Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Just now, MK78 said:

I heard bits and pieces over the radio, that Flexity 4430 deployed its panto on a non-panto route and some overhead might be damaged, and the overhead crew is being dispatched. It's currently sitting on Bathurst between Richmond & Adelaide.

Are there any pantograph routes?

Just now, WoodbineSecondExit said:

509, 510, 512

But it should be moot because the overhead system was supposed to be converted over by the end of 2016. I think TTC culture got in the way.

Really? Wow. Are there any videos of LFLRVs with their Pantographs extended?

1 minute ago, ttc9432 said:

I haven't seen any..

Just literally take two seconds and search "TTC" and "pantograph" on Youtube. I don't know why that's so hard.

• Thanks 4

Just now, ADB said:

Just literally take two seconds and search "TTC" and "pantograph" on Youtube. I don't know why that's so hard.

Yeah, I just tried that. Sorry, I don't really know much about streetcars.

Yeah TTC is probably the only (or very few) transit agencies that don't use pantograph's, and have only begun the conversion with the Flexity fleet.

13 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

Are there any pantograph routes?

12 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

509, 510, 512

To be more specific, the 512 is the only route were vehicles are only allowed to operate with pantographs and where trolley poles are expressly forbidden. The others are can still use trolley poles in a pinch.

11 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah TTC is probably the only (or very few) transit agencies that don't use pantograph's, and have only begun the conversion with the Flexity fleet.

That is not even remotely close to true, and about 7 seconds of searching on the internet would show that.

Dan

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smallspy said:

That is not even remotely close to true, and about 7 seconds of searching on the internet would show that.

Dan

Well that's my bad, I admit I overheard a conversation one time discussing the poles vs pantographs, and the two people were talking that it was quite unique here and not used much elsewhere. Not sure if they were off duty employees.

26 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Well that's my bad, I admit I overheard a conversation one time discussing the poles vs pantographs, and the two people were talking that it was quite unique here and not used much elsewhere. Not sure if they were off duty employees.

SanFran uses them 

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

SanFran uses them 

And so does Blackpool, England - on infrastructure which has been upgraded for pantograph operation but which sees frequent (but irregular) use by trolley pole-equipped cars. Not to mention the catenary is high enough to support double-deckers and the poles on some of the heritage fleet are raised on platforms so they can reach the wires...

Flexity_2_(Blackpool)_tram_at_Tower_tramBlackpool_tram_720_,_Promenade.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

SanFran uses them 

And Philadelphia...and Boston’s Ashmont-Mattapan line, New Orleans, Memphis, Tampa, Tucson off the top of my head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7969 said:

Anyone know why the 512 doesn't support trolley pole use at all?

The new overhead catenary at St Clair West is a contact-bar system and is not compatible with trolley shoes.

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

Are the LCD screens programmed for Alert Ready? If not, that's something the TTC should consider.

I'll await that day since they can't even get anything useful programmed on the TR screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sightings: TTC Orion VII NG 8205 on marlee ave. with 63s ossington signs, a bit strange. 

I may be wrong as its hard to see at night with reflections and all, but 1500 may be taped. Correct me if i'm wrong. It was dead-heading on Avenue road about 45 mins ago.

The hinge springs holding the fuel doors shut often break. They’ll tape them until the body shop can repair it. Just saying.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

The hinge springs holding the fuel doors shut often break. They’ll tape them until the body shop can repair it. Just saying.

ohhh, ok. Thank You.

2 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

Sightings: TTC Orion VII NG 8205 on marlee ave. with 63s ossington signs, a bit strange. 

They were reporting massive delays on the 63 near Eglinton West due to heavy traffic earlier this evening. Maybe related?

20 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

They were reporting massive delays on the 63 near Eglinton West due to heavy traffic earlier this evening. Maybe related?

I don't think so. The entry codes for the destination sign are very close... operator made a typo

EDIT: you may be right, I saw some other 63s Ossington buses today...

Edited by ttc9432

16 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

T-1 cars 5184/85 have been converted to work cars with two more sets to be converted as well.

Speaking of that, is there any sort of timeline when they will start retiring T1 trains from the BD, and TR start being brought in?

The T1 fleet isnt that old, 1995 I think when they first started rolling out and some from 2001 that moved from the Sheppard line.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Speaking of that, is there any sort of timeline when they will start retiring T1 trains from the BD, and TR start being brought in?

The T1 fleet isnt that old, 1995 I think when they first started rolling out and some from 2001 that moved from the Sheppard line.

There are two projects, either of which will determine the retirement date of the T1 cars:

• Line 2 signal upgrades to ATC
  • Line 2 extension to Scarborough

Similar to the Line 1 extension to Vaughan, any extensions to Line 2 will utilize ATC. At least one of these projects will likely occur in the mid-2020s, and it will not be cost-efficient to do the necessary modifications to the T1 fleet, which will be in the neighbourhood of 25-30 years old at that time and likely ready for retirement anyway.

The conversion of T1 cars to work equipment is because there are more T1 cars than necessary to operate Line 2 service (remember the fleet plan was for the T1 equipment to operate both Line 2 and Line 4), so they can convert a few pairs to work service and replace the aging H1 and H4 cars currently used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5