Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

39 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

It causes too many delays.

You don't think the transit planners that get paid good money by the TTC know to account for delays? 

Maybe they should fire them all and make decisions based on your forum posts. Imagine all the money we'll save! :rolleyes:

I think most of us understand what the reduction in speed is for, but what most of us dont want is for this to be an ongoing months long saga until they get to replacing and repairing what needs to be done (which is i'm assuming the crossover tracks). The Ossington crossover replacement was one of the more painful ones in recent memory since the trains literally crawled  to and from Christie

1 hour ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Currently turning trains back at Bloor and College due to an incident at Wellesley. I guess this means the crossover at College has been tied into the signal system now?

That would be an error. College crossover is not tied to the signal system and still OOS.

On 4/27/2016 at 2:54 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

I notice that all the stops along St Clair Av East from Warden Station eastwards have new stop poles. Not sure if it does west of Warden or on Kingston Rd along the 102. Kingston Rd where the 12 runs doesn't for sure. 

The new stops are along St Clair because they have done the majority of 9 Bellamy. I've been along the northern half of the route in recent weeks and the only stop I've noticed they did not do is southbound McCowan at Eglinton farside. 

In any TTC vehicle in general per garage or carhouse, does a dispatcher assigns a bus to an operator on a route? I've been seeing high floors (GM/Lift) on low floor routes and low floors on high floor routes in the past. Now recently, artic low floors are barely dispatched on 40' low floor routes. 

How long for a bus or streetcar stays on the route until depending on peak period or non-peak periods?

the buses are assigned by the dispatch.  The only exception is when the assigned bus failed the pre-trip inspection.  Mechanics are usually too busy to assign a bus, the driver at that point gets to pick a bus out of a buses that are ready for service.  

As for for how long the bus/streetcar stays out, it depends on the run.  Each bus usually logs about 400-500 KM per day.  

20 hours ago, 21 Brimley said:

How long for a bus or streetcar stays on the route until depending on peak period or non-peak periods?

Some vehicles get assigned the entire day for a run, while others are only out for a few hours. I know a few runs on the 7 and 501 at least that stay out for almost 24 hours.

14 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

the buses are assigned by the dispatch.  The only exception is when the assigned bus failed the pre-trip inspection.  Mechanics are usually too busy to assign a bus, the driver at that point gets to pick a bus out of a buses that are ready for service.  

As for for how long the bus/streetcar stays out, it depends on the run.  Each bus usually logs about 400-500 KM per day.  

Unless of course the sign in assigned techs can rectify the defect on the spot ( wipers, headlights, farebox locks out of sync)

43 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Unless of course the sign in assigned techs can rectify the defect on the spot ( wipers, headlights, farebox locks out of sync)

yes forgot about those cases.  Generally, mechanics are able to fix them on the spot.  From my experience farebox won't flush or burnt out head lights are the most common issues. 

5 hours ago, sammi said:

Some vehicles get assigned the entire day for a run, while others are only out for a few hours. I know a few runs on the 7 and 501 at least that stay out for almost 24 hours.

Buses can run up to 24 hours if they have a full tank.  However, to avoid out of fuel scenario, change off will be provided especially during winter months. 

12 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Buses can run up to 24 hours if they have a full tank.  However, to avoid out of fuel scenario, change off will be provided especially during winter months. 

Operating during the summer is a far bigger concern for running out of fuel than the winter. Air conditioning requires the engine to work harder all of the time, and the higher ambient air temperatures cause the engine to work less efficiently than during the cold.

Dan

23 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes but Eglinton garage is outdoor facility.  Buses are started way earlier before the bus is scheduled  to leave the yard.  Hence the possibility  for running out of fuel. 

The additional amount of fuel used by the engine running harder due to the A/C would probably allow a bus to be idled for 3 days. It's a non-issue.

Dan

I see the Sporting Life 10K is still going down Yonge, borking transit as it goes.

The GoodLife Marathon went down Bayview so while my 504 was diverted along Queen to Parliament and down to King, it wasn't a huge impact and hopefully in 2017 the organizers will take advantage of the opened West Don Lands streets to avoid even that.

If anyone was curious but was not able to come out today (or avoided it)... after reading in that Friday bit in the 24 Hours newspaper that articulated shuttle buses would be running during the subway closure this weekend. From what I observed, definitely about 40-50% of the fleet in service (on the shuttle, of course) around 5:00pm were articulated units. Big difference from the last few closures and really helped the surges that would arise following every train dumping a heavy load of passengers at Bathurst for one when the timing was proper.

I recall the one weekend where we had snow in April and the same stretch was closed, there were none.

1 hour ago, TDE said:

Yes, I recalled 7316 being one of them amongst a litter of about at least  a half dozen of D40LF's. They will likely be out today too.

Yeah, sees like the only one yesterday night.

None of them go out on Sundays. Tracker shows they are all at Queensway.

It's nice to see Arrow and MtD make use of their artics on weekends. Malvern didn't send any.

• Like 1