Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

17 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

AFAIK, bus to streetcar works and vice versa. Even if it includes a subway trip in between and you don't tap into the subway (fare paid zone).

Bus to subway should work (I haven't tried it).

Bus to bus may work. Depends on the route. Sometimes it doesn't due to various reasons and double charges you. This could include faulty GPS, routes that are interlined, buses that just switch routes, etc. Be careful.

Streetcar to subway obviously work. It's one of the first implemented thing that TTC has be bragging about.

The TTC installation of the Presto units is not tied into the GPS systems.....yet. It relies on a large table of potential transfers to figure out which ones are allowed and which ones are not.

As long as the routes that you are transferring from and to are Presto-enabled, you will not have any issues.

Dan

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

The TTC installation of the Presto units is not tied into the GPS systems.....yet. It relies on a large table of potential transfers to figure out which ones are allowed and which ones are not.

Does it just look at the validity of the current transfer point? Or does it figure out if you are making a reasonable routing given your original tap on and transfers?

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

As long as the routes that you are transferring from and to are Presto-enabled, you will not have any issues.

Dan

If it's not GPS enabled then why is it able to exactly tell me where I tapped (e.g. Steeles Ave West at Yonge Street)?

I was driving in the prince Edward county highway 1 and found this bus as a drive in movie ticket booth. Can anybody tell me were its from? The serial number is bus4.JPG.

bus1.JPG

bus5.JPG

Also, when is the last 73xx bus (d40lf) bus retiring from TTC?

One last thing, I was driving on Lawrence Street and a bus passed by displaying: 501 SHAW. does anyone know what this is?

5 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

I was driving in the prince Edward county highway 1 and found this bus as a drive in movie ticket booth. Can anybody tell me were its from? The serial number is bus4.JPG.

bus1.JPG

bus5.JPG

One last thing, I was driving on Lawrence Street and a bus passed by displaying: 501 SHAW. does anyone know what this is?

Ex Kingston Transit, been there for awhile I believe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jordankcw said:

If it's not GPS enabled then why is it able to exactly tell me where I tapped (e.g. Steeles Ave West at Yonge Street)?

I guess they have finally tied it in. But as far as I know, the TTC isn't enabling the functionality of it (for things like YRT fares and transfers) until sometime next year.

Dan

20 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

I was driving in the prince Edward county highway 1 and found this bus as a drive in movie ticket booth. Can anybody tell me were its from? The serial number is [7763].

bus5.JPG

14 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Ex Kingston Transit, been there for awhile I believe.

Definitely an ex-KT bus, retired in 1999.  It was reportedly sold to the Mustang Drive-In near Picton in Nov. 2001.  The window stickers used at the time were similar to the Quebec "Priorité" stickers, but they were yellow and said "Please Yield".  Many other transit systems in Ontario, including the TTC and the HSR, used similar stickers until they were replaced by the provincially-mandated "Yield/Cédez" stickers in 2004.

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/Kingston/KT9810.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 4:35 PM, 900 Highway 2 said:

I can confirm that the Hillcrest/Duncan tour will take place on the 24th of this month from 9am to 3pm with a shuttle between Bathurst and Hillcrest, Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children, merchandise, and a bbq will be available.

Anywhere to confirm this? Wana bring some friends but I can't find anything official or even where to buy tickets

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Definitely an ex-KT bus, retired in 1999.  It was reportedly sold to the Mustang Drive-In near Picton in Nov. 2001.  The window stickers used at the time were similar to the Quebec "Priorité" stickers, but they were yellow and said "Please Yield".  Many other transit systems in Ontario, including the TTC and the HSR, used similar stickers until they were replaced by the provincially-mandated "Yield/Cédez" stickers in 2004.

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/Kingston/KT9810.JPG

Interesting sidenote, I went out during the winter of 98 or 99 to get a photo of 7763 on my break when I lived in Kingston.  It was a cold afternoon, and I finally caught the little bus at the Kingston Center. Unfortunatly it was so cold, my camera froze and the bus left the terminal for the last time. it was retired that week. Funny thing, on those yellow Please  Yield signs, the drivers hat still had a TTC crest on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eeeaddict said:

Anywhere to confirm this? Wana bring some friends but I can't find anything official or even where to buy tickets

On 9/19/2016 at 5:02 PM, ttc9432 said:

One last thing, I was driving on Lawrence Street and a bus passed by displaying: 501 SHAW.. 

The last D40LF will probably retire some time this month. That bus on Lawrence was probably just a 52 or 54 with the wrong code entered.

3 hours ago, eeeaddict said:

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Events/Harvey_Shop_Open_House.jsp

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Interesting sidenote, I went out during the winter of 98 or 99 to get a photo of 7763 on my break when I lived in Kingston.  It was a cold afternoon, and I finally caught the little bus at the Kingston Center. Unfortunatly it was so cold, my camera froze and the bus left the terminal for the last time. it was retired that week. Funny thing, on those yellow Please  Yield signs, the drivers hat still had a TTC crest on it.

I never actually noticed that! :o

Anyway, to get this back on topic, I'll post a photo I took of the back of 8785 in 2001.  It is interesting to see that the TTC used a narrower sticker on its buses later on, as Transit Toronto has a photo from the 1990s of NFI D40-89 6450 with a wider sticker.

