Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

They wait 30 minutes for the next bus?

they do wait at Kennedy - specifically Sunday AM...sometime between say 730 or so untill after 9 a whole pile of buses show up to Kennedy Stn, people walk in and wait for the buses some times(34's show, 86's,116's , 113 and so on). The janitor is the one who unlocks the doors, he usually does only one, and then does escalators etc, then finally opens all glass doors to the bus bays by 915/920 or so. thing si you only usually see two or 3 people sneak in so for a measly 6 or 9bucks, it's a waste to have security show up or anybody for that small kind of dough

Kinda hard to believe that the next three trains at old Mill are in 7 min, 7 min, 8 min. SRT isn't in the program as well

The current system tracks trains using the wayside signals. They'll have to redo the entire tracking when they switch to ATO. The SRT doesn't use the same signal system as subways so they can't just port the system over.

Since the SRT is above ground (GPS works), they can just use nextbus if they really wanted to. I don't see why they can't retrofit the Mk I trains with GPS.

they do wait at Kennedy - specifically Sunday AM...sometime between say 730 or so untill after 9 a whole pile of buses show up to Kennedy Stn, people walk in and wait for the buses some times(34's show, 86's,116's , 113 and so on). The janitor is the one who unlocks the doors, he usually does only one, and then does escalators etc, then finally opens all glass doors to the bus bays by 915/920 or so. thing si you only usually see two or 3 people sneak in so for a measly 6 or 9bucks, it's a waste to have security show up or anybody for that small kind of dough

I'd assume that most people "sneaking" in at 7:30 into Kennedy station on a Sunday morning has a metropass. I'm surprised though that don't simply open the stations for big bus terminals ... surely there are people arriving at the station on the bus, looking to change buses by 8:30 AM on a Sunday.

The problem is on weekends the 37A runs on a 12 minute headway whereas the 37B runs every 20 minutes. Certain trips are going to run close.

They don't even back us up on fare collection anymore. You expect them to support this? Good luck.

The weekend schedule for 37 Islington is very inconsistent..

Sometimes I wait 3 minute, but I wait 16 minute for the other time

The weekend schedule for 37 Islington is very inconsistent..

Sometimes I wait 3 minute, but I wait 16 minute for the other time

Sounds about right.

I'd assume that most people "sneaking" in at 7:30 into Kennedy station on a Sunday morning has a metropass. I'm surprised though that don't simply open the stations for big bus terminals ... surely there are people arriving at the station on the bus, looking to change buses by 8:30 AM on a Sunday.

People are also forced to walk on the roadway from upper to lower level Wilson station Sunday mornings to catch a eastbound 165/96/104 when a 96C or 29 comes.

Couldn't believe how many people inside Kipling station or walking in via roadway today at 5am....

Sounds about right.

People are also forced to walk on the roadway from upper to lower level Wilson station Sunday mornings to catch a eastbound 165/96/104 when a 96C or 29 comes.

Customer Service at it's finest moment...people have to perform events that can trigger an illegal $500 fine just so they can transfer to another bus.

There's quite a lot of people who switch bus bays at Islington by walking to the next one instead of the annoying stairs. People just walk in and out of stations like it's a normal thing. It doesn't matter if they're an old man, young teen girls, homeless or business casual. It's no one cares. In the 90s, operators would honk at them and tell them to get out but those days are gone.

at Kennedy that is a designated Sunday stop outside of the station for people to board. Security issue is one of the reason why TTC doesn't open the subway station until like 15 minutes before the first subway train. What if somebody got assaulted or injuried, there are inadequate staff to help them.

Customer Service at it's finest moment...people have to perform events that can trigger an illegal $500 fine just so they can transfer to another bus.

There's quite a lot of people who switch bus bays at Islington by walking to the next one instead of the annoying stairs. People just walk in and out of stations like it's a normal thing. It doesn't matter if they're an old man, young teen girls, homeless or business casual. It's no one cares. In the 90s, operators would honk at them and tell them to get out but those days are gone.

Yeah, what a crap hole Islington is....how long before someone gets run over by an exiting bus there!

Yeah, what a crap hole Islington is....how long before someone gets run over by an exiting bus there!

in all seriousness, what can be done? You have to assume that people's intelligence levels are just going to go down. I guess you can fence it off better and/or put gates but what else ?

in all seriousness, what can be done? You have to assume that people's intelligence levels are just going to go down. I guess you can fence it off better and/or put gates but what else ?

They were suppose to take the whole terminal apart years ago but that plan with a private developer fell through. Eglinton, Vic Park and Warden were built in the same fashion. Eglinton is closed, VP is redeveloped and Warden remains. Eventually Islington and Warden will have to be renovated to meet accessibility requirements. They can't build an elevator for every bus platform. Once Miway moves out of Islington, TTC can build a new terminal with 3 or 4 bays but that's beyond 2019...

They were suppose to take the whole terminal apart years ago but that plan with a private developer fell through. Eglinton, Vic Park and Warden were built in the same fashion. Eglinton is closed, VP is redeveloped and Warden remains. Eventually Islington and Warden will have to be renovated to meet accessibility requirements. They can't build an elevator for every bus platform. Once Miway moves out of Islington, TTC can build a new terminal with 3 or 4 bays but that's beyond 2019...

