Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

9 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

I can only imagine the extra s--- the operators would have to put up with on a daily basis and the flurry of complaints that would follow in such a scenario. This is not going to fly in this city.

Lets face it, there's way too many idiots and those who can't read English in this city AND the TTC doesn't know how to get the message out. I mean, they can just stick a sticker saying press the button to open the door when green LED is flashing with an arrow pointing to it. Then tape posters instructing people that same time on shelters and subway stations. Also they can create announcements on the subway, put ads in daily newspaper, etc. 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have been on that PCC on September 23rd.  That specifically was the breaking point for me for putting up with former garbage. A friend of mine who works for another transit agency and

Cherry on top of today’s events, we lost at technician at Queensway to a heart attack. Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. 😣

About a decade ago, I attended an open house at the Greenwood subway yard, and acquired a set of datasheets for the Camshaft (H1, H2, and H4) Hawkers, Chopper (H5 and H6) Hawkers, and T1 models of sub

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Lets face it, there's way too many idiots and those who can't read English in this city ...

I'm not sure such prejudiced statements are necessary.

Particularly when I haven't seen any signage in any language about this issu!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 7575 said:

Yes. Queensway can't hold hybrids. 

I’ll just state the obvious for anyone late to the conversation, this also goes for birchmount, albeit clearly they have the overhead room somewhere to open the HVAC hatches  on the Novas. Ideally you’d want the technician to be able to stand up completely without being in danger of hitting their heads, so 7’ would be ideal. The mobile scaffolds themselves are about 15’ high, handrails included.

The existing hybrid battery covers open front to back, and stand about 4 1/2 feet high when perpendicular....so you need in the ballpark of 16’ minimum to get them open, floor to rafter...and that’s still minding your head.

The incoming batch of hybrids are still an unknown factor (to me, anyway) and may need less overhead. Total redesign of the ceiling isn’t needed, but they may need to move some stuff around to get a couple of bays compliant. Speaking from experience, facilities for 2 hybrid scaffolds for malvern is sufficient. As I mentioned, these now do double duty to access the MCC climate control units on the Novas as well.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Lets face it, there's way too many idiots and those who can't read English in this city AND the TTC doesn't know how to get the message out. I mean, they can just stick a sticker saying press the button to open the door when green LED is flashing with an arrow pointing to it. Then tape posters instructing people that same time on shelters and subway stations. Also they can create announcements on the subway, put ads in daily newspaper, etc. 

Lesson learned: English makes you smart.

I'll alert the Nobel Committee that there are two candidates of staggering intellect for this years prize. They can both push a button and speak English.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Lesson learned: English makes you smart.

I'll alert the Nobel Committee that there are two candidates of staggering intellect for this years prize. They can both push a button and speak English.

That's not the intention of my comment. What I mean is the posters or stickers are written in English. Those who can't read would have a barrier to learning from them. Of course they could still when they see other people do it.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That's not the intention of my comment. What I mean is the posters or stickers are written in English. Those who can't read would have a barrier to learning from them. Of course they could still when they see other people do it.

"Lets face it, there's way too many idiots and those who can't read English in this city"

Has it occurred to you that not everyone who is from this city speaks English naively? You're a Ford supporter, aren't you?

2 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

You're a Ford supporter, aren't you?

Good job derailing the whole topic.

Like it or not, native English speakers or not, the vast majority of people don't read signs. And furthermore, you simply can't put up signs for each of the thousands if not millions of possible languages someone speaks.

7 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

Good job derailing the whole topic.

Like it or not, native English speakers or not, the vast majority of people don't read signs. And furthermore, you simply can't put up signs for each of the thousands if not millions of possible languages someone speaks.

The argument was that non native English speakers were not smart. 

3 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

The argument was that non native English speakers were not smart. 

I didn't say that, you decided to twist my words and yell Doug Ford then proclaim I'm a Ford support.

I said there are two kinds of people: 1) idiots and 2) those that can't read English. The comprehension of posters and signs will affect these two groups of people.

The TTC also fails to properly educate the public nevertheless about how to properly board a streetcar. 

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The TTC also fails to properly educate the public nevertheless about how to properly board a streetcar. 

Honestly I've never really seen an issue with the buttons, people seem to understand their purpose (at least when I ride it). You'll see most people hacking away at the buttons even when the doors are being controlled by the op directly. 

Do we have an idea when the next TTC board meeting will happen? I am aware of the municipal elections of course and the reduction in councillors, and several of the councillors who were voted out, two names come to mind Mary Fragedakis & Joe Mihevc?

Does the TTC have to have a new board?

48 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Do we have an idea when the next TTC board meeting will happen? I am aware of the municipal elections of course and the reduction in councillors, and several of the councillors who were voted out, two names come to mind Mary Fragedakis & Joe Mihevc?

