Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

You could get lucky and see one of the PCCs on a charter run of some sort though, but I certainly can't guarantee that.

You'd have to be very lucky indeed. I live not far from Russell yard, take the streetcar everyday, and I haven't seen a PCC in use since the Beaches Easter parade 4 years ago (I'm sure it's still out for the parade ... I haven't been though). Though I normally see them sat in the yard when I go past ... most recently on the 501 diversion bus. Though my wife mentioned she saw one on Queen a few weeks ago ... so it does happen. There's always the Halton Radial Museum up north of Milton - http://www.hcry.org/

Does anyone know if they had shuttle buses today from Bathurst Station to Exhibition Place or did they just add extra streetcars to the 511? I rode 511 from College to King just before noon and saw no shuttles along Bathurst.

Does anyone know if they had shuttle buses today from Bathurst Station to Exhibition Place or did they just add extra streetcars to the 511? I rode 511 from College to King just before noon and saw no shuttles along Bathurst.

I saw buses out around 6pm, and again around 9pm......

Eglinton sent out 20 buses just for Caribana, So I'm sure buses went out on to Bathurst. But because of the shuttles on Harbourfront and the mess thats along that route during Caribana, I wouldn't be surprised if they put more buses on Harbourfront and more streetcars on Bathurst, the ones that would've been on 509 Harbourfront.

I saw buses out around 6pm, and again around 9pm......

Alright. I just found it kind of odd because in previous years buses were running by noon along Bathurst but I didn't see a single one during the 20 minutes or so I was in the area. I didn't see any shuttles on Roncesvalles either but then again I don't see the point of them having Dundas West express buses anymore since you can't pass streetcars on Roncesvalles anymore.

Eglinton sent out 20 buses just for Caribana, So I'm sure buses went out on to Bathurst. But because of the shuttles on Harbourfront and the mess thats along that route during Caribana, I wouldn't be surprised if they put more buses on Harbourfront and more streetcars on Bathurst, the ones that would've been on 509 Harbourfront.

Around 12:30pm there was a line up of VIIs on Bay St. from Arrow Rd, Birchmount, Eglinton and Malvern waiting to enter service on the Union express shuttle. The line went almost up to Adelaide.

From my observations, it looked like that was the case. The streetcars that would've been used on 509 were used to increase service on 511, and more buses were put on 509 to increase service there as well. Signage for the Caribbean Festival at Bathurst station directed passengers to take 511 streetcars, not express buses (iirc, the signage indicated express buses in previous years, but correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't see any express buses during the time I was out, approximately between 1pm and 5pm.

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2012/August/0801_caribana_service.jsp Says nothing of "Shuttle" /Express buses operating from Bathurst:

List of service increased or Express routes added was to be as follows:

• 511 Bathurst southbound from Bathurst Station to Exhibition Place
  • 504 King from Dundas West Station to Sunnyside Loop
  • 29 Dufferin southbound from Dufferin Station to Exhibition Place
  • Keele Station express bus to Parkside Drive/Lake Shore Boulevard West
  • Lansdowne Station express bus via Jameson Avenue, to Springhurst Avenue/Dunn Avenue
  • Direct shuttle bus from Bay Street north of Front Street to the eastern entrance to Exhibition Place (return shuttle will drop customers off at St. Andrew Station)
  • 509 Harbourfront replacement bus from Union Station to Exhibition Place

Looks like the "70" might be "7D". The "D" must have been an unused branch designation at that time.

I didn't even put 2 and 2 together on that ... The older signs out of Davenport division had a 7D St Clair-Exhibition exposure, amongst many others (Davenport had 7-7F, Wilson had 7,7G). Why do I have a feeling there was a 7H exposure at one point?

Name me one day this summer where continuous a/c use wasn't needed.

Name me one day last year when no busses failed to start?

Yup ... didn't think so.

Does anyone know what happened to the TTC's ZERO IDLING Policy? Was it all a sham?

Turning off a bus for anything less than 10 minutes is a bad idea and more importantly a waste of time, even if the engine isn't required to operate the air conditioner or heat the bus. Buses will, as a virtue of there use, have to sit from time to time to wait for their scheduled time or load passengers, if the TTC was to turn off buses every time they sat for under 10 minutes there would be a substantial increase in service delays due to 'no (re)start buses'. If a bus did fail to restart a Service Truck would have to be summoned from the garage to attend the bus' location, once there the truck would be required to idle while pumping air or suppling power to the dead bus. If the Service Truck was unsuccessful in getting the bus restarted, possibly due to a blown starter motor or solenoid, a heavy tow truck would have to be called in to remove the bus, idling all the while as the bus is being secured to the truck.

Restarting a modern diesel bus before the turbo has been allowed to cool (minimum 3 minutes, minimum) is not recommended by the manufacturer as it drastically reduces the life cycle of certain engine components.

Engine power is required to operate certain components of the bus that maybe required during a 'stopover', such as the HVAC system, wheelchair lift or the ramp, etc, etc.

To be quite honest, if you want a bus that doesn't idle, a bus that doesn't pollute, then you'd better start campaigning for the return of trolleybuses to Toronto. I'd gladly sign the petition, trolleybuses are well worth the large upfront costs of initial setup.

For clarification's sake, we're agreeing....right?

Yes. I know you're connections. I'd never disagree with "the mech"

To be quite honest, if you want a bus that doesn't idle, a bus that doesn't pollute, then you'd better start campaigning for the return of trolleybuses to Toronto. I'd gladly sign the petition, trolleybuses are well worth the large upfront costs of initial setup.

I'll sign under every known alias and address I've ever used!

Are there any other swingnose frogs on the subway besides the one at Downsview?

+10

Actually, I think they might have been removed.

Smallspy?

And I'd sign that petition too.

Actually, I think they might have been removed.

Smallspy?

About 4 or 5 years ago.

The only ones left that I am aware of are at the diamonds of the crossover at upper level St. George and the crossing in the throat of Greenwood Yard. I don't even think that the double-slip at Davisville has moving-point diamonds.

Dan

Thanks. I imagine the one at St. George was installed later?

It's been there as long as the line and the crossover has been open. There also was one at the east end of Union at the double-crossover there, but as far as I can find it was removed shortly after the line was extended to St. George.

Dan