Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I've noticed every day this week a male and female standing near the washrooms and bloor, and constantly going in, looking arround, typing on there phones, hanging in there for a while, then coming out.. and repeating the process. They have some ID badge on ... i cant make out what it says, i see its some permit and the ttc logo. Anyone know what they r doing?

Could be undercover TEO's ... their "ID" consists of a standard employee ID, a paper laminated card with a photo proclaiming them "Transit Enforcement Officers", and then their little silver badge which they tend not to display all that often.

I've noticed every day this week a male and female standing near the washrooms and bloor, and constantly going in, looking arround, typing on there phones, hanging in there for a while, then coming out.. and repeating the process. They have some ID badge on ... i cant make out what it says, i see its some permit and the ttc logo. Anyone know what they r doing?

Counters. They are counting traffic. Typically you will see them counting passengers on vehicles, but they do counts on stuff like elevators/escalators, and from what you said washroom traffic too.

I was wondering if there was a point in time that the 59C ever terminated at Lawrence station. I believe I've been seeing it on older maps, but I'm not too sure about it. Well, if that is true, then I wonder when they changed it so that the 59C only went to Lawrence West Stn.

The 59C Maple Leaf ran to/from Lawrence Station (Yonge line) from at least 1998 to 2003/2004. The 59C first appears (in Transit Toronto's archive) on the 1998 Ride Guide, and disappears on the November 2004 Ride Guide. However, it may have operated as early as 1993 as there is a large gap in TT's Ride Guide archive.

I imagine it was discontinued because the 52 operates quite frequently between Lawrence and Lawrence West stations, and because the 59 has fairly low ridership. It is likely that discontinuing this service saved the TTC money.

Counters. They are counting traffic. Typically you will see them counting passengers on vehicles, but they do counts on stuff like elevators/escalators, and from what you said washroom traffic too.

they r not ttc employees.. these guy have like a visitor pass they r wearing. when I saw the lady yesterday it said the visitors pass is valid till june 15th. And they r in the washrooms often. Im wonderingf if they r doing some independant thing on the cleaning.. level of cleaniness of the washrooms?

The 59C Maple Leaf ran to/from Lawrence Station (Yonge line) from at least 1998 to 2003/2004. The 59C first appears (in Transit Toronto's archive) on the 1998 Ride Guide, and disappears on the November 2004 Ride Guide. However, it may have operated as early as 1993 as there is a large gap in TT's Ride Guide archive.

I imagine it was discontinued because the 52 operates quite frequently between Lawrence and Lawrence West stations, and because the 59 has fairly low ridership. It is likely that discontinuing this service saved the TTC money.

hm, interesting. If any route had to go to Lawrence Station, it has to be the 58A which would provide a more direct connection to downtown Toronto from the airport (Not as fast, but a connection nonetheless)

hm, interesting. If any route had to go to Lawrence Station, it has to be the 58A which would provide a more direct connection to downtown Toronto from the airport (Not as fast, but a connection nonetheless)

wouldn't it be just as easy to get off at Lawrence West station to go downtown?

Depending on what your final destination is 192 to Kipling is defiantly a faster option to downtown. As for service between the Lawrence stations, if at some point there is enough written demand to the TTC from riders for more service between the two stations, I think 58 would be a viable option even if only at peak time since it services Lawrence from Scarlett Rd. The trouble of course is that i would ad an extra 30 to 40 minutes of travel time. I presume if such a thing were to occur it would only be the 58A branch that would get the extension, but that would still be a significant amount of extra buses required to maintain headway.

has there been a record set on fastest travel time to all TTC subway Stations?

Unofficially, Adham Fischer, April 12, 2012 with 02:46:01.

What is your definition of visiting a station. Just passing through it or actually getting off at the station and having to catch the next train? If it is the second one then it will take longer than 2 hours 46 minutes. Fellow board members Articulated, yrt304 and I tried something similar back in the summer of 2009 over two days (one day YUS and Sheppard, the other SRT and BD). We each got off at every third station, went upstairs, got a transfer and got back down in time to catch the next train. It took us nearly 2 hours on each day, so if we did it all in one day it would have taken close to 4 hours and that is with 3 people. Mind you, we did do it during midday service.

