Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Because when you do a study you exhaust all the options no matter how stupid they are.

As for Midland, well, you don't know what the design criteria and methodology is so let's be patient.

As for Midland, well, you don't know what the design criteria and methodology is so let's be patient.

Unless it's no stops between Kennedy and STC, putting it along Midland would guarantee its failure.

the problem with turning on the a/c, I will get passengers complaining the a/c is too cold. Just to let you all know, its either the a/c on or off. I can't adjust how cold the a/c is going to be. Also with the a/c most of the first generation slow box accelerate extremely slow. I couldn't barely on go the Guildwood parkway ramp at 20 km/hr once.

the actual temperature setting is up to mechanics like me, and even I have a guideline.

Heat:72 Fahrenheit.

A/C: 68 Fahrenheit.

That's it. All the rest is making sure either system functions properly.

And, for the pussification record, the garage does not have a/c.

I love relating this story, back in 1997 I lived in Toronto and my sister had just moved to Richmond Hill. I took the occasion to take a GO Transit GM New Look to see her at York region Terminal. It was one of the hottest days in July, a Friday, rush hour and the a/c was down. It was like a convection oven. I felt so bad for the driver, passengers pleading with him to turn the a/c on and he kept over and over again apologizing to the customers sorry the a/c is down. I kept thinking about the similar buses running for the SCRTD in Los Angeles and wondered if there where similar situations like that back in the 1970's when smog levels were at an all time high.

the actual temperature setting is up to mechanics like me, and even I have a guideline.

Heat:72 Fahrenheit.

A/C: 68 Fahrenheit.

That's it. All the rest is making sure either system functions properly.

And, for the pussification record, the garage does not have a/c.

Do you at least have fans to cool you down then? And surely heat is a must in the garage in winter?

GTA is great cause we have AC on all our buses, new streetcars and subways.

In Montreal, there new subway trains don't have AC. Buses with AC is a dream in most cities in Canada.

In places like Japan or Hong Kong. When everyone turns on there AC, the city would feel like it's hotter outside cause there is so many AC unit producing heat while in operation.

In Hong Kong, they charged more for AC buses. Then all the AC buses retired a few years back. We should be thankful that we don't pay more for AC. They use more fuel, cost more to have the AC installed and maintained. This is why transit is getting more expensive.

GTA is great cause we have AC on all our buses, new streetcars and subways.

In Montreal, there new subway trains don't have AC. Buses with AC is a dream in most cities in Canada.

In places like Japan or Hong Kong. When everyone turns on there AC, the city would feel like it's hotter outside cause there is so many AC unit producing heat while in operation.

In Hong Kong, they charged more for AC buses. Then all the AC buses retired a few years back. We should be thankful that we don't pay more for AC. They use more fuel, cost more to have the AC installed and maintained. This is why transit is getting more expensive.

AC. That's why transit is getting more expensive? No other reason whatsoever? None?

AC. That's why transit is getting more expensive? No other reason whatsoever? None?

I'm not saying it's the only reason.

Regarding night routes. What transfers do they give out. I know 300/320 have there own transfers. What about the other routes like 302, 305, 354?

I've seen similar in other Asian cities. It seemed more of a class barrier than anything else. Like the different classes on commuter trains in England. All about not travelling with the poor people.

Regarding night routes. What transfers do they give out. I know 300/320 have there own transfers. What about the other routes like 302, 305, 354?

regular transfers except they drill a hole near the top and another spot on the transfers. I haven't touch 198 lately, they used Morningside transfers with holes drilled in them of course.

regular transfers except they drill a hole near the top and another spot on the transfers. I haven't touch 198 lately, they used Morningside transfers with holes drilled in them of course.

Thanks. I know the 195 uses Jane with a hole, 196 uses 106 with a hole and I believe it's the same for 199?

190, 191 and 192 have their own transfer.

Since you're at Eglinton, does 224 have it's own?

Thanks. I know the 195 uses Jane with a hole, 196 uses 106 with a hole and I believe it's the same for 199?

190, 191 and 192 have their own transfer.

Since you're at Eglinton, does 224 have it's own?

Pretty sure 199 has its own transfer

I think it's just for protecting wiring that needs to pass under the tracks.

That's exactly what it is. I believe they call them conduit troughs.

Dan

I don't understand why the TTC does this, or why a particular route is just a hole punched in another route's transfer. 50 Burnhamthorpe carries 3100 people daily, while 123 Shorncliffe carries 5400. Yet Shorncliffe is a punch hole in Burnhamthorpe's transfers. I've had an operator argue about why I had a Burnhamthorpe transfer, because he looked closely enough at it to argue about my use, but not closely enough to notice it was from Shorncliffe. (He also assured me that Kipling express ran all day, because "trust me, I'm a driver and I know these things".)

The whole transfer thing goes by how easy for the division to distribute transfers, not ridership.

The 44 and 45 should get separate transfers by ridership. The 129/130/132 shouldn't even be sharing a transfer.

The 46 gets its own even through 44 has a lot more riders (just because it's at Arrow and 44/45 are at Queensway).

The 14 and 126 each has its own when they move to MTD while the 74 is still sharing with 103/33/82.

The 5 has its own but the 61 has to share with 78/115. I'm pretty sure the 61 has more service than the 5.

The 62 Montimer has pretty much low service like the 5 and 61 but it has its own.

Same with the 59 Maple Leaf but that has its own too. 123 Shroncliffe has better service than the 5/61/62/14/126 and it needs to share with 50.

And 139 uses the 39 transfer?

I've only been on 39 and 199. Maybe Torontotransportguy would know.

The whole transfer thing goes by how easy for the division to distribute transfers, not ridership.

The 44 and 45 should get separate transfers by ridership. The 129/130/132 shouldn't even be sharing a transfer.

Saves paper?

I used to know a friend of a friend in elementary school who collected transfers. Does anyone do this (or did)? Presto isn't far away. Maybe I should save a few.

If you want to correct transfers, you should start now. Presto and time based transfers will put an end to the current transfers. Transfers would probably be retained for cash payments but with time based transfers, it might look more like 512's transfers.

They don't save any paper or money for printing the same thing. Given the amount they print, of everything is the same or different for each route, it will cost the same. The reason is they probably print a few months of transfers at the same time. This keeps the cost low as they have different colors every day. Depending on route, each run gets 200-300 transfers. The only cost is handling them. Someone has to sort out transfers for each division and someone had to prepare each batch for the operators to pick up every day.

I take Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) frequently, and just experienced this like a week ago.

I was standing since there were no where to sit.

I don't know if there is a way for T1 train to stop or accelerate smoother.

Few days ago, I hurt my knee because T1 train was stopping so harshly.

I still have bruised knee from last week....

Why T1 train stops and accelerate so harsh? Compared to Toronto Rocket train?

BD line is known as a full power full brake line. Compared to the YUS were its more timed, you already at a reduce speed by the time you get into some stations. I know operators that take pride in their braking, Its up to the operator. Just like buses, if everyone brakes the same way, be it rough, no one will complain, people get use to it. I find the TR especially going downhill into a station will do a slight jerk just as it stops which is avoidable, but some operators don't care. Also OTC and Bombardier said that the TR can self-feature, and changed their mind and said you have to feature. But most people don't complain about the braking of a subway. Not that I heard of anyways.

At the end of the day you can smooth out any train, theres no excuses. And the trains that has the best brakes to the point where your going through the front windows are gone, which were the H4s.

Talking about brakes, my biggest pet peeve is when bus operators open the back doors to stop the bus, which is annoying. Your asking for trouble, an onboard or whatever.