Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

10 hours ago, Ed T. said:

For a while there was an inspector posted at Long Branch, from at least 6 AM to maybe 6 PM. The departures were reasonably staggered. But I haven't seen one out there recently.

And yet, CIS called up in a matter of seconds when the 110B I was on inadvertently (?) became a 110A by running up Brown's Line. You'd think the software could detect that there are four buses laying over, the first two are overdue (to judge by the crowds at the stops), and that all four leave in a group. I was watching from across the street, and it sure looked like they planned it out, too. :rolleyes:

The thing with the TTC is, there shouldnt have to be an inspector posted somewhere to ensure staggered departures. The fact that they have GPS on all vehicles and arent utilizing properly is simply embarrassing.

To me it's simply a matter of a group of people who are unable (either due to a lack of skill or common sense) to space vehicles apart properly.

Fortieth St stop on Lake Shore: in service this morning, not in service this afternoon.  Pah. Makes it less likely that I'll catch the bus to work.

TTC stays up all night for Nuit Blanche

The TTC is making it easier to explore Toronto’s Nuit Blanche arts festival this coming Saturday night/Sunday morning with all-night subway service on Lines 1 and 2, and extended-hours day and group passes.

Trains will run every 10-15 minutes on both lines from 1:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. on Sunday. Day/group passes will be accepted until 9 a.m. Sunday instead of the usual 5:30 a.m.

I've been noticing that Birchmount loves to send 8100s onto 102 for some odd reason. On most weekdays anywhere from 70% to 100% of the buses on it are 8100s. They do the same on weekends but not as much. Is there any specific reason behind this that anyone knows about?

Anyone know the correct date for the renforth station opening? The ttc website says october 25, however i saw this sign that says it will open october 15. 

20171007_133130.jpg

8 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Anyone know the correct date for the renforth station opening? The ttc website says october 25, however i saw this sign that says it will open october 15. 

20171007_133130.jpg

The 32A and 112B/C are already scheduled with Renforth Station as part of it's routing that includes proper running time since early September. The 112C has an extra bus added to the route in this case. The designation signs have already been updated with 32A/112B to Renfoth Stn. and 112C via Renforth Stn. As soon as the station open, the buses will be routed into the station. It's not going to be an issue with running time.

Before the Renforth Terminal can open, there has to be the ribbon cutting by the pols that being organize by Metrolinx, since its their terminal. Then there is to be a customer appreciate day on the first Sat in Nov at this time organize by Mississauga.

The last date I heard from someone who has first hand knowledge was mid Nov for opening day and that was only a few weeks ago. I was by the site over a week or so ago and not ready. Planning on getting up there today to have a look.

Should note Oct 15 is the service board change date for TTC, with TTC having a plan for the terminal when it does open. Sign were posted for the Sept plan opening date as well.

• Like 1

Does anyone seeing Renforth Gateway Hub going into service on Oct 15 or at all this month?? When do you think it will open?? Until it open, TTC can't relocate the buses and routes.

Dufferin Construction who is a sub will wrap up paving for the whole complex this weekend except for a small section for the driveway at the front until landscaping is done.

The whole place still looks half completed. It'll probably be ready by the time TYSSE opens. They'll have to do a lot of rushing if they want it to open earlier.

As if Long Branch isn't exciting enough what with MiWay buses doing U-turns on Lake Shore, now TTC buses will be using side streets.

Long Branch Loop improvements

October 23 to December 10, 2017

Work description

The Long Branch Loop will be under construction during the above-noted period. Crews will be undertaking a number of upgrades including resurfacing the roadway, installing new storm sewers and replacing overhead streetcar lines.

TTC service

Buses which normally use the loop will be diverted westerly along Lake Shore Blvd, south on Forty Second Street, east on James Street and north to Lake Shore Boulevard.

• Like 1

My goodness how many times does the Long Branch streetcar loop have to go under construction. I've actually lost count, but I know it's been at least 3 times in the past 10 years it has been closed for an extended period of time.

It honestly seems like all of South Etobicoke is under construction at this point. While they completed road resurfacing on Kipling, they've now (unsurprisingly) started to cut it right back open again on Horner since the city seemingly cant coordinate anything.

The overhead work at the loop is ridiculous. From January until the fall, the streetcar loop was not in use by anything. Overhead work happened a little bit, however it was proceeding both fitfully and at a snail's pace. There are still new (or old?) poles lying scattered around on the grass that have been there since August at the latest. Now the overhead department gets hot to trot at finishing it, after doing nothing? (I guess their services were urgently needed elsewhere?)

