Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

1785 had an accident entering Spadina Station on Thursday night. The roof of 1785 got caught under the roof overhang of the terminal at the northwest corner. Saw this on CP24 yesterday morning. I couldn't see damage to the bus but the terminal roof was damaged quite a bit.

1785 had an accident entering Spadina Station on Thursday night. The roof of 1785 got caught under the roof overhang of the terminal at the northwest corner. Saw this on CP24 yesterday morning. I couldn't see damage to the bus but the terminal roof was damaged quite a bit.

Is that one of the replacement buses on Spadina or a 127? I thought there was enough clearance for that.

Is that one of the replacement buses on Spadina or a 127? I thought there was enough clearance for that.

That'd be a Spadina bus, since the 127 is a Mount Dennis route and has no 17s.

I thought there was enough clearance for that.

There is enough clearance ... someone just didn't make the turn properly, came in too close, mounted the curb and ended up with their bus wedged under the over hang of the station.

I'm going to be riding the 29 in the near future, and I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for as many oddballs 9400s as possible. So far I know of:

9408 (9300 style front doors)

9426 (all black back)

9435 (9300 style front doors)

9439 (CNG-era fleet number locations, like on the 7000s)

I already have a photo of 9426, and I hope to run into at least two of the above ones next time I ride the 29. Does anyone know of any other oddballs?

Also, are there any 9400s without a bike rack right now?

Guest orionvi

I'm going to be riding the 29 in the near future, and I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for as many oddballs 9400s as possible. So far I know of:

9408 (9300 style front doors)

9426 (all black back)

9435 (9300 style front doors)

9439 (CNG-era fleet number locations, like on the 7000s)

I already have a photo of 9426, and I hope to run into at least two of the above ones next time I ride the 29. Does anyone know of any other oddballs?

Also, are there any 9400s without a bike rack right now?

9400 has emergency exit signs in Spanish at the very back.

Many 9400s also don't have working destination signs as well.

Did anybody notice lengthy wait times between trains on the YUS yesterday? (July 1 Canada Day)

My question is does the TTC schedule trains to run less frequent than 6 minutes on holidays like this? Or was it an issue with driver absenteeism that affected service? (Who wants to work on a holiday and not get paid stat pay for it? ;])

It was craptastic service yesterday. The original train I was on got shortturned at Eglinton. The second train we were transferred onto got shortturned at Sheppard. How rare are double shortturns? 3 different trains to get from downtown to Finch, passengers were pretty pissy lol

Did anybody notice lengthy wait times between trains on the YUS yesterday? (July 1 Canada Day)

My question is does the TTC schedule trains to run less frequent than 6 minutes on holidays like this? Or was it an issue with driver absenteeism that affected service? (Who wants to work on a holiday and not get paid stat pay for it? ;])

It was craptastic service yesterday. The original train I was on got shortturned at Eglinton. The second train we were transferred onto got shortturned at Sheppard. How rare are double shortturns? 3 different trains to get from downtown to Finch, passengers were pretty pissy lol

You have to remember, there was an unusually large amount of events happening all across Toronto for Canada Day since it fell on a Sunday. For example, all the malls were open, Pride Parade, CHIN Picnic, Digital Dreams Festival, Euro Cup festivities, Jays game, fireworks, ribfest, jazz festival...especially with the Pride Parade and Euro Cup festivities, the only way to travel around the core was underground, since all road traffic was snarled to a halt.

Hence why traffic around subway stations was at a much higher volume, and with Sunday service today you're bound to see delays.

You have to remember, there was an unusually large amount of events happening all across Toronto for Canada Day since it fell on a Sunday. For example, all the malls were open, Pride Parade, CHIN Picnic, Digital Dreams Festival, Euro Cup festivities, Jays game, fireworks, ribfest, jazz festival...especially with the Pride Parade and Euro Cup festivities, the only way to travel around the core was underground, since all road traffic was snarled to a halt.

Hence why traffic around subway stations was at a much higher volume, and with Sunday service today you're bound to see delays.

I think TTC was simply short drivers. TTC knows whats going on, its not like they are living under a rock, and was surprise about the the large crowds. Even if drivers called in for more buses, there weren't enough drivers.

What is the standard in Ontario for emergency exit side windows on buses and streetcars/LRVs? All the buses and streetcars the TTC currently operates have pop-out side windows, operated by pulling the adjacent red handle, or a pull-out bar below the window. However, in buses and trams/LRVs in Europe, it is common to use emergency hammers instead.

I thought pop-out emergency windows were the North American standard, but from what I saw in the pictures of the TTC legacy LRV mockup, they're supposed to have emergency hammers now, instead of pop-out windows.

Can anyone comment on whether Viva's Van Hool fleet uses emergency hammers? And is this now becoming acceptable here?

If so, why do bus manufacturers such as Orion (now history), New Flyer, Novabus, MCI, and NABI continue to use pop-out emergency exit windows.

