Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

9 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I don’t think it’s a retrofit. It looks like we went with a new style window frame bc I’ve seen a similar window frame lock on a newer (mid-2000s or later NABI) Denver bus. The regular latch is there on the frame, but installed shy of the tip-in holding clip

I get why they’re locked when they arrive, but don’t get why they are still locked upon entering service 

Yes, those particular locks are factory installations. I mean the existing windows on all existing buses will be locked as a fuel saving initiative. I never said they would use an identical method.

At least that’s what the technical services department bulletin stated when it popped up as I logged in for Saturday’s work orders.

I remember when the engineering department (I think) were the ones who planned to screw lock the tip-in on the NG hybrid when they were new because of the window issue. When the AC Fail light would come on and the driver would still keep the bad HVAC on in the middle of the summer with locked window was the best idea ever!!!

Malfunctioning a/c is definitely meets the criteria for a changeoff now, and going forward after the windows are sealed. 

Technically with vision tied into the J1939 multiplex loop, they could theoretically catch an a/c fail code remotely, even if the operator didn’t report it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I do now if I happen to be on one of the 3100-3130 nova's that are on Birchmount roster now, is pop the roof vent so there is airflow when the bus is moving.

Of course I try to sit at the front if there is room. The AC airflow in the rear of the Nova's is atrocious.

Oh how I miss the Orion VII's

1 minute ago, MK78 said:

What I do now if I happen to be on one of the 3100-3130 nova's that are on Birchmount roster now, is pop the roof vent so there is airflow when the bus is moving.

Of course I try to sit at the front if there is room. The AC airflow in the rear of the Nova's is atrocious.

Buy a car.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MK78 said:

The VIIs from 2002-2009 all have that issue too (hence why the rear tip-in windows are always open [major OCD when the ac is on]). The only difference is that they don’t run as warm on the back row of seats as nearly any Novabus (RTS or LFS) we’ve owned. 

But if you do pop the vent in the rear of the bus, push up just the front of the hatch for decent air flow

11 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The VIIs from 2002-2009 all have that issue too (hence why the rear tip-in windows are always open [major OCD when the ac is on]). The only difference is that they don’t run as warm on the back row of seats as nearly any Novabus (RTS or LFS) we’ve owned. 

But if you do pop the vent in the rear of the bus, push up just the front of the hatch for decent air flow

That's what I do, just the front so it guides the air in.

Yeah whatever is with the Novas, the insulation from the engine, or not enough air circulation in the engine bay, it really warms up the back.

I really dislike that they are locking the windows. I would be OK with it if there was adequate AC in the back section.

6 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The 2002-2009 Orion VIIs dont have that issue at all. The A/C (when working) provides more than adequate cooling and proper air circulation for the entire bus.  The RTS had some pretty bad A/C, probably almost at the same level as the LFS. However due to it's design, the air circulated much better in the RTS than in the LFS.

11 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yes, those particular locks are factory installations. I mean the existing windows on all existing buses will be locked as a fuel saving initiative. I never said they would use an identical method.

At least that’s what the technical services department bulletin stated when it popped up as I logged in for Saturday’s work orders.

If this is true, this is probably one of the dumbest initiatives i've heard of in a long, long time. Realistically speaking, they arent going to be saving a whole lot of cash this way (I dont care what the penny pinchers told them).

It's so dumb I really cant see this rolling out system wide on a full scale.

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

It’s customer service’s job to understand.

I fix buses.

Then fix the shitty AC in the Nova's, and quit yer bitchin at everything on these forums. Your attitude is poor at best.

BTW, I was on a Nova today, an 85xx of sort, and the AC fans were on real high and the back of the bus was actually cool. It was a bit loud in the bus, but hell i'll take the extra fan noise in this weather if its cooler.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Then fix the shitty AC in the Nova's, and quit yer bitchin at everything on these forums. Your attitude is poor at best.

BTW, I was on a Nova today, an 85xx of sort, and the AC fans were on real high and the back of the bus was actually cool. It was a bit loud in the bus, but hell i'll take the extra fan noise in this weather if its cooler.