I think TTC needs to expand more transit throughout Toronto, because due to the capacity issues along the Yonge and Spadina lines and the congested traffic on the suburbs. The DRL is a first-step, but I think it won't solve the capacity issues and the traffic congestion in Toronto especially in the suburbs.

I think TTC needs to expand more transit throughout Toronto, because due to the capacity issues along the Yonge and Spadina lines and the congested traffic on the suburbs. The DRL is a first-step, but I think it won't solve the capacity issues and the traffic congestion in Toronto especially in the suburbs.

Okay, where's the money? The TTC is cash strapped at the moment.

My car needs a jet engine too. First I need the car. :unsure::wacko::blink:

What is your definition of visiting a station. Just passing through it or actually getting off at the station and having to catch the next train? If it is the second one then it will take longer than 2 hours 46 minutes. Fellow board members Articulated, yrt304 and I tried something similar back in the summer of 2009 over two days (one day YUS and Sheppard, the other SRT and BD). We each got off at every third station, went upstairs, got a transfer and got back down in time to catch the next train. It took us nearly 2 hours on each day, so if we did it all in one day it would have taken close to 4 hours and that is with 3 people. Mind you, we did do it during midday service.

My definition follows the guiness book of world record definition, i don't necessarily have to get off at the station, i just need adequate proof that i was there, so location, time and signature or picture to prove i was there..

I'm aiming to start at Kipling at the start of service so i can maximize the potential.

Cool story, bro.

This is my list of ideas for transit expansion in Toronto by the year 2100. Toronto needs a major overhaul

1.) convert the sheppard line subway into an LRT, extended to Donsview stn and Durham Region

2.) Have an LRT at Finch that stretches from Pearson Airport to Morningview (at Old Finch)

3.) Introduce a LRT at steels, York Mills and Wilson

4.) the remaining new LRT routes from the original Transit City except the Don Mills LRT

5.) Have TTC negotiate with GO transit and other transits in the GTA for fare integration

6.) Have GO transit build a station between dupont and summerhill, and let TTC introduce a subway shuttle that stretches from the new station to Union Station

that runs along Bay St.

7.) DRL in order relive overcrowded people from the B-D line (from Don mills Stn to Dundas west Stn)

8.) Have TTC subways extended beyond the city limits

9.) Have TTC also negotiate with GO transit to build additional stations in the city of Toronto

10.) Have TTC stop at certain stations on peak hours like NYC subways have, and classify the stations whether its a peak hours stop, midday, or full

11.) have the LRT and subways divided into branches for example,

Sheppard Line LRT Branch A: Downsview stn- Durham Region

Sheppard Line LRT Branch B: Downsview stn- Scarborough Town Centre

12.) have TTC subways to have express routes like they also have in NYC

^ :lol:

This is my list of ideas for transit expansion in Toronto by the year 2100. Toronto needs a major overhaul

1.) convert the sheppard line subway into an LRT, extended to Donsview stn and Durham Region

2.) Have an LRT at Finch that stretches from Pearson Airport to Morningview (at Old Finch)

4.) the remaining new LRT routes from the original Transit City except the Don Mills LRT

5.) Have TTC negotiate with GO transit and other transits in the GTA for fare integration

6.) Have GO transit build a station between dupont and summerhill, and let TTC introduce a subway shuttle that stretches from the new station to Union Station

that runs along Bay St.

7.) DRL in order relive overcrowded people from the B-D line (from Don mills Stn to Dundas west Stn)

9.) Have TTC also negotiate with GO transit to build additional stations in the city of Toronto

10.) Have TTC stop at certain stations on peak hours like NYC subways have, and classify the stations whether its a peak hours stop, midday, or full

I can loan you my shovel if you want.

You conveniently ignore that there's no money to do it...

Goldman Sachs, Lehman Bros. and Bank of America couldn't afford a pipe dream like that.

that runs along Bay St.

You could always build one on paper...because clearly we're not going to see this happen for a few lifetimes at this rate.

Hm, I was wondering, since it was my first time riding the Yonge line during rush hour (don't talk about it), the operator had made an announcement that its normal for the trains to use the third platform at Davisville, and I was wondering if its actually normal during rush hour, or just to calm down riders? Also, on an unrelated note, I've noticed that 1566 makes a whistle like sound as it takes off and brakes.