The new councillors don't take office until December 1, so not until after then.

The TTC website indicates that it is currently scheduled for December 12.

Looking at the list of 7 councillors currently on the board, In addition to Mihevic and Fragedakis - John Campbell and Vincent Crisanti. And also neither Josh Colle (the TTC Chair) nor Glenn De Baeremaeker ran for re-election.

So Denzil Minnan-Wong is the remaining councillor. So there'll be quite a change-over.

Not that is unusual. Even when Miller was re-elected in 2006, the TTC Board was significantly changed, including the re-elected Chair. It's quite usual to change membership on these boards every 4 years.

If anything pressing arises, they can convene a meeting until December 1 with the existing board.

Is it reasonably possible to do the same sort of route analysis that Steve Munro does? I suspect the information is online somewhere, but reducing the data would be difficult.

Alternatively, what I'm really looking for right now is some harder data on how well or poorly the 110 Islington South route does on the PM peak. I almost never ride it at that time, but when I tried it Tuesday evening, it was a real horror show. The platform at Islington was packed when I got there at 6:15. The next bus screens were predicting lots of buses which did not show up, or showed up with Sorry, Not in Service signs. The first 110A/B was a 110B at 6:45. Prior to that, two 110C buses came and pulled out with crush loads.

There should have been a 110B at 6:15, a C at 6:21, an A at 6:27,  a C at 6:33, a B at 6:39, and a C at 6:45. Instead, all we got was two Cs and a B. :o

There have been a few times when I've caught a southbound 110 in PM peak, and I seem to recall that it wasn't nearly running to schedule then, either. It would be good to collect some data on how the route is actually running. Was Tuesday a one-off due to construction and, I don't know, sunny weather, or was it the regular state of affairs?

13 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Is it reasonably possible to do the same sort of route analysis that Steve Munro does? I suspect the information is online somewhere, but reducing the data would be difficult.

Alternatively, what I'm really looking for right now is some harder data on how well or poorly the 110 Islington South route does on the PM peak. I almost never ride it at that time, but when I tried it Tuesday evening, it was a real horror show. The platform at Islington was packed when I got there at 6:15. The next bus screens were predicting lots of buses which did not show up, or showed up with Sorry, Not in Service signs. The first 110A/B was a 110B at 6:45. Prior to that, two 110C buses came and pulled out with crush loads.

There should have been a 110B at 6:15, a C at 6:21, an A at 6:27,  a C at 6:33, a B at 6:39, and a C at 6:45. Instead, all we got was two Cs and a B. :o

There have been a few times when I've caught a southbound 110 in PM peak, and I seem to recall that it wasn't nearly running to schedule then, either. It would be good to collect some data on how the route is actually running. Was Tuesday a one-off due to construction and, I don't know, sunny weather, or was it the regular state of affairs?

No it's a lot of work. 

You need the raw data which can be pulled from nextbus and process the XMLs every minute or convince TTC to give it to you.

Then you need programming skills to figure out how to sort all the data from millions of numbers into something readable.

He has an article about this https://stevemunro.ca/methodology-for-analysis-of-ttcs-vehicle-tracking-data/

9 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

No it's a lot of work. 

You need the raw data which can be pulled from nextbus and process the XMLs every minute or convince TTC to give it to you.

Then you need programming skills to figure out how to sort all the data from millions of numbers into something readable.

He has an article about this https://stevemunro.ca/methodology-for-analysis-of-ttcs-vehicle-tracking-data/

I tried something a bit simpler: just pull predictions for a stop over the evening. So I selected Van Deusen S/B as a proxy for departures from Islington station.

This isn't a very good record of when the buses arrived, because I'd paste the predictions every fifteen or twenty minutes, and as it turns out predictions for anything over ten minutes out tended to become quite different as time went on. Ideally, I have a record of when each bus actually arrived at the stop, and that would be easy enough to do manually if I just continually watched Transsee, but that does seem kind of tedious. I'm trying to think of ways to do this efficiently.

In general, the 110C branch was reasonably reliable, but a couple of buses were getting somewhat late after 6:30 PM.

The 110A and 110B branch buses seemed to fall further and further behind schedule over the course of the evening. Last prediction for a 110A put it 25 minutes late. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately riders who want Horner Ave. orLong Branch loop have to suffer (or take a 110C to Lake Shore). And riders who want Thirtieth, or Horner/Brown's Line, suffer even more because who knows when that particular branch will arrive? The nice alteration of 110C with alternating 110A/110B looks to be a nice theory after 5 PM.

With this multi-branch design, it's hard to short-turn buses, because then an entire branch might not have service for up to an hour. The only way to remedy that would be to short-turn the buses while they were heading up to Islington station, but then how do the riders who are waiting at Islington get home?