Considering that basically nothing has happened in the Grenadier Pond stretch of The Queensway ROW, I wonder if streetcars will actually run west of Roncesvalles before 2019. :unsure:

12 hours ago, Ed T. said:

The overhead work at the loop is ridiculous. From January until the fall, the streetcar loop was not in use by anything. Overhead work happened a little bit, however it was proceeding both fitfully and at a snail's pace. There are still new (or old?) poles lying scattered around on the grass that have been there since August at the latest. Now the overhead department gets hot to trot at finishing it, after doing nothing? (I guess their services were urgently needed elsewhere?)

Considering that basically nothing has happened in the Grenadier Pond stretch of The Queensway ROW, I wonder if streetcars will actually run west of Roncesvalles before 2019. :unsure:

Honestly at this point I really dont know; and dont forget that Kipling Loop still needs track replacement. I'm not sure if that includes the intersection at Kipling, but if it does than we'll be in for even more entertainment.

12 hours ago, lip said:

Honestly at this point I really dont know; and dont forget that Kipling Loop still needs track replacement. I'm not sure if that includes the intersection at Kipling, but if it does than we'll be in for even more entertainment.

The new panto-friendly overhead at Kipling and Lake Shore includes overhead for the switch for eastbound streetcars to enter the loop, so someone figures that's going to be around for a while. I have once seen a service car (as opposed to a fan trip) take that switch.

Kipling Ave has been totally rebuilt. The tail tracks north of the loop are still in place. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ed T. said:

The new panto-friendly overhead at Kipling and Lake Shore includes overhead for the switch for eastbound streetcars to enter the loop, so someone figures that's going to be around for a while. I have once seen a service car (as opposed to a fan trip) take that switch.

Kipling Ave has been totally rebuilt. The tail tracks north of the loop are still in place. :rolleyes:

Kipling is to be a future RT line and going into Toronto 2018 Master plan for transit update

17 hours ago, drum118 said:

Kipling is to be a future RT line and going into Toronto 2018 Master plan for transit update

Where do you get this? I'd be surprised if any N-S LRT lines get built in Etobicoke. Anyway, a length of tail track would be completely irrelevant to any such project. Not to mention, TTC gauge vs. Metrolinx LRT gauge.

Otherwise, the 110/123/501 buses are indeed looping via local residential streets. I got some nice pictures of OG and NG hybrids running where they will never run again.

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Where do you get this? I'd be surprised if any N-S LRT lines get built in Etobicoke. Anyway, a length of tail track would be completely irrelevant to any such project. Not to mention, TTC gauge vs. Metrolinx LRT gauge.

Otherwise, the 110/123/501 buses are indeed looping via local residential streets. I got some nice pictures of OG and NG hybrids running where they will never run again.

Out of the Waterfront Reset Study. Same for the Queensway to Sherway. I have heard over a decade or so that TTC had a vision decades ago of having a line  on Kipling, but never seen a plan of it. Then you got 512 going to Kipling along Dundas as well a line on Scarlett Rd to the airport.

Mississauga is looking at having 501 going to Mississauga Rd on the Lakeshore since the Hurontario Line will not do the job. Its about 2040-50 time frame.

Even Parliament to Castle Frank is to go into the 2018 Master plan along with the Waterfront/Portland lines.

9 hours ago, drum118 said:

Out of the Waterfront Reset Study. Same for the Queensway to Sherway. I have heard over a decade or so that TTC had a vision decades ago of having a line  on Kipling, but never seen a plan of it. Then you got 512 going to Kipling along Dundas as well a line on Scarlett Rd to the airport.

Mississauga is looking at having 501 going to Mississauga Rd on the Lakeshore since the Hurontario Line will not do the job. Its about 2040-50 time frame.

Even Parliament to Castle Frank is to go into the 2018 Master plan along with the Waterfront/Portland lines.

Based on the recent ridership levels reported for the Kipling South Express Bus, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. 

I would think something like that would only be allowed if the 507 or 508 were brought back. the 501 is already long enough. 

That would be a blessing, and same with Church, Jarvis or Sherbourne. We only have 2 north-south streetcar routes between Broadview and Roncessvales, and they are on the west side. There is no real alternative for going north to Bloor without going to the subway or taking the long and unpredictable 504, 505 or 506.  

