Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

As of this moment, I don't think Transport Canada has approved LED headlights yet.

Niagara Falls Transit's Nova LFS have LED headlights. Quite cool IMO, they can light either the top half only or the full set (I guess this is their method of varying the brightness, unlike incandescents)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Articulated...989-100801a.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Articulated...2987-100801.jpg

Don't you live somewhere along the 98 north of Drewry? If so you must walk pretty slowly if it takes you 15 minutes to walk to one of Steeles/Yonge/Drewry/Bathurst. :rolleyes:

No. 15 minutes walk due west to North York Centre. OK, my brother walks faster than me, but I'm not slow either. :(

Niagara Falls Transit's Nova LFS have LED headlights. Quite cool IMO, they can light either the top half only or the full set (I guess this is their method of varying the brightness, unlike incandescents)

tres cool :P

Lexus LS600hL also seems to have LED headlights. Many Audis have a LED strip for DRL. I am going to stick an LED bulb in my car for DRL once I find the right one. My main headlights are projected-retrofitted HID. :D

The bus looks good with those LEDs. Approved or not, I've been noticing them a lot on the higher-end cars, and older cars with new lights, and they look very nice! I don't know, But I'm tired of that horrible yellow tone that incandescents give off.

question; what other "Community Bus" routes are there? all i know is there's one from Lawrence West Station and i dont know where the other routes are. during both of my trips to Toronto i saw 9704 (Orion II) on the 400 Lawrence Manor

question; what other "Community Bus" routes are there? all i know is there's one from Lawrence West Station and i dont know where the other routes are. during both of my trips to Toronto i saw 9704 (Orion II) on the 400 Lawrence Manor

According to the TTC website, there are 5 "community bus" routes (here, see "community bus" heading) and 2 "community link" routes (here and here)

Hope this helps.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Articulated...989-100801a.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Articulated...2987-100801.jpg

I stand corrected. Those look like LED arrays to me.

I have a quick question, though I'm pretty sure that I know the answer. Are bicycles permitted on TTC subways?

Only during off-peak hours; Mon-Fri between 9-3 and 6 until the end of service, all day Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

You're on! Ohhh boy, this is going to be one frigid morning...

Okay Neil, pretty much you're right on this one. While I was at a Tim Hortons at Warden and Huntingwood, I managed to catch these buses coming down.

6:27am... 7906... 324

6:58am... 77x4... 324

7:27am*.. 7815... 324 <-So, even this trip exists.

8:09am*.. 7494.... 68 to Danforth Avenue

8:26am... 7670... 68 to Warden Station

*Previously mentioned as an unlisted trip.

The 8:09 would be your "7:51" that you claimed, which unfortunately wasn't 30 minutes after the apparent last 324 bus. So, it's more of a 40 minute wait.

...Today's Morning Low was -21*

From my observation, it definately didn't appear that he wasn't running late as he came up northbound and stopped for a quick wizz while the bus was (I figured) several minutes early and it had less than 10 passengers on board.

So, if I ever meet you in person.... Medium double double on me. No Timbits.

Bluish tint to them?

Yes, slightly.

Autosystems (part of the Magna family) in Belleville employs over 1000 people making headlights. From what drivers told me those headlights came as a result of the desire of the Autosystems people to have the City try out this kind of headlight on one of the buses.

I'm pretty certain that they're not LED's. They don't seem to have the crispness that I associate with LED lights, although they seem to be quite bright.

Going to be interesting to see how the TTC, ATU and the media respond to this (apparent) serious safety lapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9KM8jj-10

On a more positive note, I found this video and article (linked in the description) of a great Eglinton operator. I've had this driver multiple times over the past year or so, the last time being about a week ago. I've had him mainly on 25 but I've also seen him doing the 86 in the summer as well as the Bathurst Caribana shuttle this past year. This board period he is on 100. He is really a great driver, calls out every stop and is always in a happy mood.

Toronto City Life: A Great TTC Experience

0660 in Belleville had the older Nova headlights and they retrofitted some aftermarket head lights, they remind me of the new energy saver lightbulbs in a house. I will have to get a picture for you.

My recent trip to Belleville allowed a closeup shot and a talk to the driver of 0660. They are aftermarket lights apparently made by "a local company" and they were testing them out. They apparently last longer than traditional bulbs but are much more costly.

0660's headlights

Going to be interesting to see how the TTC, ATU and the media respond to this (apparent) serious safety lapse:

Probably playing music. I'd do the same thing. If he's playing music, I don't think thats against the law, is it? Its not like he's outright texting.

The sound of an H-5 is better though ;)

I've seen this phone use thing a lot. It really doesn't concern me, as they use it to check the time from my experience or sometimes call someone, but they always keep a look of whats going on. I have never seen an operator use one for texting or stay looking at one for more than a few seconds.

The real danger are drivers on the road that are much more distracted with their gadgets and can hurt people more easily.

They can't really text because they're in the tunnels. Some listen to music, and that doesn't bother me either.

What really bothered me once, was an operator who disabled the deadmans feature on a T1 by tying the controller to something, and driving hands free. If there's a media response to this we'll be seeing a lot more closed doors.

It's not clear what the device was being used for. (Although people do send or respond to texts while in tunnels -- it will be sent when next in signal range.)

