Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

As far as I know, each identra coil would trigger the "Next train" boxes in the station to show the correct destination. So for those boxes to display the correct destination, every train needed the coils.

Obviously this information would be key during the three-route interline period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Thanks. So all they did was change the signs? When would they use them? I noticed they put them on during rush hour but they put them on quite a few trains. Were these all St Clair West short turns? Or did they have to send another coiled train to change the signs back? Sorry for the Hodge Podge of questions.

As far as I can find, they were only used to change the signs here in Toronto. And yes, specifically they were used for the St. Clair West short turn runs.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

As far as I know, each identra coil would trigger the "Next train" boxes in the station to show the correct destination. So for those boxes to display the correct destination, every train needed the coils.

Obviously this information would be key during the three-route interline period.

In theory though, the coils could have been used for routing. I understand that they were in Philadelphia and New York. I've never found any information about their early usage in Toronto beyond their activation of the "next train" signs.

Dan

• Like 1

Ansaldo still has some literature about the Identra coils on their website (does this mean they still support it?)

https://globalproductsupport.ansaldo-sts.com/productsegments/automation/servicemanuals/usa/5705.pdf

The coils were in use until the early 2000s, I only remember seeing them on the St. Clair West short turns. Until the late 1980s-early 1990s service cuts there were more scheduled short turns, I also suspect they were used then.

Identra coils were also used for route selection on the CTA. I always thought that in the interlining period the TTC handled route selection was handed with punch tape machines, not the coils (which caused problems when the service on the ground didn't match the schedule).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Identra coils were also used for route selection on the CTA. I always thought that in the interlining period the TTC handled route selection was handed with punch tape machines, not the coils (which caused problems when the service on the ground didn't match the schedule).

Yes, I believe the interlining operation depended on punched tape.

But people waiting for the trains needed to know its destination. That's where the coils came in.

I don't have any particular memories of the interlined period, but it seems to me that the destination signs kept working on Bloor Danforth well after the interline was over, and when short turns were few to nonexistent.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, Ed T. said:

Yes, I believe the interlining operation depended on punched tape.

It did. This is seen as one of the reasons of its failure, as the trains had to arrive at the junctions within a specific window of time in order to get their routing. If they missed that window, they would have to wait for the next one - bogging down service.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, Ed T. said:

But people waiting for the trains needed to know its destination. That's where the coils came in.

Precisely. In theory however there's no reason why they didn't use them for the interlining operation, or even later on to indicate to the signalling system what trains were running into the yards at the end of service. It doesn't seem that this was ever done here.

Dan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Yesterday, I found out that TR trainset 547x is running back again.. That unit was actually broken to become a 4 unit test train for Sheppard Line.

It was converted back as a 6-car trainset and in service on Line 1 since 5-6 months ago.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ontario_Transit said:

2 questions

Does 175 operate on holidays?

Where is Hillcrest located?

Both of these questions can be answered with a simple search: if you Google "TTC Hillcrest yard", you don't even have to scroll down the  page to see its exact address.

As to the issue of the 175, the TTC's website has the service information for every single route they operate, it's a treasure trove of information.

http://ttc.ca/Routes/175/RouteDescription.jsp?tabName=route

10 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

Anyone know if they will be running extras for the 22 and 92 today? Or has the union thrown a wrench into these plans as well?

There were definitely extras on both of the 22 and the 92 today, with lots of artics in evidence.

Dan

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:52 PM, smallspy said:

There were definitely extras on both of the 22 and the 92 today, with lots of artics in evidence.

Tons of 92, including a few artics, on Woodbine, when i walked down to the fireworks ... still faster to walk.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, TechnicaProductions said:

I heard it was cancelled outright

that is correct.  I don't know why you are interested.  it is for TTC staff and not bus fans.

2 minutes ago, Kit Kat said:

Ask the ATU113

Unless things change in the next couple of months, there won't be Pizza Pizza Wednesday campaign either in September.