Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I expect the displays to look as dull as they currently do for the life of the displays (similar to how bad the displays on the TRs still look). The TTC has a history of over promising when it comes to these kind of things, and in the end they dont even try to improve it.

Thats unless a student comes to the rescue and pitches a way to improve them, similar to how a student who was employed with the TTC improved the next vehicle displays on the subway system.

Nevertheless, the displays as they currently stand look pretty bad.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Fixed up? They do work, they just don't display any extra info than the standard 1 line LED display in older buses.

1 hour ago, lip said:

I expect the displays to look as dull as they currently do for the life of the displays (similar to how bad the displays on the TRs still look). The TTC has a history of over promising when it comes to these kind of things, and in the end they dont even try to improve it.

Thats unless a student comes to the rescue and pitches a way to improve them, similar to how a student who was employed with the TTC improved the next vehicle displays on the subway system.

Nevertheless, the displays as they currently stand look pretty bad.

Sorry, hang on a sec here. We got these fancy new LCD screens to do the exact same thing that the old displays did? There isn't even a plan in place to increase their usefulness?

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Sorry, hang on a sec here. We got these fancy new LCD screens to do the exact same thing that the old displays did? There isn't even a plan in place to increase their usefulness?

I'm sure there's a plan. There will probably be advertising in one area, and maybe a message area where they would put system alerts like subway delays, or detours, etc...

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I'm not saying that there wont ever be a plan, but as of now there's nothing concrete in the books. So far it's all just hearsay, similar to the same fluff talk happening when the TRs were first placed into service.

In my view, I dont think we'll ever see them becoming more useful just knowing what the TTC typically does. I'd love to see them prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I'm sure there's a plan. There will probably be advertising in one area, and maybe a message area where they would put system alerts like subway delays, or detours, etc...

Placing some ads is one of the discussions that have been going around. As for system alerts, that would be the kind of information that would actually be useful to riders but seeing as that makes far too much logical sense to place on these screens, I can bet you the TTC wont be implementing that.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Considering how backwards everything is in TO, I wouldn't doubt they avoid it. They could have place stuff like connecting route information but they could claim visually impaired people can't see it. To avoid getting sued, don't put anything there. 

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Considering how backwards everything is in TO, I wouldn't doubt they avoid it. They could have place stuff like connecting route information but they could claim visually impaired people can't see it. To avoid getting sued, don't put anything there. 

How does the TTC get away with subway car maps or service disruption posters, or station information boards?

19 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

20635290-A985-4694-AFE6-E60F47A79C86.thumb.jpeg.761fd0c284f1fcf4da6978f65d7b7b48.jpeg

Why are there overnight streetcar storage constraints starting in the May board period ??

Running out of space in Ronces and Leslie, Russell not ready to dispatch LFs, don't want to pay to secure Ex Loop?

Think the big danger for TTC is that people might respond enthusiastically to 15 min frequency and not want to return to 30...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Running out of space in Ronces and Leslie, Russell not ready to dispatch LFs, don't want to pay to secure Ex Loop?

Think the big danger for TTC is that people might respond enthusiastically to 15 min frequency and not want to return to 30...

It's not like the TTC could afford it on a permanent basis.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's not like the TTC could afford it on a permanent basis.

According to Steve Munro in a twitter message this evening, he is writing a blog post wherein he reports TTC planning to operate such service until 2025.

Does anyone know what's going on with construction at Kipling? Passing through yesterday and noticed they were working on the abandoned RT trench opposite the bus platform (new/cleaned metal cladding on the side and then new/cleaned paving on the ground). Are they expanding the TTC bus platform or is there something else going on?

Just now, wowzhao said:

Does anyone know what's going on with construction at Kipling? Passing through yesterday and noticed they were working on the abandoned RT trench opposite the bus platform (new/cleaned metal cladding on the side and then new/cleaned paving on the ground). Are they expanding the TTC bus platform or is there something else going on?

A new terminal is being built for Mississauga Transit and GO Transit buses. As part of that, they are eliminating some parking, and reworking the kiss-and-ride.

Dan

1 minute ago, smallspy said:

A new terminal is being built for Mississauga Transit and GO Transit buses. As part of that, they are eliminating some parking, and reworking the kiss-and-ride.

Dan

This isn't at the old kiss-and-ride - that's been completely fenced off to the public while they build the new intercity terminal. This is the trench that's attached directly to the main TTC bus terminal (inside the fare-paid zone). I'd be surprised if they shifted either the MiWay/GO terminal or the kiss and ride to a spot where people could just enter the system without paying a TTC fare.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:00 AM, wowzhao said:

This isn't at the old kiss-and-ride - that's been completely fenced off to the public while they build the new intercity terminal. This is the trench that's attached directly to the main TTC bus terminal (inside the fare-paid zone). I'd be surprised if they shifted either the MiWay/GO terminal or the kiss and ride to a spot where people could just enter the system without paying a TTC fare.

Oh, I misunderstood - my apologies.

There was a need to do some building maintenance, which involved replacing the south-facing windows and re-waterproofing the old RT trackway. They have completed the work on the windows, and I guess they are doing the waterproofing now.

They are also building some offices at the east end of the structure as well, onto the trackway area.

Dan

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 11:37 AM, TTCNLFBT said:

This years TTC's Doors Open Toronto 2019 will be held at Bay Lower Station on May 25, 2019.

Are you sure? This was the venue last year, too. Is there a website? The festivities aren't supposed to be announced until May 1.

Today I was at Yonge & Queen around 10 am, there were no major problems on the route or abnormal traffic congestion. Going westbound, there was a flexity car just west of Yonge, then another one stopped at Yonge, another one stopped at Victoria St, a CLRV between Victoria and Church then another flexity just west of Church. All had Humber destination signs, none seemed to be short-turning. In-between them all were two 502 buses. And when you looked down Queen, there wasn't another streetcar or bus as far as I could see. Is severe bunching on Queen like this a regular occurrence ? 

Looks like some of the routes’ reliability got worse after the recent service changes

I waited for 50 Burnhamthorpe bus for 30 min at Islington during the afternoon rush today, and just saw all three buses were bunching up together. (Only three buses run on the route during the afternoon rush).. which is brutal.