Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Have the restrictions prohibiting the 9400s from operating on weekends been lifted? TransSee indicates a great amount in service today, as per last Saturday.

The 94's weren't required for weekend service so the decision was made by the garage to not dispatch them on weekends and holidays. I guess something has changed and they have decided to start dispatching a few on weekends. I doubt this will last.

The reason many of them were in service yesterday is because of the shooting at Yorkdale on Saturday. Toronto Police requested the hard drives be pulled for all buses that could have possibly transported the suspects to or from Yorkdale before or after the shooting. This meant that a large number of buses had to be held back from entering service before their drives were pulled. With about 30 buses on route 29 at any given time, that means 40 or even 45 buses from Wilson alone could have been required to have their drives to be read Sunday morning, forcing many other buses to be put into service throughout the day.

In previous weekends, I don't think people realize just how many buses are required for subway shuttles and the impact this can have at every division. This is obviously the reason that older buses were seen in service across the entire network over weekends with subway closures.

If it were permitted to report everything you saw using such a service and everyone started doing it here there would be no element of chance to it, and it takes away from the "fun" that this thread was undoubtedly created for, and that is to report on buses, or other vehicles that are considered special to see in certain places, routes etc. that you have witnessed with your own two (or one) eye(s)! Anyone can log on and see what TransSee shows, but not everyone is out on the street looking around and "HEY what's THAT bus doing here!!" then report on it.

I thought this thread was created to discuss Miscellaneous TTC issues and ask questions.

I'm not sure why anyone would report everything here one saw on Nextbus ... or on the street. Surely doing either wouldn't fit in this thread.

Is the B-D closure next Saturday for the Jane crossover or is it for some other work? The station notices and the website notice don't provide any reasons for the closure.

Why would they be working on the Jane crossover as trains would be turning back at Jane during that closure.

I thought this thread was created to discuss Miscellaneous TTC issues and ask questions.

I'm not sure why anyone would report everything here one saw on Nextbus ... or on the street. Surely doing either wouldn't fit in this thread.

Hmmm... See what happens when one doesn't read the tittle of the thread. I was thinking that with the discussion about TransSee that this was the special sightings thread. So apply what I said to that thread if there is any question about why not to post a sighting to that thread from TransSee or NextBus.

A while back, someone had posted a link to a site that had a pic of an old GM ttc bus, and there was an area where you can type a message, and it would display that on the buses destination sign. Does anyone have the link to that site? or know of another/newer one?

Can you buy a day pass at the airport?

If you wanted a day pass, you'll have to pay for a single fare to take you to Kipling station. From there, go to the collector's booth one level below the subway platform and purchase one there. Theoretically you could also take the bus to Lawrence West station and do it there as well, but that route takes much longer.

Not the same system, but OCTranspo also uses the same Precise Park-Link Machines at O-Train stations and as of last fall they sell day passes.

Which presumably aren't cardboard scratch-and-win TTC ones.

Where do you stop? 7-day passes? Monthly passes? The TTC machine was a stop-gap measure, and it serves it's purpose. Presumably it will be replaced with one of the new fare vending machines that they are developing for the streetcar stops when they are ready.

:lol: I'm surprised nobody has come up with a better design yet... It's been 10+ years

It works. It let's you keep a stack at home, for when you need them. What DO other transit agencies do? As far as I know in Montreal, you can't buy in advance, and you have to get yourself to a Metro station to get one, on the day you need it ... which isn't much good if unless you live by a Metro station.

I wouldn't be surprised if these stay pretty much unchanged when they get rid of tickets and tokens post-Presto.

Thanks for the answers, although it isn't what I wanted to hear haha. I don't have to pay for the subway do I? I love Toronto. I hate TTC's fare structure.

All of the TTC's vehicles (subway, streetcar, bus) are covered under one fare except for the 14x series Premium Express buses (which are running from downtown and you're unlikely to find, let alone ride, one).

It's a pretty simple fare structure, the only problem is transferring; it's not time-based, and you have to ride in the most 'direct' route from your origin to your destination. That being said, if you're fanning or something, stick to the subway as for the majority of stations on the network you don't need to show a transfer when you connect to/from a surface route at these locations. Look at the subway map, any station marked with a red T means you need to show a transfer when connecting.

I was riding on the subway the other day and it was crush load. It was a T1 train I think (the ones with the red doors) and I was holding onto the door for support. When the train was about to stop at the station though I realized that I had made the door open slightly before they were supposed to. Is this normal? I remember my friend telling me about a similar incident when he leaned on the doors but I thought he was exagerating. I know that there is signage but isnt it dangerous to have doors that can be opened so easily?

I was riding on the subway the other day and it was crush load. It was a T1 train I think (the ones with the red doors) and I was holding onto the door for support. When the train was about to stop at the station though I realized that I had made the door open slightly before they were supposed to. Is this normal? I remember my friend telling me about a similar incident when he leaned on the doors but I thought he was exagerating. I know that there is signage but isnt it dangerous to have doors that can be opened so easily?

They can't be opened all the way. but as I think the RT doors can. I remember riding that and the doors pulled open pretty far.

Yes, it is part of the safety feature. If you yank it any wider, the emergency brake will kick in forcing the train come to a sudden stop.