Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

15 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Where's this BRT going? To Long Branch or downtown. There's no space for a VIVA rapidway down Queen or the problem would be solved already. It also takes 3 years and half a billion to install those white elephant rapidway. 

If they extend the King pilot project all the way to Roncesvalles and operate the 508 again, that would provide a big relief between Humber Bay and downtown. It's the only cheap and effective solution right now. Buses aren't sustainable in the long run. King has a limitation too. Eventually they'll have to build a direct rail link to downtown.

That actually makes a lot of sense. They could extend the pilot all the way to Roncy at least during rush hours, and see how that works out.

39 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

That actually makes a lot of sense. They could extend the pilot all the way to Roncy at least during rush hours, and see how that works out.

Traffic isn't that bad between Roncy and Dufferin. They could just run the 508 in mix traffic and it'll be a lot more reliable than the current 501. To make this work, they'll have to run the 508 very frequently. It'll need a different terminal than the 501L or 504A to avoid getting blocked at loops. They should build that Park Lawn Loop and run the 508 between there and Parliament, not Cherry to avoid blocking the 504A. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:29 PM, BYD said:

Since I read about the Davenport Garage on Transit Toronto, can anyone (@Robert Lubinski, @smallspy and any transit historian here) explain the reason why did it close in detail on January 4, 1993? So far I complied the near-complete list of notable route assignments from Jan. 4 1993 IIRC.

The TTC was in the midst of a huge rollback in service, not just because of a stagnant economy but also because of a Provincial government who was also cutting back on funding as a result of a large downturn in the economy and huge deficits. Without the funding for service, service was being cut back and so there wasn't a need for as many vehicles in service. In that time, two of the smaller and older divisions were shut down - first Davenport and later Lansdowne in 1996.

Had the history been different and neither been closed down in the 1990s, it is exceedingly likely that they would have both been replaced by now. Both were old and small divisions, and not capable of being expanded. This is why Danforth and Old Eglinton divisions were combined into the new facilty on Comstock, and why Birchmount was expanded to its current size around that same size. Queensway is now the only bus division who's maximum capacity is smaller than 250 buses.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:59 PM, 7969 said:

Anyone know why Kipling loop has a short spur to the north of the loop?  Living in the New Toronto area, I've always wondered why this existed.  A former wye possibly?kiplington.thumb.png.f1c9467fe6ea6f542fc672ea8d6c7d40.png

It's called a tail track. They are used to temporarily store disabled vehicles without impinging on service.

Dan

For anyone curious, after being able to open a compartment or two on a 3200 series novabus, I can confirm that the doors are operated electrically.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

For anyone curious, after being able to open a compartment or two on a 3200 series novabus, I can confirm that the doors are operated electrically.

Does this prevent them from slamming open? Ours at Brampton transit are air and have a tendency to whack against the front panel when opening ( granted we are using 1/3 so it may be a 1/3 door issue ) 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Does this prevent them from slamming open? Ours at Brampton transit are air and have a tendency to whack against the front panel when opening ( granted we are using 1/3 so it may be a 1/3 door issue ) 

Air powered Nova doors all have that slamming issue

20 hours ago, smallspy said:

It's called a tail track. They are used to temporarily store disabled vehicles without impinging on service.

The grooves of the Kipling tail tracks have been filled in for some time, and I think the overhead has been removed.

TTC crews were apparently starting to rebuild the loop last week; I would guess that the tail tracks will be gone permanently after they're done. It will be interesting to see if the east-to-north curve survives the rebuild. I think the overhead for that was modernized, same as for the more useful west-to-north and south-to-east curves.

10 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

As if it wasn't obvious by the lack of Nova's typically loud air pressure release lol

I’ve never ridden or driven one so I couldn’t go by that. My shifts start way early and I drive to work.

10 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Only opened the compartment to see. Bus was parked and shut down.

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Fast and smooth opening unlike previous series too. 

A colleague from Oakville was complaining that their electric doors are too slow...must be a settings thing.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, October 27, 2018

LESLIE BARNS PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE – A TTC/United Way event

Includes: Guided tours, silent auction, food and entertainment, streetcar rides, kids’ activities, games, dunk tank, car/motorcycle show, virtual streetcar simulator, TTC vehicles on display. Fun for everyone!
Location: Leslie Barns, 1165 Lake Shore Blvd. E. (at Leslie Street).
Time: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cost: Pay what you can on entry. Proceeds to TTC/United Way Campaign.

From a website that I want to keep it as a low profile.