first rode on Milton's Novas I found they didn't have this, and the bus started rolling as soon as the brakes were released, which is nice. No further complaints from me, as a passenger.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Chris.A said:

That was almost 40 years ago. Different era, times have changed.

Was it?

Did you forget about the countless lawsuits that resulted from it?

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Complete re vamp of the battery tubs, retrofit of an exterior air plenum for the generator, addition of insulation to the underside of the PCS module (computer and IGBT) enclosure to prevent internal condensation....umpteen BAE “intuitive diagnostic system” revisions...re design of the variable geometry turbo actuator (admittedly, that was 100% Cummins).....every hydraulic tank was removed and replaced in a campaign early on....one battery equalizer shorted and caused a near catastrophic fire inside mount Dennis, that led to another replacement campaign...main 12/24 volt cables had an exposed 200 or 300 amp fuse panel at the engine bulkhead, that corroded and was a warranty campaign....switch from firestone to continental brand front air springs...

Ill edit as others spring to mind.

All that said (and more than fair, too)....

Some of the issues were self-imposed by the TTC decisions as well. Poor settings choices neutered the units ability to regenerate properly. And If I recall, didn't the TTC prevent you guys from doing refreshes of the batteries, too?

Dan

Discontinuation of the battery conditioner machines was at the advice of BAE, ironically....was definitely not practiced past 2008. Such is my understanding, I’m not important enough to get my own @TTC email inbox from TSS.

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Oh and btw they most definitely don't have the same turning radius. 

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

05B0CA9C-D29B-4C70-AE57-083364905265.png

Extra 4 inches is c axle off track.

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That's 4 feet difference. We'll 3'10" if you want to be exact. 

My bad guys. Looks are definitely deceiving. I would’ve thought that since the front end of an artic looks almost identical to the general 40’, that they were the exact same. The term I meant to use was wheelbase, but that phrase hadn’t specifically come to mind at the time