Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

As the busy York U school season ends in the first week of April, the new 199B service may not see its effectiveness probably until September. It is another story if the purpose of the 199B is mainly for the relief on the Finch West.

They used to cancel the 35E and a 96E but now they become express routes for the local riders. Service has improved and regular rides hop on. The 199B would improve service at Dufferin and Bathurst as there is considerable people who get on the 36 that those points.

When it comes to subway or streetcar shuttles, what are the procedures that occur when determine which division will operate each shuttle and how many buses from each division are allocated to them?

When it comes to subway or streetcar shuttles, what are the procedures that occur when determine which division will operate each shuttle and how many buses from each division are allocated to them?

Not sure for a planned shutdown, but for an emergency shutdown there is no organization, all divisions help out and pull buses from routes or leaving the garage.

also streetcar shuttles aren't a thing

On 3/20/2016 at 7:45 PM, Token Dispenser said:

Not sure for a planned shutdown, but for an emergency shutdown there is no organization, all divisions help out and pull buses from routes or leaving the garage.

also streetcar shuttles aren't a thing

Removed

I don't know if this is reasonable idea, but I think TTC need to change the automated stop announcement.. especially for T1 train.

At Bloor-Yonge station, the new TR train on line 1 says "Bloor-Yonge" station, and it also says change here for line 2

However, the old T1 train on line 2 says "Yonge" station.. and there are no information about transferring to line 1.

I know line 1 platform says Bloor and line 2 says Yonge.. I still think all the stop announcement should be "Bloor-Yonge" in order to minimize confusion..

People who are unfamiliar with the location and subway map often rely on stop announcement.. When they want to go to Bloor-Yonge, and the announcement says "Yonge".. That could cause confusion.

I don't know if this is reasonable idea, but I think TTC need to change the automated stop announcement.. especially for T1 train.

At Bloor-Yonge station, the new TR train on line 1 says "Bloor-Yonge" station, and it also says change here for line 2

However, the old T1 train on line 2 says "Yonge" station.. and there are no information about transferring to line 1.

I know line 1 platform says Bloor and line 2 says Yonge.. I still think all the stop announcement should be "Bloor-Yonge" in order to minimize confusion..

People who are unfamiliar with the location and subway map often rely on stop announcement.. When they want to go to Bloor-Yonge, and the announcement says "Yonge".. That could cause confusion.

And they'll look out the window seeing Yonge only.

Look at New York City, there are numerous stations like this. I wonder how tourists get around. They don't seem to be changing things. I'm actually in favour of this type naming. They should have a Yonge station on Lines 2, 4 and 5. Considering how B-D, Eglinton and Sheppard all run along the street of its name. Reading a map is a skill that people are loosing. That's not the system's fault but people becoming too dependent on technology.

In regards to the 199B and Malvern division:

There won't be any deadheading from Malvern to York U. Runs will just begin earlier (first 199B at 5:22) at STC and end up at York U at 6:40 for the first eastbound 199B trip. Of course the service summary is wrong again.

199B trips will finish up at STC and would either become 199A or deadhead back to the garage.

The 353 actually requires a bus or two to deadhead from Finch Station to York U.

I guess it depends on where the shuttle to occur. The closer you are to the affected area, more buses should be deployed from the closest garage.

Look at New York City, there are numerous stations like this. I wonder how tourists get around.

When I meet friends in NYC, if there's a second part to the street name I usually just say Union Square, Times Square, Herald Square, Grand Central, etc.

If it's a numbered street that's a major one shared amongst many lines (e.g: 86th Street), I usually say 86th Street on the 1, 4/5/6, etc.

I guess it depends on where the shuttle to occur. The closer you are to the affected area, more buses should be deployed from the closest garage.

Usually but the other day I couldn't be any further west and they sent me to Yonge and Bloor....only made it half way before it cleared.

When I meet friends in NYC, if there's a second part to the street name I usually just say Union Square, Times Square, Herald Square, Grand Central, etc.

If it's a numbered street that's a major one shared amongst many lines (e.g: 86th Street), I usually say 86th Street on the 1, 4/5/6, etc.

I think this is easier than metrolinx approach of having different names. Nothing is wrong with having a Keele station on lines 2, 5 and Finch lrt. No one would know Finch west station is on Keele of they haven't known from before or seen it on the map.

I don't think tourist should be confused with bloor and Yonge being separate names.

I think this is easier than metrolinx approach of having different names.

Well, that may work for some, but...

96 St.: Last transfer from the express, so the platform is crowded and the silly questioners are here - "Does this stop at 125 St?" "125 St and where?" "I don't know, they said take the red line to 125 St." "Okay. Get on."