4 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Based on the recent ridership levels reported for the Kipling South Express Bus, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. 

I would think something like that would only be allowed if the 507 or 508 were brought back. the 501 is already long enough. 

That would be a blessing, and same with Church, Jarvis or Sherbourne. We only have 2 north-south streetcar routes between Broadview and Roncessvales, and they are on the west side. There is no real alternative for going north to Bloor without going to the subway or taking the long and unpredictable 504, 505 or 506.  

There is no time frame for any of these lines, other going into the official plan for the city.

Don't forget that Six point is now a major development area with plans in place for some of it already.

As for Church, you could take it up to Bloor/Davenport and back down Bay St to Queens Quay. Since Church is to be punch south of the rail corridor, you could do a loop. This would replace the Union Loop in one sense.

There needs to be a split for the 501 and more so if it goes into Mississauga.

6 hours ago, drum118 said:

There is no time frame for any of these lines, other going into the official plan for the city.

Don't forget that Six point is now a major development area with plans in place for some of it already.

As for Church, you could take it up to Bloor/Davenport and back down Bay St to Queens Quay. Since Church is to be punch south of the rail corridor, you could do a loop. This would replace the Union Loop in one sense.

There needs to be a split for the 501 and more so if it goes into Mississauga.

I mean, Church already has streetcar tracks most of the way down. It would make sense to add the extra half-kilometer-kilometer of track and make it an official line. It wouldn't really replace the Union Station Loop, but it could complement it. 

As for the 501 split, you could have the 501 going all the way down the line (but more of as a tourist thing, because it would be the longest streetcar line in NA and as a tripler for commuters), bring back the 507 for the Queensway into Mississauga, the 508 for Lakeshore tripling service (it would make more sense now considering that King Street would likely be LRT or near LRT standards), and finally either make the 503 a Queen Route or have an entire new route dedicated from Neville Park to Humber. 

So, the next batch of LFSes will be numbered 9200-9249. Why did they leave such a big gap after 8219? If the EPA10 VIIs had started at 8220 etc. then there would have been more room to continuing numbering them in the 8900s rather than jumping to 9200s (The Artics are in 9000s and 9100s which makes things confusing). Seriously why did they jump to 8300s when the EPA10 VIIs arrived it makes no sense. :wacko:

1 hour ago, ONQCBusFan said:

So, the next batch of LFSes will be numbered 9200-9249. Why did they leave such a big gap after 8219? If the EPA10 VIIs had started at 8220 etc. then there would have been more room to continuing numbering them in the 8900s rather than jumping to 9200s (The Artics are in 9000s and 9100s which makes things confusing). Seriously why did they jump to 8300s when the EPA10 VIIs arrived it makes no sense. :wacko:

If they started with 8220, the order would end at 8316, which still cuts into the 8300s. I highly doubt they'd number the pilot lfs 8317 or 8320. They'd probably still jump to 8400 with the LFSes.

What a clash of numbering systems. Other GTA local transit agencies generally go by the YYXX format, which makes sense considering they almost never order more than 50 buses in a single batch, or more than 100 in a calendar year. But the TTC is different, of course, typically ordering buses in the hundreds. I probably brought up this before: they could reuse the numbers in the 2000s, from the rebuilt New Looks. I suppose that the TTC wants to reserve that range for potential alternative fuel vehicles, considering the hybrids are numbered in the 1000s. The 3100s could also be used, but that would clash with the SRT cars which will be staying for at least 6-8 more years.

2 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

Big jumps was the norm for each batch between the mid90s and 2011. All new batches start a XX00

(In approximate order of procurement)

6645->7000
7134->7200
7251->7300
7350->7400
7881->7900
7979->8000
1149->1200
1423->1500
1689->1700
8099->8100
8219->8300
8396->8400

It was predicted the 8335-8396 batch was to be labeled 8400-8461, that didn't happen.

Only starting with the 8400 batch, things changed. So starting at 8220 would had made no sense at that time.

26 minutes ago, TransitfanJW said:

If they started with 8220, the order would end at 8316, which still cuts into the 8300s. I highly doubt they'd number the pilot lfs 8317 or 8320. They'd probably still jump to 8400 with the LFSes.

If they were to do so, I believe they would chose 8230 to begin that batch to leave gaps to indicate a totally different batch and reserve numbers for renumbered units (which apparently happens these days).