Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

I’m not certain transit specific tires like these exist.

Montreal, our closest analogue makes their own from all season transit casings and a sipe cutter.

I've been to a Kal Tire retread plant in Oshawa and seen how they rebuild tires. I don't think it wouldn't be hard to make a retread tire like this. Now as far as a new tire....

18 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

This coming Tuesday should be a good trial for those tires as far as snow traction. 

What are the chances they might go with a transit tire like this? I rode on this bus and the ride was smooth. 

Yep.  Freezing rain and ice + Canadian snowfall = Bus driver's heaven. And old-ladies-without-good-balance-and-craving-for-a-lawsuit's heaven.

Don't know if that's what Bus Medic is saying. The issue is Curb Rubbing. That's the side of the tire brushing up against a curb, when the bus services a stop. Don't really know if that affects the smoothness of the ride or not. Bigger tread blocks will work better than all season tires. But, I guess buying two pairs of tires for each vehicle isn't really the best option for a severly underfunded transit agency like the TTC. (speculation = 100)  

5 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Yep.  Freezing rain and ice + Canadian snowfall = Bus driver's heaven. And old-ladies-without-good-balance-and-craving-for-a-lawsuit's heaven.

Don't know if that's what Bus Medic is saying. The issue is Curb Rubbing. That's the side of the tire brushing up against a curb, when the bus services a stop. Don't really know if that affects the smoothness of the ride or not. Bigger tread blocks will work better than all season tires. But, I guess buying two pairs of tires for each vehicle isn't really the best option for a severly underfunded transit agency like the TTC. (speculation = 100)  

So Curb Rubbing is the side of the tire brushing up against a curb? Or is curb rubbing the curb brushing up against the tire?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Rubbing the side of the tire against the curb doesn't change how the bus rides but it does weaken the tire sidewall. Transit tires are reinforced on the sidewalk just for this reason. This is a truck Tire that does not have reinforced sidewall and is probably just for testing purposes to see if attics do better with this tread in the snow. I would be happy with a tire like this year round. It should do well in heavy rain too. 

28 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Now think of how many tires they'll need to store away plus hours of work and hoist availability to prep the entire fleet for the winter

7 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Now think of how many tires they'll need to store away plus hours of work and hoist availability to prep the entire fleet for the winter

Well I think if every employee did their part and helped by storing a set or two depending on any available storage they have I think it could work, now hoist availability that's another ball of wax 

27 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They would just run them all year so no storage or tire swapping needed. 

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

No, I’m saying the curb will chew off the rubber casing down to, and through the steel belts- and the tire will explode. Transit tires have thicker cross sections of both. I don’t know how to explain that any clearer.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

We already cycle them through in the fall and spring for HVAC preventative maintenance, each check is 8 hours a bus. Adding an extra hour for 4 tires wouldn’t cripple the garage. My understanding is all 50 odd artics at malvern were  equipped in short order without fuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

They would just run them all year so no storage or tire swapping needed. 

Long term, they’d want to go back to using transit tires and siping an agressive tread into them, otherwise there’s going to be an epidemic of condemned casings due to sidewall failure....even more than there already is (you can’t retread that, so they’d be a complete financial loss).

Another mitigating factor to consider is that the Goodyear tires are leased, and the ttc can’t go modifying someone else’s tires whenever it suits them. These Michelins are an exception, they were an outright emergency buy.

My prediction is that they’ll try to prolong their life by storing them in spring in some dusty corner of Danforth or 1810 Markham road or something, and keep them for the C axles on the artics only.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Do the C axles rub the curb a lot? I would think it would be less than the front ones?  

They all rub. It's all depends on the operator. Everyone rubs once in a while but for some it's a much more happening occurence. 

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Long term, they’d want to go back to using transit tires and siping an agressive tread into them, otherwise there’s going to be an epidemic of condemned casings due to sidewall failure....even more than there already is (you can’t retread that, so they’d be a complete financial loss).

Another mitigating factor to consider is that the Goodyear tires are leased, and the ttc can’t go modifying someone else’s tires whenever it suits them. These Michelins are an exception, they were an outright emergency buy.

My prediction is that they’ll try to prolong their life by storing them in spring in some dusty corner of Danforth or 1810 Markham road or something, and keep them for the C axles on the artics only.