125 St.: You guessed it, didn't you? The silly one wanted 125 St and Lenox (he knew it was supposed to be inside, not way over Manhattan Valley), so I have to withstand a barrage of curses while I close down.

nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_FAQ:_A_Day_in_the_Life_of_a_Transit_Worker#A_Train_Conductor

I don't get how confusion with Bloor-Yonge could happen, although when it comes to having multiple stations of the same name I would prefer an additional indicator such as "Street name east", north, etc. or mentioning the cross street. Not so much a problem now, but if we ever get another "Bloor" or "Yonge" station it would be helpful.

The platform changes are also posted at Wilson Station. TTC typically makes the mistake of not putting westbound for the 186 WB boarding location. Nice to see more of the deserted bus bays being used. The 118/119 will share a bus bay. The 186 gets it's own bay for both EB and WB. The 120 is moved to the lower level.

wilson_platform-1.jpg

wilson_platform-2.jpg

Have anyone ventured to York Mills know where the 186 will go?

Usually but the other day I couldn't be any further west and they sent me to Yonge and Bloor....only made it half way before it cleared.

I thought the original poster wants to know how buses are assigned for the scheduled subway/streetcar shuttles. One thing for sure any buses that are scheduled to go to York Region will not be used as emergency shuttles due to contract agreement with YRT.

In regards to the 199B and Malvern division:

There won't be any deadheading from Malvern to York U. Runs will just begin earlier (first 199B at 5:22) at STC and end up at York U at 6:40 for the first eastbound 199B trip. Of course the service summary is wrong again.

199B trips will finish up at STC and would either become 199A or deadhead back to the garage.

The 353 actually requires a bus or two to deadhead from Finch Station to York U.

Could Arrow Road or Wilson pitch in to do the 199B? Wilson has one route at Scarborough Centre that is the 169? York U and Finch are the same situation.

Could Arrow Road or Wilson pitch in to do the 199B? Wilson has one route at Scarborough Centre that is the 169? York U and Finch are the same situation.

No, it takes more than 2 hours to get a bus from York U to STC and back. By the time Arrow gets a bus on the 199B and back, it would be close to 9am.

The 169 starts really early like 4:45am, the first run goes out. It will never work out to have a 199B start up at the west end with any interlining. The 169 itself is a problem. It's given over half an hour to deadhead to the east end but that's only 3 buses. They aren't the same situation, don't know how you thought they are. The 169 stays entirely in the east end but the 199B is really close to Malvern at STC with a like a 10 min deadheading time.

It doesn't really matter for the 199 as most people will travel on the 199A portion much earlier than west of Yonge. Almost all 199A's will have there change to head over to York U as a 199B at one part of the day.

TTC has been keeping routes specific to their division.

The platform changes are also posted at Wilson Station. TTC typically makes the mistake of not putting westbound for the 186 WB boarding location. Nice to see more of the deserted bus bays being used. The 118/119 will share a bus bay. The 186 gets it's own bay for both EB and WB. The 120 is moved to the lower level.

attachicon.gifwilson_platform-1.jpg

attachicon.gifwilson_platform-2.jpg

Have anyone ventured to York Mills know where the 186 will go?

186 boards in front of the 96 (I think that's where the 96G used to board).

The reassignment at Wilson doesn't make sense, why didn't they put 120 on upper level in the bay just ahead of 118/119 so that all westbound buses are on same level.

186 boards in front of the 96 (I think that's where the 96G used to board).

I think that's the former 96E bus bay. The 96's move to the west side some time ago.

The reassignment at Wilson doesn't make sense, why didn't they put 120 on upper level in the bay just ahead of 118/119 so that all westbound buses are on same level.

I feel that a bus idling at that bus bay would affect all the 29 artics that normally wait near that bus bay and need to turn around to board.

What's the chance of TTC buiyng diesel buses from now on?

Maybe only on the artics?

VERY likely. They said that the hybrids engines were burning out like heck so yeah.

VERY likely. They said that the hybrids engines were burning out like heck so yeah.

Ahem...

Note the date of the post you quoted. And also, the fact that the last time we got hybrids was in 2009.

I think that's the former 96E bus bay. The 96's move to the west side some time ago.

I feel that a bus idling at that bus bay would affect all the 29 artics that normally wait near that bus bay and need to turn around to board.

All wilson buses use same platform in front of 165 at york mills station.

a bus at Calvington 120 platform can blocking the way, if artics or other buses layed over beside the wall. that's why we lay over 120 bus somewhere else mostly 1st floor, it's gonna be good for 120 buses but now 118 ( 96c ) buses going to have same problem as they need to lay over at wilson station, it gonna be a mess for a while when it starts on 27th march till customers know about changes, I picked 165 weston rd next board and won't be part of it :) but I am gonna witness it at wilson and york mills stations.