The optics are not so good, however. Ideally, adjust these things while stopped -- not upon entering a station. I still remember the time while driving a full van, pre-cellphones, and I looked up from the dash radio -- to face an oncoming car and swerve back to my lane. I just had to have it on the right station.

Is the complete ban on cells still in place for drivers at MBTA? I wonder if it is heeded.

ed d.

Is the complete ban on cells still in place for drivers at MBTA? I wonder if it is heeded.

ed d.

I can confirm that the complete ban is still in place for drivers at the MBTA.

That being said, I did take a look at the services on the TTC that are proposed to be cut. A good 90% of these cuts are fairly justified (such as the 33 and 162), since I believe that they are being underused a lot and have quite often decent service nearby if service is needed (for example for the 8 and 62, the 87 and 100 are good covers in that area).

However on an example counterpoint, cutting both 127 and 26 on Sunday evenings might be a little questionable. Is Sunday night patronage of either route really that low?

lol, Ed, it happens ALL the time, how else are they supposed to communicate with friends & family? usually both ends of their runs are UNDERGROUND, with NO TIME to go upstairs to make calls or text?

driving a train only takes ONE HAND, & long stretches without signals outside DO occur.

Also Ed, those trains DO have secondary safety devices that will trip if a RED signal is passed without the driver stopping the train himself.

btw, Ed, come ride the BD you'll see worse safety problems, lol, lazy guards that dont even stick their heads out to scan platforms, not giving a damm if they catch a blind person in the doors with guide dog, its happened several times to my friends, or getting a wheelchair user as they try to enter/exit a train. (you dont hear the media b***hing about that do you?)

Yes Ed texting is one thing, & the media tend to romanticize all over it, but media dont give two sh*ts about a elevator, the ONLY accessible connection between the BD/YUS lines being out of service for OVER 18 MONTHS, didnt see/hear any media outcry about that did you? yet when you see one driver texting on youtube you/others rant over it? yeah, real unbiased reporting there, NOT, I stopped watching the news broadcasts so long ago, heck I stopped watching before (RIP) Mark Dailey left CityTv.

The media, even you Ed, jump all over drivers/operators for supposedly minor/major safety infractions, & when someone stupidly runs/walks infront of a streetcar & gets killed you guys all seem to bend it into being the streetcar drivers fault.

I can confirm that the complete ban is still in place for drivers at the MBTA.

That being said, I did take a look at the services on the TTC that are proposed to be cut. A good 90% of these cuts are fairly justified (such as the 33 and 162), since I believe that they are being underused a lot and have quite often decent service nearby if service is needed (for example for the 8 and 62, the 87 and 100 are good covers in that area).

However on an example counterpoint, cutting both 127 and 26 on Sunday evenings might be a little questionable. Is Sunday night patronage of either route really that low?

oh, so I guess cutting the only link to an accessible subway station west of Jane along Dundas is ok with you?

for a period of 11 hours? (10pm Sat night to 9am Sunday morning)

7.40 hours (10pm Sunday to 5:40am Monday)

(holidays run Saturday (6am) start times)

that is among other accessibility reductions that will happen with these cuts, & Before you even think of mentioning Wheel Trans, it is only accessible to 30% of disabled people in Toronto, as only certain types of disabilities qualify.

lol, Ed, it happens ALL the time, how else are they supposed to communicate with friends & family? usually both ends of their runs are UNDERGROUND, with NO TIME to go upstairs to make calls or text?

driving a train only takes ONE HAND, & long stretches without signals outside DO occur.

Also Ed, those trains DO have secondary safety devices that will trip if a RED signal is passed without the driver stopping the train himself.

btw, Ed, come ride the BD you'll see worse safety problems, lol, lazy guards that dont even stick their heads out to scan platforms, not giving a damm if they catch a blind person in the doors with guide dog, its happened several times to my friends, or getting a wheelchair user as they try to enter/exit a train.

Buschic: The ttc employees and atu can speak for themselves on the subject.

We do not need any other party speaking on our behalf on this particular matter.

Thank you.

Yes Ed texting is one thing, & the media tend to romanticize all over it, but media dont give two sh*ts about a elevator, the ONLY accessible connection between the BD/YUS lines being out of service for OVER 18 MONTHS, didnt see/hear any media outcry about that did you? yet when you see one driver texting on youtube you/others rant over it? yeah, real unbiased reporting there, NOT, I stopped watching the news broadcasts so long ago, heck I stopped watching before (RIP) Mark Dailey left

oh, so I guess cutting the only link to an accessible subway station west of Jane along Dundas is ok with you?

for a period of 11 hours? (10pm Sat night to 9am Sunday morning)

7.40 hours (10pm Sunday to 5:40am Monday)

(holidays run Saturday (6am) start times)

that is among other accessibility reductions that will happen with these cuts, & Before you even think of mentioning Wheel Trans, it is only accessible to 30% of disabled people in Toronto, as only certain types of disabilities qualify.

There's two accesible connections, don't you mean the only accesible copnnection at Bloor and Yonge between the two lines?

Where did he say anything about the route 30? I don't see anything in his post regarding the route 30 or even endorsing the proposed coutes to the route 30 or even hinting at the thought of it. Don't be so quick to judge people if you don't know their opinions.