Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

53 Steeles East and 95 York Mills – Minor Route Changes

Pending approval at next weeks meeting, 53 and 95 will be reconfigured for a trial period starting in the September board period. On Steeles East, 53 will be eliminated and 53B/E will be changed to use the new 353 loop clockwise via Tapscott-Passmore-Markham Rd. This will allow 53B/E to provide two-way service on Steeles between McCowan and Markham Rd. On York Mills, 95A will be eliminated with a new 95 peak period branch to operate between York Mills Station and Ellesmere Station, looping under the overpass.

The 53B/E loop will also allow for a better connection to 102 at Passmore & Markham, although it still would be better if they extend 102 up to Steeles as well using the new 53B/E loop. As for the new 95 branch, I'm looking forward to seeing if it effects ridership levels at Ellesmere Station.

Edited by wil9402

You must mean elimination of the original 53 branch and not 53A...if 53A was removed a lot of people would be quite angry.

Whoops, my bad. I always think 53A is the Pharmacy branch.

EB 53 bus to Pharmacy may be less important but WB 53 local service towards Finch station is rather significant when the 53E/F begin running express west of Vic Park.

95A extension to Ellesmere Stn is a good idea, I wonder if those runs will remain separate from the other branches and continue to be provided by Wilson Division.

The 53 should have never been routed along Elson, the elimination of the Elson mileage is long over due, especially since they built up the Steeles/Markham area with plazas.

The D40-90 had frame problems. I think thats why they had the extra bar in the window. And a white coloured rim, different size from the rest of the fleet to handle the weight.

Orion Vs had rust issues, so they had to go.

Fishes went out because they are not wheelchair accessible, no A/C, not LF. And the electrical components and other areas of the bus weren't worth fixing.= age.

They ran out of parts for the GMS and then starting manufacturing their own parts for them until they ran out of certain materials.

all of the above.

The same way the operators and supervisors get there. You should have stuck around to watch him get on the train, then you would have your answer.

There is also a stairway from the west end of the centre platform up to the west concourse level. It is protected by a locked door at the concourse level.

I also noticed TTC staff getting there by simply walking to the east end of the westbound platform (the one not used in regular service, except for the occasional train change-offs) and then simply crossing the westbound track.

Also speaking of the unused westbound platform at Sheppard-Yonge, there was a service cancellation on the Sheppard line yesterday (Friday) evening. There was a 4-car train sitting on that platform, and only 3 trains in regular service. Given how lightly the Sheppard line is used, it probably made no difference as far as passengers were concerned.

Is there any place that summarizes the number of T1 cars delivered each year between 1998 and 2001? Fleet numbers would be a bonus.

I know the first six cars were delivered in 1995 (5000 - 5005). According to a T1 presentation flyer available online, this was followed by 18 cars in 1996 and 62 cars in 1997, for a total of 86 cars on property at the end of 1997.

Breaking: Some one post a picture on Facebook, seems that some TTC Orion II Community bus have a new home, in Quebec City for Autobus Laval (probably Airport Shuttle !)

More likely as parts for the ones they already have. I dunno, maybe it's the other way around. Depends on which is in better shape.

Heads up : the weekend of August 10 and 11th there is no subway service in the downtown core. All trains on the University-Spadina line will turn back at St George Stn to Downsview Stn, and all trains on the Yonge line will turn back at Yonge-Bloor Stn to Finch.

This will be interesting to see, with all the people downtown, and events happening at the ACC and Rogers Centre.

What are peoples thoughts of this?

Short term pain, worth it in the end.

Gonna make my week more interesting.

Oh, was there ever an 85e to rouge hill? That was in the latest update I had to upload.

More likely as parts for the ones they already have. I dunno, maybe it's the other way around. Depends on which is in better shape.

Not for parts, they had only 1 Orion II and it's rented from Skyport Tremblant for YQB temporary parking shuttle

If the other ones are in better condition... Like I said. Also depends on the "standards" of the shop they get inspected in.

If the other ones are in better condition... Like I said. Also depends on the "standards" of the shop they get inspected in.

