Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I don't think anyone can adequately plan for transit useage, patterns and requirements 90 years into the future. Hell, by then the Sheppard line might be overcapacity as a 6-car subway line...

Toronto does really need to get into gear on many aspects, but short of a source of money to do them, they're mostly all pipe dreams or political spins...

This is my list of ideas for transit expansion in Toronto by the year 2100. Toronto needs a major overhaul

what about tolling highway's 401,404, DVP, Gardener, 409, 427, and Allen Rd within the city of Toronto. The City of Toronto will own the highways

Good luck selling that to the voting public.

It'll never happen anyways. Maybe the DVP, Gardiner, and Allen Rd, but I cannot see MTO turning their non-toll 400 series highways into toll highways.

And you think we have gridlock now? Wait till all the expressways in Toronto are toll. Yeah, that'll solve everything!

I rode on a Orion VII Hybrid 16XX series and the Odometer said it only had around 88 XXX km's, while i have seen sister units having more then 300 XXX km's. Is it possible that some of the less reliable units dont see much service resulting in really low km's? Or is it a faulty reading?

I rode on a Orion VII Hybrid 16XX series and the Odometer said it only had around 88 XXX km's, while i have seen sister units having more then 300 XXX km's. Is it possible that some of the less reliable units dont see much service resulting in really low km's? Or is it a faulty reading?

Likely a replacement Odo that was installed about 88,000 km ago.

Hm, I was wondering, since it was my first time riding the Yonge line during rush hour (don't talk about it), the operator had made an announcement that its normal for the trains to use the third platform at Davisville, and I was wondering if its actually normal during rush hour, or just to calm down riders? Also, on an unrelated note, I've noticed that 1566 makes a whistle like sound as it takes off and brakes.

During PM Peak a number of trains from Davisville Yard enter service southbound from the third platform.

Also, on an unrelated note, I've noticed that 1566 makes a whistle like sound as it takes off and brakes.

SInce your talking about a 1xxx series those are hybrid buses, i believe that whistling sound you are hearing is the electric motor starting up during acceleration and recharging the battery during braking. Someone can correct me on this iif i'm not right

SInce your talking about a 1xxx series those are hybrid buses, i believe that whistling sound you are hearing is the electric motor starting up during acceleration and recharging the battery during braking. Someone can correct me on this iif i'm not right

, I've noticed that 1566 makes a whistle like sound as it takes off and brakes.

Does the bus sound like

? Edited by Oc4526

Had a chat with Jim Teeple - Deputy Chief Operating Office today during the Meet-the-Manager event at Spadina station today. He confirmed with me that even though buses/streetcars are crushloaded, they are now required to make all stops and inform customers waiting at the stop that the vehicle is full (even if no one needed to get off). This is all part of TTC's increased emphasis on customer service.

I didn't want to rant out at him that this only results in further wait times along the line, additional short-turns, and frustration of customers on board the bus - since its probably those stranded at stops complaining the loudest.

I could only hope people realize the core function of TTC (and what customers like us pay for) is to transport passengers from point A to point B as efficiently and safely as possible.

Back to the Meet-the-Manager event, there was about 5 managers there, and only one to two passengers talking with them while I was there. I also asked Jim about long headways eastbound around Bathurst station between 8:15am-8:50am I've been experiencing over the past two years (experiencing trains coming every 3'-4'30" vs. 2'21" per the Service Summary). He took down my email and said he'd get back to me on that one, so we'll see. Not a huge deal as its probably just my bad luck and the signals itself are performing properly,

Guest orionvi

Had a chat with Jim Teeple - Deputy Chief Operating Office today during the Meet-the-Manager event at Spadina station today. He confirmed with me that even though buses/streetcars are crushloaded, they are now required to make all stops and inform customers waiting at the stop that the vehicle is full (even if no one needed to get off). This is all part of TTC's increased emphasis on customer service.

I thought there was supposed to be a destination sign for that. Also, even if the driver says the bus/streetcar is full, that's not stopping anyone from boarding, which most people will do.

nice customer service........ even though you cant get on they have to stop to tell you the bus/streetcar is full....... who came up with that BS......... its like dangling a carrot and taking it away,

nice customer service........ even though you cant get on they have to stop to tell you the bus/streetcar is full....... who came up with that BS......... its like dangling a carrot and taking it away,

As was already said, it's because the people who get passed by are the ones who are complaining the loudest. Most people assume a transit vehicle passing them by is doing so because of operator ignorance, not because it's full. Likewise, the TTC has to cater to that ignorance, even when it causes service delays.