I ment if there was a transit tire with tread pattern like this that it would be run year round. Since this isn't a transit tire for sure they're coming off as soon as possible to minimize sidewall damage. 

So all of attics at Malvern have these tires now?

What about other divisions attics?

The discrepancies between divisions are interesting too. Talking to the engineering technologist overseeing tire purchasing and durability, Queensway and mount Dennis seem to have noticeably fewer curb rub replacement work orders than Malvern or arrow.

Overall durability is down also with the Goodyear casings versus the Bfgoodrich casings that preceded them, or the Firestones wayy back before even them.

• Thanks 1

Very un-related to the topic, has anyone heard of a collision involving a Toronto Fire truck this week? I've heard rumours but have yet to get confirmation.

17 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

I ment if there was a transit tire with tread pattern like this that it would be run year round. Since this isn't a transit tire for sure they're coming off as soon as possible to minimize sidewall damage. 

So all of attics at Malvern have these tires now?

What about other divisions attics?

To the best of my knowledge they don’t exist (in 305/70R 22.5) That’s the thing.

I can’t speak for the other divisions, the way my co worker back at Malvern worded his response, it was an executive decision made by the garage manager...but I may well be wrong 

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

Doesn’t exist. That’s the thing.

I can’t speak for the other divisions, the way my co worker back at Malvern worded his response, it was an executive decision make by the garage manager...but I may well be wrong 

Maybe it's time one of the tire manufacturers made a transit tire with a more aggressive tread pattern. 

I don't know if it's just me but to me it seems Nova wheels are set a little further inside the wheel well then Orion. I found it easier to rub tires driving an Orion versus Nova. 

There may be a small difference in the rear axle track width between the two...I’ve never been in a situation requiring that measurement at the back. Front, yes- occasionally to set the toe in.

Sorry to interrupt the tire topic but I have a quick question about the RT system.

If TTC originally went with CLRV on the RT instead of the ICTS technology, would they have to upgrade it for Flexities now?
How much work would it take to upgrade the system to use Flexities?
They would be using the Line 5 Flexities instead of the legacy Flexities right?

Random (topic-offsetting) question:

Can anyone identify that D-800B in the Goosebumps episode Attack of the Mutants? The bus appear at least 5 times in the whole episode. Link (around 5:43): We may have to add that to the wiki

• Like 1

Seeing as how the flexities were designed to blend in seamlessly with the network as it is, likely nothing except maintenance facility mods. Likely the CLRVs that would have worked the SRT would have run under pantograph right from day one.

Also, with the single ended CLRVs, that loop at Kennedy would still be in use, and there would have been a similar loop built at mc Cowan, in which case single ended flexities might fit the bill...OR, as time went on, maybe a double ended CLRV variant might have been built, like the ones for San Jose..in which case the track would be laid out pretty much as it is now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Random (topic-offsetting) question:

Can anyone identify that D-800B in the Goosebumps episode Attack of the Mutants? The bus appear at least 5 times in the whole episode. Link (around 5:43): We may have to add that to the wiki

I am going to guess and say that this is from the 7900 series. I believe that the bus was owned by a film crew around this time. 

Brad O'Brien has a photo of it sitting in a lot at islington and Judson https://www.flickr.com/photos/72644361@N06/8197566587/in/album-72157630587225338/

I would assume it has been scrapped for a very long time now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Seeing as how the flexities were designed to blend in seamlessly with the network as it is, likely nothing except maintenance facility mods. Likely the CLRVs that would have worked the SRT would have run under pantograph right from day one.

Also, with the single ended CLRVs, that loop at Kennedy would still be in use, and there would have been a similar loop built at mc Cowan, in which case single ended flexities might fit the bill...OR, as time went on, maybe a double ended CLRV variant might have been built, like the ones for San Jose..in which case the track would be laid out pretty much as it is now.

This comes with the question that the line has high floor station platforms for the CLRVs which are high floors while Flexities are low floors. And it has standard gauge so I take it a significant portion of the legacy Flexities would have to be built slightly different? Maybe just as different as the 22 CLRVs that were planned to operate on the RT line VS the regular CLRVs?