Modern safety glass shatters into tiny pellets, no greater than a few millimetres in diameter. This will never injure anyone.

The only issue I've realized with the emergency hammers is that they often fall victim to theft, even though newer brackets now feature an alarm that goes off if the seal holding the hammer is broken.

emergency hammer.png

An Emergency Hammer

Tempered glass doesn't cut?!

Speak for yourself...It does. I've had the nics to prove it.

Tempered glass doesn't cut?!

Speak for yourself...It does. I've had the nics to prove it.

I did a co-op program in my teens at Glaston, a global glass production company, and I handled the glass pellets. They demonstrated how it breaks. All I meant is in an emergency it wouldn't be too bad smashing the window with an emergency hammer. There wouldn't be much contact with the pellets, especially if you end up kicking the rest of the window out.

THIS is why supplying emergency hammers on public transit is a lousy idea.

Do you really want to give him a weapon?!

same goes for glazing on the lower portions of all but the entrance doors.

I did a co-op program in my teens at Glaston, a global glass production company, and I handled the glass pellets. They demonstrated how it breaks. All I meant is in an emergency it wouldn't be too bad smashing the window with an emergency hammer. There wouldn't be much contact with the pellets, especially if you end up kicking the rest of the window out.

try crawling through the mess on your hands and knees in shorts, maybe sandals. It doesn't all come out of the gasket cleanly, those microscopic slivers are a bitch.

Can anyone comment on whether Viva's Van Hool fleet uses emergency hammers? And is this now becoming acceptable here?

Emergency Exit windows, on Van Hools, and the Novas.....

THIS is why supplying emergency hammers on public transit is a lousy idea.

Do you really want to give him a weapon?!

same goes for glazing on the lower portions of all but the entrance doors.

One other thing to consider...

Emergency hammers don't work with many/most of the anti-graffiti and anti-blast materials. Which most TTC vehicles now have installed on them.

try crawling through the mess on your hands and knees in shorts, maybe sandals. It doesn't all come out of the gasket cleanly, those microscopic slivers are a bitch.

Even the "bits" are dangerous. One of the most common injuries from a car accident are small cuts and abrasions from flying glass.

Dan

Even the "bits" are dangerous. One of the most common injuries from a car accident are small cuts and abrasions from flying glass.

Dan

Ya, to quote a friend that was in the back seat of a car we were in that was involved in a collision. "I'm bleeding back here!"

Thank you all very much for your input. The "pop-out" emergency side exit windows do appear to be the way to go.

I'm just wondering though why the TTC appeared to switch to the emergency hammers for its legacy LRV fleet, especially if emergency hammers don't work with anti-graffiti glazings.

I'm just wondering though why the TTC appeared to switch to the emergency hammers for its legacy LRV fleet, especially if emergency hammers don't work with anti-graffiti glazings.

It's possible that the anti-graffiti covers on the windows intended to be used for the legacy cars do allow hammers to work. The ones on the mockup, however, most certainly would not from the inside.

I did make a comment about them during the review of the mockup in November. It will be interesting to see what now happens.

Dan

Out of curiosity, what's the fine if a car drives into a "TTC bus only" area (STC, Don Mills, etc).

Out of curiosity, what's the fine if a car drives into a "TTC bus only" area (STC, Don Mills, etc).

Nothing I get the clear message by the lack of enforcement of everything that rules and laws and bylaws are just words on a paper that make someone feel good for putting them there.

Ha,

On a trip to Toronto in a School Bus I was the unofficial navigator using Google Maps Satellite Images to get us to STC. I told the driver to take the next left, unable to see from the satellite image that the next left was actually the tunnel to the bus area. Unable to get out of the left turn lane, and looking at numerous "Busses Only" signs, I believe the driver made a comment about how they were driving a bus and we got to take a tour of the bus area before finding a praking spot in the lot.

And nobody noticed.

Ha,

On a trip to Toronto in a School Bus I was the unofficial navigator using Google Maps Satellite Images to get us to STC. I told the driver to take the next left, unable to see from the satellite image that the next left was actually the tunnel to the bus area. Unable to get out of the left turn lane, and looking at numerous "Busses Only" signs, I believe the driver made a comment about how they were driving a bus and we got to take a tour of the bus area before finding a praking spot in the lot.

And nobody noticed.

Even if someone did notice refer to comment above.

considering the numerous times ive seen confused people drive into YRT terminals (both finch and Richmond hill centre) have never seen people get fined.........

considering the numerous times ive seen confused people drive into YRT terminals (both finch and Richmond hill centre) have never seen people get fined.........

Yeah, if they get spotted by a driver they probably get a honk or a "Get outta here", if they haven't realized they're where they shouldn't be. It's not uncommon to see the odd clueless driver do that in YRT land.

TTC stations however, that could be different. But it all depends if there's any kind of enforcement (which, by Grapejuice's comments, seems to rarely be the case).