1. -That’s the engineering department’s job. I only work to their direction. I tried having a brain there once, they crumpled it up and threw it in the waste basket. I learned my lesson.

2...3, 4 and 5. I don’t care.

• Thanks 2

On 6/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, smallspy said:

Normally, the fine print in the contract between the advertiser and the rep for the transit agency would cover the situations a vehicle that was out of service on a day-to-day basis (i.e. too bad, so sad). However, this might be a situation where a single vehicle was contracted to be used, and that the vehicle has been removed from service permanently. The contract may then call for a second vehicle to be wrapped to finish the term of the contract.

Dan

In a more recent example, Dolphin Gaming had full wraps of 4 Orion VIIs out of Eglinton in late 2016/early 2017. One of the wrapped buses was retired in the early part of the retirements; as a result, another VII unit was wrapped to finish the ad campaign.

8 hours ago, Articulated said:

In a more recent example, Dolphin Gaming had full wraps of 4 Orion VIIs out of Eglinton in late 2016/early 2017. One of the wrapped buses was retired in the early part of the retirements; as a result, another VII unit was wrapped to finish the ad campaign.

#8888 had the wrap as well.

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

#8888 had the wrap as well.

8888 was part of a different ad campaign. The ones on the VIIs had an all black background, while the one on 8888 was a multicolour design. The situation I'm referring to had the same ad from the retired bus placed onto another bus.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:54 PM, Articulated said:

Diamond and Diamond is another example.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the TTC streetcar routes at their largest extent in history? I remember seeing a map somewhere (maybe Transit Toronto but I couldn't find it anymore) of a map of TTC streetcar routes in its heydays right before the subway was opened. This showed at that time the furthest reaches of the TTC streetcar track / route in Toronto.

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the TTC streetcar routes at their largest extent in history? I remember seeing a map somewhere (maybe Transit Toronto but I couldn't find it anymore) of a map of TTC streetcar routes in its heydays right before the subway was opened. This showed at that time the furthest reaches of the TTC streetcar track / route in Toronto.

You're going to want the map from about 1945 - that was the absolute largest extant of the streetcar system. By the end of that year the Lakeshore car had been cut back to Long Branch, and by 1948 some of the other, outlying lines started to get cut and converted to buses.

Transit Toronto has a track map here: https://www.transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/Streetcar_1945.pdf

They don't have a route map from that year, but here is one from 1948 shortly before the conversion of the Weston and North Toronto cars to buses: guide1948.gif

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

57 minutes ago, smallspy said:

You're going to want the map from about 1945 - that was the absolute largest extant of the streetcar system. By the end of that year the Lakeshore car had been cut back to Long Branch, and by 1948 some of the other, outlying lines started to get cut and converted to buses.

John Bromley figured 1928 was the greatest extent of the TTC's rail services. Of course, he included the various radial divisions, including the Metropolitan that ran to Sutton. If you are interested in reading more, find a copy of his soft-cover book, TTC '28. Decent copies can be found quite inexpensively these days.

ttc-map-1928-08-22.png

• Like 1

Reading posts like these makes me miss my grandfather.  He grew up in Toronto in the 1920s and thirties and he remembered a lot of long gone things like the North Yonge double enders and stuff like that.  I always enjoyed talking to him about what it was like growing up and entering the workforce during the inter-war years when the streetcar system was still huge and there was an ecclectic mix of equipment from the various operators predating the TTC, and Canada was clawing its way out of the great depression before World War II started.  There can't be many people left now who were old enough then to be able to remember it in that much detail now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Ed T. said:

John Bromley figured 1928 was the greatest extent of the TTC's rail services. Of course, he included the various radial divisions, including the Metropolitan that ran to Sutton. If you are interested in reading more, find a copy of his soft-cover book, TTC '28. Decent copies can be found quite inexpensively these days.

ttc-map-1928-08-22.png

See, my logic for 1945 - and specifically, right before the end of service to Small Arms Loop - was this: In 1928, there were still routes that hadn't yet reached their full lengths yet. There was also a lot more service being run in 1945 than there was in 1928. Yes, you had the radial lines, but they also had very little service when compared to the city routes.

I guess this could be one of those scenarios where both are right, "but....".

Dan