When I was down on the 31st of Jan and asked to photograph them before they left the mechanic had told me that 9701 was already sold just waiting to be picked up. So maybe it could be that one

When I was down on the 31st of Jan and asked to photograph them before they left the mechanic had told me that 9701 was already sold just waiting to be picked up. So maybe it could be that one

The two vehicules are 9704 and 9705, up to six vehicules could join the fleet.

Short term pain, worth it in the end.

Gonna make my week more interesting.

Oh, was there ever an 85e to rouge hill? That was in the latest update I had to upload.

years ago...85E ran Exp to Rouge Hill from May 8/1994 until Shep Sub I think (both linen rollsign and electronic)

don't know if it still existed in 2000's or not

Evidently it does again, or it's still in there.

First I've seen it. young 32 year old whippersnapper like me.

Evidently it does again, or it's still in there.

First I've seen it. young 32 year old whippersnapper like me.

good grief man, you are 1/2 my age

I actually rode the very 1st Sheppard 84 bus in March 1963!

It ran from Wilson Hts and looped by the old Weill & Cullen head store between Blue Ridge and Old Leslie

We were lucky, the Sheppard bus ran every 1/2 hour in rush hours, every hour midday

I got most of this stuff cause my uncle worked as a driver between 1948 and 1977 or so.

He drove a lot of 14 Chaplin, 59 North Yonge and 36 Finch out of Eglinton. Mid-60's he moved to Birchmount and drove 38 Gerrard bus, 21 Danforth mainly.

I think he switched back to Eglinton when the BD sub opened in 66

I got all sorts of paper, maps, orders, rollsigns etc from him

Lucky you. 85E is no doubt needed, especially during rush hour. Hopefully we will see it this fall.

You have any pictures of inside Eglinton garage back in the 1960s or 1970s?

years ago...85E ran Exp to Rouge Hill from May 8/1994 until Shep Sub I think (both linen rollsign and electronic)

don't know if it still existed in 2000's or not

Was Route 13 Rouge Hill still in operation when 85E was running?

Lucky you. 85E is no doubt needed, especially during rush hour. Hopefully we will see it this fall.

You have any pictures of inside Eglinton garage back in the 1960s or 1970s?

Was Route 13 Rouge Hill still in operation when 85E was running?

no, the 13 route was discontinued the previous day

before this 85 express buses ran to Meadowvale and Malvern Garage(McCowan) only

I think originally at least 85E only ran express from Yonge Street to VP or Warden and then local to the GO station?

I'll try and dig up some photos.

Usually Eg Garage photos are crap as garage interior was always black

(unlike today when safety demands good lighting)

There are some shots around taken form the bus platforms but this only shows the line-ups and a bit of trolleys to the east

The actual garage shots, usually to the south and west by Berwick/Duplex where the fuel island and hoists were are pretty dim.

I'll try and dig though

Two questions that occured to me while reading Transit Toronto...

1. How heavy were the 91 and 96 Orion Vs? (diesel versions) Frankly Im surprised I couldnt find this info somewhere on the site.

2. The page on the Flexity streetcars says that the Tatra T6A5 was a potential contender to join the fleet. Did the TTC seriously consider this (this would have had to have been before 1998, when Tatra went out of business)? As you can see by my user name, I would not mind such cars running our streets at all, lol.

Two questions that occured to me while reading Transit Toronto...

1. How heavy were the 91 and 96 Orion Vs? (diesel versions) Frankly Im surprised I couldnt find this info somewhere on the site.

2. The page on the Flexity streetcars says that the Tatra T6A5 was a potential contender to join the fleet. Did the TTC seriously consider this (this would have had to have been before 1998, when Tatra went out of business)? As you can see by my user name, I would not mind such cars running our streets at all, lol.

from www.transithub.net

Tare Weight- 29,078 lbs for 1996 Orion V diesel.

Tare Weight- 26,350 lbs for 1991 Orion V diesel

Hopes this help.

from www.transithub.net

Tare Weight- 29,078 lbs for 1996 Orion V diesel.

Tare Weight- 26,350 lbs for 1991 Orion V diesel

Hopes this help.

That extra weight is mostly the lift and it's components.

I miss the '91V's.