Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

23 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I am going to guess and say that this is 7900. I believe that the bus was owned by a film crew around this time. 

Brad O'Brien has a photo of it sitting in a lot at islington and Judson https://www.flickr.com/photos/72644361@N06/8197566587/in/album-72157630587225338/

I would assume it has been scrapped for a very long time now.

I could be wrong but i don't see a 7900 Flyer D-800B on the Wiki. 

Just now, Orion VI said:

Click on the photo link; it says it is from the 7900 series. TTC had Flyer D800 buses from 7965-8004, which would put them in that "series".

Sometimes one has to use their brain cells every once in a while, else they tend to get dusty...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Have a look under the lip of Kennedy station’s rt platform and you’ll see that it was set up with low platforms in preparation for CLRVs as they are currently configured. It’s the same reason there’s a vestigial loop on the west end, and a clerestory roof to accommodate the overhead wire that never came to pass.

The other stations were designed after the 180 degree shift to ICTS cars. 

Had the plan gone through as originally envisioned, they would have had low platforms too, and certainly track gauge for a landlocked and isolated line is really a pretty minor detail in the grand scheme of things.

The plan was changed pretty early on, so there are a lot of hypothetical things we’ll never know the answers to.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Click on the photo link; it says it is from the 7900 series. TTC had Flyer D800 buses from 7965-8004, which would put them in that "series".

Sometimes one has to use their brain cells every once in a while, else they tend to get dusty...

I know see my mistake. Sorry!

3 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

1 minute ago, Articulated said:

Whoops didn’t mean the number 7900. I meant the series. The bus I believe is one of the few 8000 buses from that range.

22 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Whoops didn’t mean the number 7900. I meant the series. The bus I believe is one of the few 8000 buses from that range.

Your probably right as in part 1 of the episode you see the interior of the bus, and it doesn't have a fleet number anywhere to be seen. Neither does the outside of the bus. Now just to figure out which one that is.

33 minutes ago, Orion V said:

This comes with the question that the line has high floor station platforms for the CLRVs which are high floors while Flexities are low floors. And it has standard gauge so I take it a significant portion of the legacy Flexities would have to be built slightly different? Maybe just as different as the 22 CLRVs that were planned to operate on the RT line VS the regular CLRVs?

From transit Toronto: If the Scarborough RT had been a streetcar line, the Scarborough Centre station would have looked very different. The bus platform would have been on the same level as the LRT platform.

subway-5107-03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Your probably right as in part 1 of the episode you see the interior of the bus, and it doesn't have a fleet number anywhere to be seen. Neither does the outside of the bus. Now just to figure out which one that is.

From transit Toronto: If the Scarborough RT had been a streetcar line, the Scarborough Centre station would have looked very different. The bus platform would have been on the same level as the LRT platform.

subway-5107-03.jpg

It's 8000. It's on transit toronto.

• Like 2

An artist’s rendering is a long, long way from engineering blueprints. It may have taken an elevated form regardless. We’ll never really know.

10 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

It's 8000. It's on transit toronto.

Thank you!

For anyone interested, here's what they have to say:

Bus #8000 managed to survive the scrapper’s torch, however, as it was bought up by a film company for use in movies, television shows and commercials. It maintained its TTC paint scheme and TTC interior into the late 1990s, and was spotted helping to sell Trident gum as late as 1999.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orion V said:

Sorry to interrupt the tire topic but I have a quick question about the RT system.

If TTC originally went with CLRV on the RT instead of the ICTS technology, would they have to upgrade it for Flexities now?
How much work would it take to upgrade the system to use Flexities?
They would be using the Line 5 Flexities instead of the legacy Flexities right?

RT is RR gauge I believe. So they'd have to relay track.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

RT is RR gauge I believe. So they'd have to relay track.

It is standard gauge now. It wasn't originally intended that way when the line was conceived, however.

As for relaying track, if the line is to get "upgraded" to handle Flexity Freedoms, the relaying of the track is the very least of your concerns.

Dan

• Like 2

Saw 3448 on the 95 today, 

It has some stickers/decals on it that say "Hybrid Electric" on the front (1071 also has these on the same spot) and a green HybridBus decal on the rear drivers side, behind the last window. 

Does any other LFS HEV have these? 3400 didn't.

40 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

It has some stickers/decals on it that say "Hybrid Electric" on the front (1071 also has these on the same spot) and a green HybridBus decal on the rear drivers side, behind the last window. 

One of the vehicles on Finch East this morning did, but I didn't catch the number.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, Bus_Medic said:

To the best of my knowledge they don’t exist (in 305/70R 22.5) That’s the thing.

I can’t speak for the other divisions, the way my co worker back at Malvern worded his response, it was an executive decision made by the garage manager...but I may well be wrong 

So I went to Malvern to do some OT today and had to drive an artic. Regular tires on it. How many did they equip with those Michelins?

6 hours ago, Orion VI said:

The Nova hybrids that are on TTC property are getting those decals/stickers added to them at Arrow and Malvern divisions and the ones that are being delivered will now have the decals/stickers added at the factory.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

So I went to Malvern to do some OT today and had to drive an artic. Regular tires on it. How many did they equip with those Michelins?

All of them I think.

4 hours ago, 7969 said:

Be prepared for a hellish commute today.  All the snow plus the ice on top of it is probably going to slow down the TTC a lot.

Wilson has removed artics from the 7 BATHURST and redeployed them on routes 52G "Westway", 105, 106 and 117. 

Expect Malvern put theirs again on the 903 KENNEDY-SCARBOROUGH CENTRE EXPRESS and several other routes in the afternoon. Mount Dennis is not willingly to redeploy their artics from the 929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS on other routes since the last snowstorm.

Did they get rid of the verbal "stop requested" when someone presses the stop request on the Vision buses? I remember seeing them a few months ago on the Arrow 31xx but it is not announcing that Malvern's 34xx.

14 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Did they get rid of the verbal "stop requested" when someone presses the stop request on the Vision buses? I remember seeing them a few months ago on the Arrow 31xx but it is not announcing that Malvern's 34xx.

They got rid of it for a while now, apparently it was too "disturbing"

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

They got rid of it for a while now, apparently it was too "disturbing"

I wouldn't have called it "disturbing" but it was really annoying. Glad they removed it tbh.

34 minutes ago, 7969 said:

I wouldn't have called it "disturbing" but it was really annoying. Glad they removed it tbh.

That's what the ACAT committee said about it.

From a post in another thread:

Seems like the change was partially due to recommendations by ACAT where they found that the STOP REQUESTED message was “disturbing”.

From the September ACAT meeting:

DRS indicated that the traditional stop request "ding" is preferred over a disturbing "stop requested" audio announcement.”

And in the October meeting:

“A report was made of a 11 Bayview bus that featured verbal “stop requested” announcements. Feedback had been provided that this is not desired and that the announcements should be in the traditional form of an audible chime instead.”

• Like 1