Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

I am just curious as to why the TTC painted over the "S T O P" lettering on its older bus and streetcar stops.. Some along Hullmar are still partially legible as well as the one in front of Kipling station.

Because some motorists complained, thinking it was a regular stop sign.

Global News did a story on this today:

It makes sense. The marker on the wall is an indicator to let the guard know where on the platform they are. Without the marker they would not be aware if the train overshot the platform or not (Especially for the lines where the guard sits in the middle).

By pointing at the marker it forces them to pay attention and not to just open the door when the train comes to a stop regardless of if they are in the right position.

What do you think about this?

I have to say that the TTC should have a door marker on the platform (Like the image under)

I know this could be a challenge for operators, but riders can identify where the door will stop.

BPacPdi.jpg

A subway train is 450 feet long. A platform is 500 feet long. Without ATO/ATC, how do you get a train to stop in the exact same spot every single time when they have a 50 foot margin to work with?

Now, once ATO/ATC begins on the YUS in a couple (or many) years, yes, we can absolutely do this. Hell, they've got similar marks in Montreal.

Dan

Now, once ATO/ATC begins on the YUS in a couple (or many) years, yes, we can absolutely do this. Hell, they've got similar marks in Montreal.

Do they now? I haven't used the Metro much in the last decade, except some east end Green line stations - and I think I saw those marks last summer.

But you never needed them. Because the trains always stopped in the same place every time, it was pretty clear just by looked at the wear marks on the floor, exactly where the doors opened, and everyone stood there. And that was true even in the 1980s when the stations were only a couple of years old (much of my travel back then was on the Orange line, west of Lionel-Groulx).

A subway train is 450 feet long. A platform is 500 feet long. Without ATO/ATC, how do you get a train to stop in the exact same spot every single time when they have a 50 foot margin to work with?

Dan

That will help people to identify where the door's gonna be... and help people to line up at the door marker

That will help people to identify where the door's gonna be... and help people to line up at the door marker

Dan's point was that the trains never stop in the same spot on the platform, making these markers pointless. As long as the trains are manually operated, there will always be some "slack" when trains stop at the platform.

Quick question I hope someone can help me out with. I'm a new(ish) driver, and my CZ license is expiring this year. The renewal slip I received in the mail states there is a written test ($15.25). Can anyone tell me what to expect with the test? Is it regarding air brakes? (I've tried Googling 'CZ License Renewal Written Test', but haven't found anything helpful.) If I go over my TTC Air Brake handbook from my initial training, will that be adequate? Any help will be appreciated.

Quick question I hope someone can help me out with. I'm a new(ish) driver, and my CZ license is expiring this year. The renewal slip I received in the mail states there is a written test ($15.25). Can anyone tell me what to expect with the test? Is it regarding air brakes? (I've tried Googling 'CZ License Renewal Written Test', but haven't found anything helpful.) If I go over my TTC Air Brake handbook from my initial training, will that be adequate? Any help will be appreciated.

You're in the wrong topic thread. Try the TTC Application thread. I'm sure some recent new hires might be able to help you. From what I can remember, the TTC Air brake handbook is more than adequate. Naturally, the rest of the test will based on the Official Bus Handbook.

Do you guys know if there are any changes on the buses already rebuilt...

Are there any major changes on the vehicle such as engine, interior, and so on?

No major changes. In some cases, it's not even clear that the interiors are having much of anything done to them.

Dan

I was surprised to see a bus heading eastbound on Eglinton at Laird signed "13 Neville Park to Victoria Park Stn". Guess the driver was having a little fun. It was indeed a temporary route in 2005, but I wonder why it's still programmed into the destos ten years later.

Also, does anyone know when the TTC will start adding the stop number stickers at bus stops? Every bus stop now has a number, just no sticker. Is this delay somehow a result of the signage pilot project on Wellesley? The TTC webesite says all bus stops should have had them in 2011.

Jan_Texting_.jpg

I was surprised to see a bus heading eastbound on Eglinton at Laird signed "13 Neville Park to Victoria Park Stn". Guess the driver was having a little fun. It was indeed a temporary route in 2005, but I wonder why it's still programmed into the destos ten years later.

TTC is in the habit of not erasing signs when they update the programming; they only overwrite anything that is being replaced. So there's a lot of other routes that haven't operated in several years on the signs, such as Sheppard East express branches that haven't existed since the subway opened; these won't get overwritten unless their branch letters need to be reused.

TTC is in the habit of not erasing signs when they update the programming; they only overwrite anything that is being replaced. So there's a lot of other routes that haven't operated in several years on the signs, such as Sheppard East express branches that haven't existed since the subway opened; these won't get overwritten unless their branch letters need to be reused.

Thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression that all the routes for the appropriate division where overwritten when an update was required. Even then that leaves the possibility of oddball routes kicking around, e.g. routes formerly served by that division, buses being transfered between divisions, or temporary routes resulting from construction.

The hand holds were done in house, but that was long before the rebuild. That was done largely for hygienic reasons.

There's an entire maintenance section devoted to vehicle modifications, that I was a member of for 7years.

The hand holds were done in house, but that was long before the rebuild. That was done largely for hygienic reasons.

There's an entire maintenance section devoted to vehicle modifications, that I was a member of for 7years.

So how often do they clean the poles/holders/stuff that passenger touches? And how do they clean them?

Although that probably doesn't matter cause most germs would probably die off if left for days. New germs would be left by other passenger within recent hours.

So how often do they clean the poles/holders/stuff that passenger touches? And how do they clean them?

Although that probably doesn't matter cause most germs would probably die off if left for days. New germs would be left by other passenger within recent hours.

Ever notice how some riders obsessively chew their nails and then grab the poles, then chew some more, then grab the poles, then....

Yeah. I just try to tune it out. There's probably no part of the poles/handholds that are sanitary. I just make sure I wash my hands well after getting off the Queen car....