As was already said, it's because the people who get passed by are the ones who are complaining the loudest. Most people assume a transit vehicle passing them by is doing so because of operator ignorance, not because it's full. Likewise, the TTC has to cater to that ignorance, even when it causes service delays.

I guess everyone on the vehicle that now has to stop at every stop, even though full, so the driver can argue with passengers who can't get on the bus, need to complain even louder to TTC! Here's the form to fill in - https://www.ttc.ca/feedback/serviceComplaintSuggestion.action

Everyone knows some pointy head in management came up with it, since it 's the 'new' TTC customer credo now with Byford at the helm. and they never have to deal with it, only issue idiotic policy statements and let front line workers clean up the mess. Look, as soon as that door opens, people are sucked in like a vacum cleaner and crawling over passengers head's to get to the back before the driver has even opened his mouth and said a word. Does'nt that also insult the passengers intelligence that they need to be told why they're not getting picked up? I know some do, but not all,...and it still won't stop them from complaining they could'nt get on the bus, only that the driver was nice enough to stop and tell them so. jeez.

Another way is that , i'm not sure of the Orion VII's have this but i know for a fact that for YRT/Viva, the D40LF's and all the VanHool's have a speaker on the outside of the bus that is wired into the mic and is controlled by a switch, so instead of having the door open and a flood of passengers come in then being told to leave due a full bus, the driver can tell the waiting passengers outside about the situation on the bus.

Sidenote: Does anyone know what the "Mode" Button does on Allison Transmissions do? Like on Coach Canada's H3-45's that have an Allison Transmission it enables for more power output from the engine but i doubt that is the same for a transit bus.

Another way is that , i'm not sure of the Orion VII's have this but i know for a fact that for YRT/Viva, the D40LF's and all the VanHool's have a speaker on the outside of the bus that is wired into the mic and is controlled by a switch, so instead of having the door open and a flood of passengers come in then being told to leave due a full bus, the driver can tell the waiting passengers outside about the situation on the bus.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The exterior speakers are an option on most buses. Miway has exterior speakers on their buses as well, including their VIIs. The TTC does not order their buses with exterior speakers.

That's a ridiculous policy. As soon as the operator opens the front doors and attempt to explain to the customers waiting that the vehicle is full, I can guarantee you that they're not going to listen to the operator and will still try to cram onto the bus past the yellow line.

In Ottawa, if a bus is overloaded, the operator keeps trucking through until someone rings the bell (and press "STS + 6" on their radios). Customers waiting at the bus stop will figure out on their own as to why the bus skipped the stop.

Back to the Meet-the-Manager event, there was about 5 managers there, and only one to two passengers talking with them while I was there. I also asked Jim about long headways eastbound around Bathurst station between 8:15am-8:50am I've been experiencing over the past two years (experiencing trains coming every 3'-4'30" vs. 2'21" per the Service Summary). He took down my email and said he'd get back to me on that one, so we'll see. Not a huge deal as its probably just my bad luck and the signals itself are performing properly,

So the trains are 0'49" to 2'09" too far apart eastbound bathurst at pretty well the peak of the am rush. That still falls within their benchmarks for acceptable performance I think. Steve Munro had a good write up about this on his site on May 16.

I wouldn't call 49 seconds extra a great big deal though. More than 2 minutes is a problem. The mess at the end terminals is a big deal too, and it seems to be getting worse at all times of the day, not just when peak service is out.

That's a ridiculous policy. As soon as the operator opens the front doors and attempt to explain to the customers waiting that the vehicle is full, I can guarantee you that they're not going to listen to the operator and will still try to cram onto the bus past the yellow line.

In Ottawa, if a bus is overloaded, the operator keeps trucking through until someone rings the bell (and press "STS + 6" on their radios). Customers waiting at the bus stop will figure out on their own as to why the bus skipped the stop.

Stop it now, you're talking crazy. That's the way it used to be here before it turned into LaLa land. So now when I'm on a crushloaded bus crammed like a sardine i have to be delayed even more becuase we now still have to stop at every stop to chat with the other pasesngers waiting. Oh I don't see any passengers, both on and off the bus venting towards the driver. And as for Jim Teeple, he and his so called 'customer service', here's a concept, make the trains runs on time and stop pandering and patronizing your customers.

This policy will never see the light of day. Forcing an employee to enter a potentially unsafe position (stopping to tell waiting people they can't get on and having to deal with angry passengers already on the vehicle who will adopt the attitude of hey why the F&*^ did you stop when there is no room) As far as I recall ,every employee in this great country of ours has the right to refuse unsafe work. I hope the union will tell management to go wipe their ass with this policy. What is wrong with a desto sign that reads Sorry Bus FULL ? The TTC was trying this a while back, what happened to that idea?