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/TTC/TTC8785b.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone know whether the heating (and in the case of 4041, the A/C) on CLRVs is 600 V like on the PCCs, or does it operate on 24/32 V?

I'm certain for safety's sake, it's reduced down to at least 24vdc.... Plus, what vehicle heating company makes something that works at 600vdc?

all I've seen work on 12 or 24 vdc.

on the PCCs, was it just the resistors supplying the heat that were 600v? Or were the blowers too?

If they were, I'm sure it's all contained under the floor, with only ductwork into the body.

hybrid buses utilize 600v for the tub heater grids, but 24v for the blower fans upon them. Where ever practical, use the lowest voltage.

http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Subway_closures/Line1_blooryonge_osgoode_sep24to25.jsp

It is gonna be absolutely disastrous in the downtown this weekend.. I haven't seen the TTC closing that much section of the subway line within the downtown core.

There is a Jays game this weekend... which may make it even more disastrous especially around Union Station.

I work at the restaurant close to St. Andrew, and we may lose some customers because of the closure as well... 

I was surprised that any subway closures can impact many businesses around the subway stations.

10 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Subway_closures/Line1_blooryonge_osgoode_sep24to25.jsp

It is gonna be absolutely disastrous in the downtown this weekend.. I haven't seen the TTC closing that much section of the subway line within the downtown core.

There is a Jays game this weekend... which may make it even more disastrous especially around Union Station.

I work at the restaurant close to St. Andrew, and we may lose some customers because of the closure as well... 

I was surprised that any subway closures can impact many businesses around the subway stations.

Get over it work needs to be done and to be real any weekend downtown is bad to have it closed. Just have to suck it up.

23 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I'm certain for safety's sake, it's reduced down to at least 24vdc.... Plus, what vehicle heating company makes something that works at 600vdc?

all I've seen work on 12 or 24 vdc.

Makes sense, thanks.

23 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

on the PCCs, was it just the resistors supplying the heat that were 600v? Or were the blowers too?

I actually have no idea. Unless I overlooked something while reading "PCC: The Car That Fought Back", I don't believe that they specified how exactly it was set up. It just referred to the heating, along with the lights and a couple of other functions, as "600-volt auxiliaries".

4 hours ago, raptorjays said:

It pis gonna be absolutely disastrous in the downtown this weekend.. I haven't seen the TTC closing that much section of the subway line within the downtown core.

There were a few weekend closures last year when the entire "U" portion (from St. George to Union to Bloor) was shut down.

Everyone survived the experience.

• Like 1

TTC finally realized that the 52F looping on Royal York and Dixon isn't serving much people and that it would be a lot better to have the 52F serving both ways between Royal York and Scarlett. They should have been done from day 1. This will help all those people (especially workers) at the retirement homes at Westona stop have a much shorter wait. This will restore service eastbound from Royal York back to what it used to be when the 52/58 existed. The looping has been frequently used as a short turn location when the old 52 existed. 52G often short turn here in the evening before an extra bus was added to the 52G branch.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/September_28/Reports/12_52F_Lawrence_West_Routing_Change_to_Braecrest_Avenue.pdf 

Also proposed for looping change is the 66B in the Humber Bay area. It's about time that they stop looping through the Park Lawn loop. Although the loop will probably be retained for the Waterfront West LRT if it ever need it. The looping is actually quite confusing to non-locals.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/September_28/Reports/13_66B_Prince_Edward_Routing_Change_on_Marine_Parade_Drive.pdf

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 4:38 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Get over it work needs to be done and to be real any weekend downtown is bad to have it closed. Just have to suck it up.

The TTC definitely chose a wrong weekend to close the subway..

Jays game, World Cup of Hockey, TFC game, and University fair at the Convention Centre

There's no closure next weekend, where there are nothing going on in the city..

They should have chosen next weekend..

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Jays game, World Cup of Hockey, TFC game, and University fair at the Convention Centre

It was pretty bad, I had to go downtown a bunch of times so tried out a variety of routes, the 510 took forever because of how slow the doors are, the 6 had extreme overcrowding and delay issues, and the 75 was also more crowded and slower than usual. The shuttles were a mess downtown, they weren't going to union and I didn't see any people or obvious signs the street outside union directing people to where the shuttles were. There was also a ton of confused people by bay and front, which lead to the 6 overcrowding and getting delayed. And this wasn't even around the Jay's game, the times I went down. 

Most trains were also leaving bloor - yonge crushloaded around 12:00 pm, which is another fail. They obviously needed a few more trains on that stretch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Nuit Blanche is next weekend. They are expecting a million people to attend and as in past years all night service will be provided for line 1 and 2 on Saturday.

I have a question regarding destination signs.

If I wanted to have a custom message to be displayed on TTC bus destination signs, how would I go about doing that? I'm looking to have the message read "Happy Birthday," followed by the person's name. When I first thought of the idea, I was just thinking of having it displayed on a specific route, the one that this person rides daily, then I started thinking about the entire bus fleet, but that may cost me. So ideally, I'm just looking for a specific route, for one day. I want to do something special and unique. 

Has anyone done something similar?