Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Does anyone know what route number the new street car to Cherry Street will have? And where the street cars would originate from? Would they turn the King cars onto Cherry Street instead of Parliament now?

http://en.wikipedia...._streetcar_line

Going from memory it will be 519 running from Roncesvalles loop. I Have took back at meeting minutes to see if the info is there, but don't have the time and not sure where they are.

Most likely a short turn car will be used here since service was to be every 3rd car for Cherry St until demand is there for more service.

There was talked that a car would operated from point to point using Cherry St in both direction.

TTC has not worked the details out yet since the line will not see service until 2016.

If they haft finished the Cherry loop to the point of asphalt over it during the games, the line would see 16 months of service before being closed down. Once the games were over, you finish off the loop as plan and put it back in service. You build up a rider based now, not after the games.

I was in that area yesterday, i dont think it's going to take 2 more years to complete, the concrete has already been poured.

The track on Cherry will be ready soon. But I don't think there's any plan to join it to King at Cherry until after the 2015 games.

Probably too early to speculate on route numbers are actually used. I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply signed as a 504 Cherry and 504 Roncesvalles. Or knowing TTC a 504 Parliament because that's what's on the roll signs ... :)

The track on Cherry will be ready soon. But I don't think there's any plan to join it to King at Cherry until after the 2015 games.

Probably too early to speculate on route numbers are actually used. I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply signed as a 504 Cherry and 504 Roncesvalles. Or knowing TTC a 504 Parliament because that's what's on the roll signs ... :)

The connection at King is supposed to happen in November, but may get move to 2014. It also depends when the new road is finished been built to King.

The loop will not be built until the fall of 2015 with service starting early 2016.

TTC point man Bill was using various numbers for the various new lines and wasn't sure which the final number would be until close to the time with 519 having a leg up for it. This also apply to the various options how the line would be service with the Roncesvalle Loop as a started.

514 is supposed to be tag for the Bathurst line using Bremmer if it every get built.

I wouldn't worry about roll signs since the new cars will be still coming into service come 2016 and the CLRV will be on their way out. ALRV will be gone by 2015.

When I saw the line a few weeks ago, it was missing the top coat between Eastern and Mills and should be pour now.

Roncesvalles loop? Are you talking about Sunnyside loop?

No.

Using the yard lead off Queen St and returning by Roncesvalles lead where many short turn take place for the 504 and 501. Going around McDonald and the hotel.

That was proposed by TTC in 2009 and may change come 2015.

No.

Using the yard lead off Queen St and returning by Roncesvalles lead where many short turn take place for the 504 and 501. Going around McDonald and the hotel.

That was proposed by TTC in 2009 and may change come 2015.

Oh ok, that might not be a very good idea unless the Leslie carhouse takes a significant burden off of Roncy.

Oh ok, that might not be a very good idea unless the Leslie carhouse takes a significant burden off of Roncy.

They currently do short turns through the yard quite a bit because of the issues with making the left out of Sunnyside, as nfitz posted. Roncy is busy but the tracks that form the loop don't pass through the majority of the yard as it wraps around the division only.

They currently do short turns through the yard quite a bit because of the issues with making the left out of Sunnyside, as nfitz posted. Roncy is busy but the tracks that form the loop don't pass through the majority of the yard as it wraps around the division only.

It still gets congested because all yard traffic must pass on that wrap-around track, if a car (especially one longer than a C) sits for time in that loop it can tie up the whole place.

Looks like the loop is more of parking lot for employees these days.

The Sunnyside loop is used nearly 100% of the time (for 501 Queen cars) when short turning for Roncesvalles. You never know what is happening in the yard through the day, even during peak time you may get stuck behind maintenance personal moving around a streetcar that is being worked on or a coupled set of cars that have come in off a line etc. As for the traffic during peak, due to the light cycle of Roncesvalles and Queen there is usually a break in traffic that you can take advantage of.

I was in High Park today and observed TTC stop signs mounted on various poles... did they ever have bus service within the park grounds? I cannot recall reading anything to suggest they did.

I was in High Park today and observed TTC stop signs mounted on various poles... did they ever have bus service within the park grounds? I cannot recall reading anything to suggest they did.

An extension of the 30 Lambton (30B) extends south of High Park Station and loops through the park during the summer, which means it should be ending tomorrow.

An extension of the 30 Lambton (30B) extends south of High Park Station and loops through the park during the summer, which means it should be ending tomorrow.

D'oh! Completely forgot about the 30B. Thanks!

These slow orders on the Yonge line seem to be becoming more common and more permanent. And the TTC could care less.

York Mills South (Both directions), Davisville Southbound north and south of the station, and now North of Bloor station. I understand Davisville there is nothing they can do about, and York Mills south is some crazy engineering problem, but it really adds up. And they dont seem to be doing anything to want to resolve the issue. No communication.

Out of curiosity, how are the wheelchair lifts on the RTSes operated? Are they controlled from the dashboard (seems inefficient, given that the driver would have to run around a bunch of times and maybe wade his way through a crowded bus) or is there some sort of control panel located nearby, to minimize delays?

There is controls at the rear door. The driver has to apply the maxi, and put it in neutral, then move to the back, where the contrals are. I forget if there is a button to activate the rear controls at the front. I know some transit systems you have to press something at the front, then go to the back to control the rear lift.

I heard that the TTC pushes the broken down streetcar/subway train out with another one.

I have never had a streetcar breakdown, but how do they manage to push the broken down streetcar all the way to the streetcar yard since I find it would be a bit difficult pushing an ALRV on the 501 Queen depending on where it breaks considering the equipment is pretty old and breaking down a lot more and the amount of traffic that it has to deal with. Hopefully it won't be long until the TTC can roll out their new streetcar fleet which will take a long time to phase in.

How do they manage to bring a subway train that has "broken down/mechanical problems" since it would be pretty hard to navigate with the right speed to ensure it gets behind the "problem train" and be able to push it out all the way to the subway train yard.

...how do they manage to push the broken down streetcar all the way to the streetcar yard since I find it would be a bit difficult pushing an ALRV on the 501 Queen depending on where it breaks considering the equipment is pretty old and breaking down a lot more and the amount of traffic that it has to deal with....

We just do it. Age is of no concern the vehicles are still fully capable of pushing others around. It's a tedious process, but ya gotta do what you gotta do. I don't know what the stats are on breakdowns, but I don't think they are as common as you would think considering the age of the vehicles.

I heard that the TTC pushes the broken down streetcar/subway train out with another one.

I have never had a streetcar breakdown, but how do they manage to push the broken down streetcar all the way to the streetcar yard since I find it would be a bit difficult pushing an ALRV on the 501 Queen depending on where it breaks considering the equipment is pretty old and breaking down a lot more and the amount of traffic that it has to deal with. Hopefully it won't be long until the TTC can roll out their new streetcar fleet which will take a long time to phase in.

How do they manage to bring a subway train that has "broken down/mechanical problems" since it would be pretty hard to navigate with the right speed to ensure it gets behind the "problem train" and be able to push it out all the way to the subway train yard.

TTC connects a coupler between 2 streetcars. Not the best picture to show it but I took this photo this past sunday. There is also a service truck behind the 2 streetcars. Based on the huge bumper on the front of the truck, the truck should have the ability to shun the streetcar like the service vehicle shun buses in the event of an emergency.

broke.jpg.

I think the rate of breakdown for streetcars and subways are way less.

Edit: I found 2 more photos

new.jpg

227613_520798674841_5246_n.jpg