So...where will the Miway buses terminate after 2019?

The long planned Kipling terminal?

Yes, here's the info from the MiWay thread:

Meanwhile, I don't think it got posted here, but here's the revised plan for the Kipling Mobility Hub. MiWay is allocated 10 bays while GO Transit gets 4 bays. My one concern with the image on Page 16 is the bus bay immediately at the entrance to the terminal. It would take some tricky maneuvering to get into that bay without doing a full loop around. Leaving would run into more a problem and would definitely require going around the terminal to get out.

Putting the connection above ground rather than underground would allow for a western extension of the subway line. Based on the Assessment on Page 12 I don't get the impression that it would be deep enough for the subway to be threaded between the bus terminal and the walkway.

Yes, here's the info from the MiWay thread:

Putting the connection above ground rather than underground would allow for a western extension of the subway line. Based on the Assessment on Page 12 I don't get the impression that it would be deep enough for the subway to be threaded between the bus terminal and the walkway.

For a TTC discussion, putting the terminal at Kipling and building a new walkway to the GO platform right under the tail tracks effectively kills off any plans for an extension.

The lost of parking space is quite an issue for 905 commuters. It'll drive all the commuters to use Islington but they want to redevelop the Islington parking lot too. There's going to be a tremendous lot of parking spots at both Kipling and Islington which will upset a lot of people. Then there's a million taxis at both stations. They'll block off most of the traffic around the new Kipling. The whole place is going to be a mess with this new terminal as the left turn queue from the kiss and ride to Dundas WB is going to be backup right into the drop-off zone in rush hour. For those who are familiar with Kipling would know people can get off before the Yield sign if an idiot stop in front. With Option 1 on Page12, you can't get off before the left turn (which is going to be a stop sign). The flow of traffic is just horrible.

Noticed they recently put up the triangular discs for TR's from Kennedy to Spadina going westbound. We might be seeing TRs sooner than we imagined.

Not necessarily. If there's some incident that stops trains leaving Greenwood (for example a closure of the Bloor viaduct, trapping all the trains east of Broadview), they'd run a limited service west of the closure (in the example e from Kipling to St. George) using TR trains out of Wilson.

Progress on the Eglinton section of the Mississauga Transitway is reaching the point where there are notices about the impending closure of Commerce Blvd. and MiWay will be rerouting its routes as a consequence:

Commerce Boulevard at Eglinton Avenue April 27 to October 2015 Full Closure Skymark Avenue to Explorer Drive or Matheson Boulevard to Renforth Drive

Steve Munro makes no mention about the 32 or 112 in his May 10 Service Changes post. I noticed it looked like they were creating another bus pad at the Skymark stop by the McDonald's. Not sure who's responsible (or even if it's transit-related). If they don't start using Citation Place as a temporary bus loop to turn vehicles around they'll have to loop around via Matheson back to Explorer.

Progress on the Eglinton section of the Mississauga Transitway is reaching the point where there are notices about the impending closure of Commerce Blvd. and MiWay will be rerouting its routes as a consequence:

Commerce Boulevard at Eglinton Avenue April 27 to October 2015 Full Closure Skymark Avenue to Explorer Drive or Matheson Boulevard to Renforth Drive

Steve Munro makes no mention about the 32 or 112 in his May 10 Service Changes post. I noticed it looked like they were creating another bus pad at the Skymark stop by the McDonald's. Not sure who's responsible (or even if it's transit-related). If they don't start using Citation Place as a temporary bus loop to turn vehicles around they'll have to loop around via Matheson back to Explorer.

Citation Place is being used as Dufferin's construction compound for the Renforth Gateway Terminal, non-starter for a bus loop. I'm pretty sure the court isn't big enough to turn buses around without having to reverse in the first place.

Citation Place is being used as Dufferin's construction compound for the Renforth Gateway Terminal, non-starter for a bus loop. I'm pretty sure the court isn't big enough to turn buses around without having to reverse in the first place.

When MiWay first started using the Skymark Hub to terminate routes, they should have taken over Citation Court rather than have buses go around the blocks (more of a B than an 8). It would have cut down on deadheading mileage. You'd have an argument for eminent domain and have more room without the compound there.

They tried doing that. The operators don't like guarding from the back due to most platforms being on the opposite side from the cab if guarding from the rear.

Grievances were filed IIRC and the union won that battle.

If that's the case why bother putting up triangles. I'll find out about that. I'm not saying your lying or anything.

First time hearing that, I've guarded from the 6th car on a T1, so have others. I've even seen some guarding from the second car on the BD too, but that usually happens on crazy nights, like New Years.

We all know that. We was talking about guarding from the 6th car, and the guarding issues. Which is more to do with the T1s. Not necessarily the disc, but the actual guarding environment.

I understand he T1 set up and being outside the cab. At least with the TR your isolated no matter what side your on. When the TR gets phased in on the BD line, some operators will have no choice but to guard from the 6th car, unless TTC allows operators to guard from the 6th car on TRs and 5th car on T1s when the TR is going through the phase in process. Just like the YUS line. The YUS started the 6th car guarding before the TRs came in. Still years away anyways.